Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

FF14 is literally the most taxing game on PC?

• 51 results
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Diamond

So I finally got into the open beta after hours of horrendous patching & signup issues.  At this point the game is practically unplayable for me.  I'm getting 10-20FPS no matter what in-game settings I use.  It runs far worse than Age of Conan or Crysis and of course doesn't look anywhere near as good.  I've tried different video drivers and all sorts of other stuff.

In addition, the game has horrendous mouselag and the mouse skips around the screen (no hardware mouse?).  Clicking on enemies or NPCs takes too long.  Battle is clunky and slow, it feels worse than EQ1.

I think this is the most depressing MMO experience I've ever had and one of the worst PC gaming experiences.  :(

Noone talks in the game, there are dozens of people playing but many seem to be Japanese...

Oh yea, I wanted to say that even the benchmark ran / runs many times (literally) faster than the open beta.

Gonna edit in the bits I posted on ffxivcore.com :

Low settings (not min or the lowest, but this is the last low screenshot I got before the servers went down again) :

High settings (not max, but similarly one of the highest shots with FPS in the corner) :

My benchmark results :

>3000, which means according to Square Enix :

I should be able to run it fine on default settings...
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SunKing

What specs?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Diamond
    @SunKing: 
    E8400, 4GB RAM, GTX260...  The specs shouldn't be important because of how much better the benchmark ran, at the very least.  WTF is going on?

I'm reading that supposedly in recent beta versions performance on any Nvidia card < GTX4x0 series has tanked...  Maybe it's just a bug.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SunKing

I really don't have a clue, sorry. I heard the ATi 4800 cards had compatibility problems with the game, but obviously that doesn't apply to you. Weird that benchmark ran badly, as well. And your comp seems to be high enough spec. 

It sounds like an optimization or compatibility issue on S-E's part. I also remember them mentioning how the game had memory issues, thereby delaying the console development.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Your specs are more than enough to run it perfectly. Must be either some weird install issue or what sunking said.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @SunKing said:
    Weird that benchmark ran badly, as well.
    No, the benchmark runs beautifully.  Like 60fps with few drops.  The game never goes above 20fps outside of cutscenes or staring at the sky.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

Yeah i have a similar problem, client is using an amazing amount of cpu.  All 4 cores on my q6600 are around 80-90%    guess fast cpu is needed for this game to run smooth.  i'm using a gtx 480 as well and frames get to 30fps but tank to 19-20fps when npcs are around.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond
    @Marz:  I dunno, but I don't get the sense everyone is having this problem anyways.  I'm looking at some FF14 forums and other places, one guy said he got a 500 in the benchmark and was remarking how playable the game was.  To translate that to my score, I'd be getting 2FPS proportionally.

Something is up in bug town.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Marz

mess around with the ffxivconfig file in the main folder and lower settings, see if that helps.  I tossed it into fullscreen mode and gained like 5 fps.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @Marz:  The config utility?  Yea I've tried even running it far lower than my display resolution with 1/2 buffer (which is the actual rendering resolution).  Tried all the details lowest and max...  The tweaking isn't helping.

Just tried disabling my antivirus and all other background apps, no difference.

I'm thinking it's some incompatability with my specific chipset or sound chip or something.  It's inexplicable.

Just heard from someone with a E8400 overclocked to 3.4GHz that he says his performance is 'pretty good', dunno...  He does have 2x4870s, but I think running <720p eliminated my graphics card.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SunKing

Sorry, I meant "Weird that benchmark ran well", not "badly".

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marz

small patch released a few minutes ago, hopefully it helps performance, i doubt it though heh.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By SaFt

STUPID PATCHER.

I get around 46 Remote connections and 14 local but still it wont download.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno

I'm still trying to simply get a registration code (I've been trying since the open beta started, but have gotten nothing but timeouts). I heard the closed beta had a lot of performance issues, I guess they haven't ironed it out yet. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Fallen189

