Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

SE explains why there are no towns in FFXIII

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Edited By Patchinko

Via 1up.

Apparently the reason SE is reporting that FFXIII feels more linear and lacks town is due to technical reasons. At least that's the excuse they're throwing around. 

In an interview with Ultimania, Kitase and Toriyama claim that rendering towns in high definition is difficult.

I think this may also explain some other questionable factors in FFXIII, such as the choice to shift into a battle scene as opposed to fighting mobs in the open world ala FFXII. 

Personally, it sounds a bit like a cop-out to me. In my mind, I know they didn't want to take an extra year to get towns in the game and make everything look as good as it does now in FFXIII (keep in mind, this is arguably the best looking game to date), but I also feel like if they had taken an extra year, they could have gone that extra distance.  

I do think they underestimated how big of a part of the FF experience towns and exploration really is, though, and sacrificed it in order to get a product out faster. Which is not a good thing.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Patchinko

Via 1up.

Apparently the reason SE is reporting that FFXIII feels more linear and lacks town is due to technical reasons. At least that's the excuse they're throwing around. 

In an interview with Ultimania, Kitase and Toriyama claim that rendering towns in high definition is difficult.

I think this may also explain some other questionable factors in FFXIII, such as the choice to shift into a battle scene as opposed to fighting mobs in the open world ala FFXII. 

Personally, it sounds a bit like a cop-out to me. In my mind, I know they didn't want to take an extra year to get towns in the game and make everything look as good as it does now in FFXIII (keep in mind, this is arguably the best looking game to date), but I also feel like if they had taken an extra year, they could have gone that extra distance.  

I do think they underestimated how big of a part of the FF experience towns and exploration really is, though, and sacrificed it in order to get a product out faster. Which is not a good thing.

ajGambino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ajGambino

I agree. 

It's sad to see Square take out a big portion of what makes the experience of Final Fantasy great. I personally liked XII, a lot actually. Mostly because it reminded me of XI, but I hope the game itself doesn't let me down as much as the news about it has.
    Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chuggsy

I don't mind not having towns. Honestly, I tend to spend the least amount of time in hub-worlds possible, for any game. KOTOR, any FF, ME2, Kingdom Hearts, etc. It's usually just full of people with nothing good to say, or I get lost, or it just takes too long to get around. They're not all bad, but I won't miss it in FF13.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot

I thought I saw this thread somewhere before....and yeah it's B.S.
    I'll be a little bit more kinder than previous rants. Better yet, it's now being used as they're new excuse for not remaking FFVII. Everyone knows that remaking that game from a design standpoint, would be a chore due to fans and critics conflicting desires and expectations. But now they can throw blame at making games in "high definition", whatever the hell that means. 
    Granted, it's a better excuse than: "We got like, scheduling conflicts bro!" 

Square on remaking FFVII, regarding NPC's ( Question was regarding God of War HD Release):

If it’s just a case of attaining high resolution graphics, only, then that wouldn’t be that difficult, but if we were to achieve the same graphical standard as in XIII with a PS1 title, then that would be a huge, huge task. Almost unrealistic. Even with a PS2 title it would be difficult. In the case of God of War, there weren’t really that many characters in the game — the main character and some monsters, maybe ten people or so. That would not be unachievable. As with Final Fantasy titles in the past, like on PS1, even just the main characters amount to around 10 people. Then you have all the NPCs, you’re probably looking at about 200 characters total. All with individual textures for the skin, plus costumes, facial features and everything. That would be a really tricky job. 

Really? It would be tricky? Because I've played a bunch of games this generation with hundreds of different NPC's, and they can actually speak, and usually have more than one line of dialog. 
    Are we talking about NPC's you find in town? Or are you talking about NPC's that are contextually tied to the story? Because on both issues, this has been proven doable by multiple developers. I'm looking at you Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, -insert current gen RPG that has more than ten main characters in it's story-  

Even with a PS2 title it would be difficult? Apparently those NPC filled games, like FFX and FFXII, were a figment of my imagination.

The problem is, they have made games, this generation, with towns with and lot's of NPC's. Other JRPG developers, this generation, have made games, with towns with lot's of NPC's

If the retort was that no towns were part of Final Fantasy's XII's overall-design, I would have bought that. But to proclaim a technical issue like this, is more confusing than anything tangible to an excuse.
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Is it really THAT hard to make a town? If it is, then I think they kind of backed themselves into a corner by adding so much detail to everything else  in the game. Especially the characters. Everybody is wearing tons of bracelets, jackets, gloves, necklaces, bows, beads, ropes, straps, buckles, dangling ribbons, baggy shirts, pieces of armor, the list goes on and on. It's like there was a sale at the mall where everything was free as long as you put it on and wore it out of the store.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

I remember reading an article on this about a month ago.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't care if there's a story excuse or technical problems..  Discovering new towns, exploring them, talking to the new people and finding new items in the shops has always been my favourite part of RPG's.  I'm still considering buying the game, simply because it is a FF game, and I may enjoy it when I get into it.. but they're really making it a tough sell, especially coming off the back of ME2.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c1337us

Personally I don't care. And them explaining themselves will only come across as excuses to people who are already ready to jump all over the game. Villages would be cool I guess but they are not the be all and end all. I am going to be happy to wait to get my hands on the game and just judge based on the merits of whats in there.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Patchinko

Yeah, there was apparently a forum post a little while back about the general issue of laziness on the part of developers.  (And yeah, I accidentally posted this as a forum post at first. Whoops!)

I disagree with that stance, though. I do not think it's laziness. I completely think it's driven by the purse. They extrapolate how long it would take them to put together a city and some towns based on the few town-like zones in FFXIII (there are a couple zones with a large number of NPCs that are about as close as the game gets to towns) and decide they would rather get the game out sooner rather than putting in towns.

Hand-in-hand with the lack of towns and cities is a lack of side-games of any sort, really. What side-games there are are honestly pretty pathetic compared to those in past FF games. And that does sadden me, because who doesn't remember some of the fun side-games in other FF games of the past? They had honestly become a staple in the series as well, but they're noticeably absent in this one.

As for the FFVII remake, I have trouble believing they won't remake it in the future. It's a huge pile of money just waiting to be made for them.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Kazona

I think the truthful answer would have been that it would have cost more money than they were willing to spend, and it would have taken more time than they were willing to take. I don't think they were lazy, but I don't buy their excuse of it being too difficult tech-wise either.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By John1912

Hmm, I cant think of a single town in a FF game that I enjoyed running around in (at best I kinda enjoyed the first town in FF7).  I usually disliked running around the towns with a complete lack of direction actually.  Yea, JRPG towns suck balls....Funky camera angles, too many load screens, etc...

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Semition

I don't mind if FFXIII has towns or not. Though it does kinda suck that "It's too hard" was the reason they decided not to include towns.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

Sounds like complete bullshit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.