Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

First Impressions on the Characters

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Noodlearms

I'm still in the very beginning of FFXIII and saw a topic earlier about what characters people liked. They seemed to like Sazh, Lightning, Snow, and Fang. Some even liked Vanille and Hope. I can understand Sazh, and Lightning seems alright, but Hope, Vanille and Snow are absolutely painful to listen to. When Snow talks, all he says is about how he's a hero. When Vanille and Hope talk, it's just a serious of gasps and grunts between the two with some whiney bullshit and annoying quirky-ness added in. I cannot see myself ever liking these 3 characters whatsoever, and can't fathom how anyone else could. So, to those of you who like them, why? I don't get it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Noodlearms: I've not played the game, but you should definitely not judge characters based on first impressions.  Character development can go a long way to changing your opinion on characters.
    Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Noodlearms
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Noodlearms: I've not played the game, but you should definitely not judge characters based on first impressions.  Character development can go a long way to changing your opinion on characters. "
    I guess, but the characters seem like the stereotypical JRPG template, aside from Sazh and (kind of) Lightning and most JRPGs bug the hell out of me story/character wise.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Shadow

At the start, I absolutely hated and I mean HATED Vanile.  As the story progresses though, she gets far more likable as you get to understand why she is the way she is.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Noodlearms said:
    " I guess, but the characters seem like the stereotypical JRPG template, aside from Sazh and (kind of) Lightning and most JRPGs bug the hell out of me story/character wise. "
    Taking one of my favorite games "The World Ends With You" as an example, the main character's personality changes dramatically from beginning to end as he learns the value of friendship and teamwork.  In the beginning, he's the stereotypical JRPG protagonist who says he only needs himself and claims that he just doesn't understand people.  In the end, he's much more friendly, cooperative and understanding. 

So yeah, I'd reserve judgement until you see the character arc fully develop.
    Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Noodlearms
    @Shadow: @FluxWaveZ:  
    I guess I'll just have to reserve judgement, then. But seriously, the gasps from Hope and the borderline moans from Vanille are really grating me.
    TheWadeBrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheWadeBrigade
    @Shadow said:
    " At the start, I absolutely hated and I mean HATED Vanile.  As the story progresses though, she gets far more likable as you get to understand why she is the way she is. "
    This.

Unfortunately Hope never becomes less horrible of a character though.
    ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadowofIntent

I grew up with three very annoying younger siblings which Vanille and Hope dont even come close to so i don't mind them at all

ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZeroRegistry

Past a certain point, I actually didn't mind Hope as a character.  Snow and Sazh, I'm relatively indifferent to, however really early on Snow absolutely grated on my nerves.

Now Vanille, on the other hand, I loathe to this day... Something about her voice, coupled with her actions in game.. ugh.  Maybe she gets better? 

djghostmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By djghostmare

After Hope returns the knife to Lightning (I don't want to spoil why), he becomes bearable, mainly 'cause he has nothing to complain about anymore. 
    Lightning is cool. Sazh and Fang are not unlikeable in any way. You may find them bland and less interesting, but they aren't annoying. Fang's voice actress (Rachel Robinson) is the best performer of the main cast. 
    Snow is... endearing... maybe? I just laugh whenever he talks. I understand that that wasn't the desired effect, but I laugh at him instead of hating him. 
    Lastly, Vanille, I like her. My main crew is Lightning/Fang/Vanille. I have to switch to Hope once in awhile (Proud Clad battle) but I stick to her whenever I can. Dude, that little girl can cast DEATH!

FatalError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FatalError

I can honestly say that none of the characters ever bothered me.

Then again, I'm pretty hard to annoy.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By EVHKwick

Snow is like too many douchebags I've met. How anyone could use him in their party is beyond me.

Also, is it just me, or is Fang very 'meh' in regards to character?

thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By thatguy42

Other than Vanille's voice actor and Snow's need to make an uplifting speech at every possible moment, one of my biggest problems was Hope's name.  When I realized his name looks like "Hope Esteem" I couldn't stand him anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.