It's a beta, so it's not optimised perfectly yet. I can't think of much else

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Codeacious
    @Fallen189 said:
    " It's a beta, so it's not optimised perfectly yet. I can't think of much else "
    It's not really optimized at all. You can't pull the "this is a beta card" when the game comes out in less than a month- it's unlikely that this will be fixed come release. Optimization takes a large amount of time and effort to pull off. With all the problems that FF14's been having throughout closed, and now open beta, I fear for what will happen when the game actually launches.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fallen189
    @isnipeyoudie said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " It's a beta, so it's not optimised perfectly yet. I can't think of much else "
    It's not really optimized at all. You can't pull the "this is a beta card" when the game comes out in less than a month- it's unlikely that this will be fixed come release. Optimization takes a large amount of time and effort to pull off. With all the problems that FF14's been having throughout closed, and now open beta, I fear for what will happen when the game actually launches. "
    Yeah I'm not trying to defend it, just offering an explaination for the OP :)
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marz
    @isnipeyoudie said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    It's not really optimized at all. You can't pull the "this is a beta card" when the game comes out in less than a month- it's unlikely that this will be fixed come release. Optimization takes a large amount of time and effort to pull off. With all the problems that FF14's been having throughout closed, and now open beta, I fear for what will happen when the game actually launches. "
    I agree, the game launches this month sept 22nd, what we see now is basically what we'll see in retail with a few minor bug fixes that they'll patch between now and retail release.  They cannot optimize the game engine for performance in that time period.
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By MajorToms

from what I understand they haven't done ANY optimization for this game. They just threw it all together and hoped your machine was good enough to figure it all out. I'm not bashing them or anything because I want to play this game, however, they, like many other devs need to get their act together when putting out PC games.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond

Well, I see one guy with almost my exact specs with my exact problem.  I see one guy with a Q9550 and GTX295 with similar problems too.  Also see some people with lower spec computers getting far better performance.

Definitely a hefty performance glitch going on right now.  Nvidia issues are pretty widespread.

Also, the patcher doesn't work at all right now.  Can't connect to the main server.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By vager
    @Diamond:  
    I believe they recently shut down everything due to heavy traffic.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Jadeskye

it's a beta.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @jadeskye said:
    " it's a beta. "
    No one told me the beta would have problems!!!!!!

Seriously...it's in beta.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SunKing

Yeah, I was gonna say, there's a thread on the [H]ardOCP forums about this issue.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60

I never got a key.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    @jadeskye said:
    it's a beta.
    No one told me the beta would have problems!!!!!!  Seriously...it's in beta.
    When a game is this close to being released, it's not 'beta'.  But MMO's are often in a messy state at launch, true.  Only problem is... well.  To see how bad this one is you have to try it yourselves.

Saying 'it's a beta' isn't being respectful to intelligent consumers, myself, or yourselves.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marz
    @Diamond:  This is just a shot in the dark, but i was thinking this seems to be a problem with nvidia cards.  The benchmark runs great but the beta client stinks performance wise.   
     Find your NVAPPS.XML file, open it with notepad.   Find FFXIVwinbenchmark.exe and replace it with ffxivgame.exe. 
     I'm guessing nvidia just hasn't released a profile yet so it's struggling to run it even though a profile is there for the benchmark.  I'd try it right now but servers are down and i'm going to sleep soon.   lemme know what happens.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Diamond
    @Marz said:
    Find your NVAPPS.XML file, open it with notepad.   Find FFXIVwinbenchmark.exe and replace it with ffxivgame.exe.
    Neither are showing up in my NVAPPS.XML at all.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Marz
    @Diamond:  actually i forgot nvidia doesn't store profiles in nvapps.xml anymore in 256.xx+ drivers.  Have to use the new profile injection tool from nvidia.   I changed mine so i'll post my results later.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Demyx

Its weird to see an MMO require systems this strong. I already know I can't run it. But now, not even a little bit.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SunKing

MMOs have always been some of the most demanding PC games. Massive RAM hogs, they are.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond

I updated the first page of this thread with images.  Also, the newest patch didn't help my performance at all.

Would like to hear from anyone else trying the beta and is having severe performance issues.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Geno

Kind of weird how many people with NV cards are experiencing such performance issues, this is a TWIMTBP game after all. I remember the benchmark not even supporting SLI or fullscreen. 

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By aleryn

It's probably just not optimized worth a damn yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047
    deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, runs like shit on 9800GTX+ 512 VRAM, 2.8 GHz Q9550, 4GB RAM. Seriously, Age of Conan looks and runs better than this. AoC is hardly optimized and had a shite engine last time I played it back in June.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scarace360

So are you saying that if it runs this bad on the pc it will run at 3 fps on the ps3?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
    @scarace360:  I'm not convinced it'll ever come out on PS3.

My other theory is since the Cell is such a powerful CPU, the game is completely CPU limited on PC (because it sure as hell isn't GPU limited).
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By scarace360
    @Diamond: good sir that is true. But if this beta goes as bad as its going now they will either have to launch the game completely broken or push it back a couple weeks.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Geno
    @Diamond: Despite the problems that you and many others are having, I wouldn't say the game is significantly CPU-limited either. Many of the people who post on tech enthusiast forums show significantly (and predictably) different FPS and benchmark scores with different graphics cards and comparable processors, which as you probably know, wouldn't be the case if the game was CPU-limited.  

