Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Anyone else getting motion sickness from this game?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

Man i love this game but the camera doing its own thing really makes my head hurt. The driving especially seems to have this effect on me. Its not horrible bad but its enough to give me a headache and slight nausea. Anyone else having these issues or am i all alone in my island paradise sea sickness.

mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By mclakers

No, I haven't. Sorry dude

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By colourful_hippie

Nope not really, the only time that the camera tends to get overly shaky is during cutscenes.

Pixeldemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pixeldemon

What system are you playing on? On PC I noticed that there could be a little bit of mouse lag that can cause a motion sickness response in some people. Tuning (lowering) select graphical options can help this.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sanity

Im playing the PC version, i get it for other games on occasion, but this one seemed to trigger it more the usual because of how dynamic the camera seems to be at times. I just finished playing a bunch of the co-op with and it still triggered a bit but didn't seem as bad as i wasn't using the vehicles. Still i wish there was a way to turn off the headbob as i think that might help but i dont see a option for it.

Co-op is actually better then i thought it would be besides a few bugs and me dieing too many times. Going to sleep now lol.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By Mnemoidian

@dudy80: Have you tried adjusting the FoV? A wider FoV can help with Motionsickness, sometimes.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Alexandru

I never had motion sickness in any game ever. And I remember playing Half Life 2 with FOV of 45. I guess I'm just resistant to it or whatever.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor

@Mnemoidian said:

@dudy80: Have you tried adjusting the FoV? A wider FoV can help with Motionsickness, sometimes.

I was about to suggest this. The only game that has given me motion sickness in recent years was Dead Island, and as soon as I forced a FOV change, it suddenly went away.

If the camera is dynamic, it can be really disorientating if you have a narrow FOV. That's what was up with Dead Island at least - the player character constantly moved his view, tilting it when moving, and it felt horrible until I changed the FOV to around 90.75 (most people are fine with it at 85 or so though).

Finalwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Finalwish

Was sick when I first started playing it, the sprinting made me feel super nauseous. First time I've experienced that from a video game, not nice.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sanity

@Vitor said:

@Mnemoidian said:

I was about to suggest this. The only game that has given me motion sickness in recent years was Dead Island, and as soon as I forced a FOV change, it suddenly went away.

If the camera is dynamic, it can be really disorientating if you have a narrow FOV. That's what was up with Dead Island at least - the player character constantly moved his view, tilting it when moving, and it felt horrible until I changed the FOV to around 90.75 (most people are fine with it at 85 or so though).

Yea, i already have my Fov at 85, dont seem to help me.

MBillie420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MBillie420

I been feeling motion sickness too this is the first game ever to do that been playing games 25 years . It seems like the head bob the other guy mentioned is what's causing it.Im still able to play for a couple hours but does bother me I'm playing on pc but from my couch on a 55" tv

agentdanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By agentdanger

At least on PC, you aren't additionally getting phased by terrible performance.

I find this game to be pretty hard to play on PS3 (360 version apparently has a very similar performance profile), the absolutely terrible framerate at all times makes moving around the world easily disorienting and taking enemy camps is pretty hard due to the low fps induced problems at aiming accurately.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Your 5 cm thick glasses might have something to do with it

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By PhatSeeJay

After two hours of Hotline Miami, nothing makes me motion sick.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan

nope, in fact driving around is one of my favorite parts of the game so far.

I like how bumpy the roads are.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phoenix778m

Nope but I traded in FC2 because I couldn't take it.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm

I feel like any time a first-person shooter is released, somebody always makes a topic saying, "SO IS ANYBODY ELSE GETTING SICK AS FUCK AND PUKING ALL OVER THE PLACE WHEN THEY PLAY THIS GAME?!"

The answer is no. No I am not. Do you get sick easily? I do, and motion sickness from games seems like such a foreign concept.

MBillie420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MBillie420

After just playing and increasing the FOV it helped a little bit but I think I'm not getting motion sick its more like my eyes are always refocussing on all the trees and other stuff entering my sightline causing eyestain but maybe that's just me

osuzoo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By osuzoo08

I have been on the fence about this game because far cry 2 made me sick and playing on a 360 I cant really fine tune a lot of settings

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No issues at 110 FOV.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By BBAlpert

One thing that I noticed that helped me personally was to turn off mouse acceleration. It makes the camera feel slightly less floaty, and that tiny extra bit of control might help against the motion sickness (it did for me, anyways).

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By MoonlightMoth

I've had quite a few first person shooters give me nausea, but I'm unsure as to why as some games cause it (RAGE, Syndicate, Half Life 2) while others do not (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Singularity), and this happens on console as well as PC.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never gotten motion sickness from a game, so I can't really even comprehend the subject because I don't know what it feels like. That said, that must be terrible because I LOVE the driving in this game! It's just very fun and I find it super easy to control (almost too easy because I ace every race without issue).

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PolygonSlayer

The only game I remember getting motion sickness from was Alien Trilogy on the PS1 back in the old days :D lol I don't really know why, but I remember me and a friend playing it and I just got so sick from playing it. I think that might have been one of the first 3D(ish) games I played that ran at close to 60fps, because there was definitely something with the smoothness of that game :S However when I've gone back to play it years later I had no such reaction, quite strange.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By AssInAss

If you get this, then you probably get this from any FPS.

It's meant to happen if you're on top of towers though.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theguy

@dudy80 said:

@Vitor said:

@Mnemoidian said:

Yea, i already have my Fov at 85, dont seem to help me.

Turn off mouse acceleration in the options. That really screwed with me at the start. Everything felt weird and I couldn't place why.

rogismasterful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man!! I'm playing on an Xbox 360 and the way the camera moves in this game is killing me!! Try climbing a tower where you have to jump up to the next ledge and the camera bob up and down. I damn near threw up. I had to fight my vomit Down. WTF were they thinking with the camera movement in this game?!? When you run the way stuff around you blurrs up making me nauseous. I felt this for a short time with Dead Island also, but it past after a while. This games nausea factor seems to be getting worse. The camera movement in Far Cry 3 suck they try to make the game seem dynamic with all this movement when you doing stuff but its just damn annoying and makes me sick to my stomach literally. Sometimes less camera effects makes for more enjoyable play!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.