Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy Chronicles

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 29, 2001

Final Fantasy Chronicles is a game consisting of two SNES ports, Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger - both considered to be RPG classics.

Silver-backed PS1 Discs?

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

So I recently picked up a copy of Final Fantasy Chronicles (the green labeled "Greatest Hits" version), and I was pretty shocked when I opened the case and flipped the discs over. Instead of being black like all of the other Playstation 1 games I've come across in the past fifteen years, these discs are silver, just like a music cd. At first I thought these were fakes, and that I'd been ripped off, but these discs work flawlessly in both my PS1 and my PS3. The labels on the discs seem correct too. They have the proper copyright information and logos, and the label feels like they should (not paper-y or anything like that, they feel exactly like my other Playstation games). I'm going to post a bunch of pics of the discs so maybe you guys can tell me what's going on with these. So far I haven't been able to find anything online about silver-backed ps1 games, except for some douche who's selling a silver backed FF Chronicles on ebay for a thousand dollars. I guess he thinks these are rare, but I doubt it. Anyway, I'm going to get back to Chrono Trigger (I can't believe I never played this, it's pretty rad).

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By vdortizo

You got an HKs... read this (The PSX CD Differences section): http://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_cd_info.shtml

And thanks to you check what I just found, interesting:

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

I googled the spindel number of the FFIV disk (forth pic from the left), and it's the same as the original FFIV disk. I don't know, maybe they're fakes, but the games work perfectly and I only payed about $20 for it, so I guess it's no big deal.

Awesome video by the way, gotta love the old playstation underground stuff.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

If it works roll with it I guess. Glad you're getting into Chrono Trigger. Awesome game.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By destruktive

Yeah sounds like hong kong games.

Did you buy them online?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Well there are blue PS2 discs.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

@destruktive: Yeah, ebay.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By DukeTogo

They could also be resurfaced.  Game shops used to regularly resurface trade-ins removing the black dye layer.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

@DukeTogo: I get ps1 games resurfaced all the time and it never turns them silver, just nice and shiny.

@MarioLuigi: I'm fairly certain these (and the ones that the crazy guy on ebay has) are fake. I wouldn't go spending crazy amounts of money on something like this, and they play exactly the same as the regular black discs anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.