My guess is the game is just buggy. The closed beta was riddled with bugs, and days before the open beta was released, "critical bugs" were still being mentioned. There might be a memory leak issue somewhere, or perhaps it's just not compatible on certain configurations. Another possibility may be that the current drivers from NV aren't fully optimized for the game yet.  

Yet another possibility might be server issues on their end; I have no technical explanation for this, but in my personal experience sometimes latency or lag can translate to low fps in online games. Once I brought a laptop of mine to a hotel with a bad connection and Guild Wars showed only 15-20 fps; on my home connection the game would easily play at 60 flat. This could possibly be an explanation for why the benchmark (which is run locally) ran with no problems, but the actual game is. Their servers are being overloaded right now so there could be some connection problems for some users. 
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SunKing

It would be a bold move scrapping the PS3 version of the game considering the amount of people who would likely buy it.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By Catolf
    @SunKing said:
    " It would be a bold move scrapping the PS3 version of the game considering the amount of people who would likely buy it. "
    considering I have the ps3 version preordered
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By sagesebas
    @SteamPunkJin: It should at least be playable, which it obviously is not here
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jiggah

I turned off Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field.  Those really kill performance.  The performance still isn't what it should be for this type of game.  Also, the lack of a hardware mouse option is stupendously stupid of them. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho

Yikes. They need better programmers, there must be a ton of hidden junk in there.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By meteora

This sounds like a VERY unoptimized game if you can't even run it with your GTX260. Might be some weird installation problems though.

plarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By plarx

Hey this might be a solution to the problem, run the game in window mode and open up task manager. in the processes tab find the programs process should be ffxiv... and check its priority. Its most likely set to low so set it to normal. You may have to restart to see improvement but log into a character just to check it. I've seen people go from 15 to 50 fps by switching this, it depends on the strength of your processor. if your running an oc'd i7 then this probably wont change much other then load times. Now you'll need to get a program to save the process priority so you don't have to keep changing it to normal, also because at least for me every time I alt tab in full screen it crashes the client. Hope this helps you, if it does I'll look for the program I'm using and link it.

@OP, ya this sounds like its the problem for you based on your processor and whats occurring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047
    deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plarx said:
    " Hey this might be a solution to the problem, run the game in window mode and open up task manager. in the processes tab find the programs process should be ffxiv... and check its priority. Its most likely set to low so set it to normal. You may have to restart to see improvement but log into a character just to check it. I've seen people go from 15 to 50 fps by switching this, it depends on the strength of your processor. if your running an oc'd i7 then this probably wont change much other then load times. Now you'll need to get a program to save the process priority so you don't have to keep changing it to normal, also because at least for me every time I alt tab in full screen it crashes the client. Hope this helps you, if it does I'll look for the program I'm using and link it.  @OP, ya this sounds like its the problem for you based on your processor and whats occurring. "
    Lol.. don't know how I never saw that. I went from 20 fps to 60 fps. Also using the hardware mouse patch and the experience seems a lot more enjoyable. Thanks.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Diamond

It's too late, I uninstalled the thing when it refused to download the latest patch properly.

zerolon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zerolon

Hi, im running a dell xps with intel(R) core(TM) 2CPU 6420@ 2.13 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram and NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS. Really had no trouble with most games but i cant play ff14 at all. Takes forever to log in and when i do my character moves about 5 sec after i try to move him. Do you think its my PC or the FF14 sever. Plz Help!!!! 
      thanks

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @blitzkriegblizzard said:
    " @plarx said:
    " Hey this might be a solution to the problem, run the game in window mode and open up task manager. in the processes tab find the programs process should be ffxiv... and check its priority. Its most likely set to low so set it to normal. You may have to restart to see improvement but log into a character just to check it. I've seen people go from 15 to 50 fps by switching this, it depends on the strength of your processor. if your running an oc'd i7 then this probably wont change much other then load times. Now you'll need to get a program to save the process priority so you don't have to keep changing it to normal, also because at least for me every time I alt tab in full screen it crashes the client. Hope this helps you, if it does I'll look for the program I'm using and link it.  @OP, ya this sounds like its the problem for you based on your processor and whats occurring. "
    Lol.. don't know how I never saw that. I went from 20 fps to 60 fps. Also using the hardware mouse patch and the experience seems a lot more enjoyable. Thanks. "
    You should not have to do that. They should know how to code there own damn game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.