Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Let's Talk Final Fantasy XIV

Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Stunt
    Final Fantasy XIV Online
    Final Fantasy XIV Online
    Next to The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XIV Online was one of the best announcements this E3. Mr. Tretton really surprised me (I thought he was lying at first). So now that the next online game is coming out, let's discuss. Square Enix has already stated in an interview they want this to be the best Final Fantasy ever. So with such ambition, what could Square possibly do with the game? I know they said it's going to have more of a real-time battle system than Final Fantasy XI (here's hoping for something like Final Fantasy XIII) and that there will be no experience points. Since watching the trailer in 1080p (download it off the Japanese PlayStation Store; don't know why it's not on the US Store), I've gotten more excited for this.

Square's said they've acknowledged their errors in Final Fantasy XI and I really feel that this could potentially be one of the best online game's around come its release.

So what are you expecting from the best Final Fantasy?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

I'll check it out but tbh, I would much rather play The Old Republic.

Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Stunt

The Old Republic looks great but I'm not much of a Star Wars fan. Also more of a console fan as well, not a PC gamer.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pazy

Im looking forward to it only because of how much I liked FFXI (though I didnt play it enough). As long as they modernise the technology, like a streaming world rather than interconnected maps, and make the controls work better (I hated how it controlled on PC, easier to play on 360 which is wierd for an MMO) then im basically sold. Though id almost rather play FFXI because at this point there is so much content there to play through, rather than hitting a wall and waiting for it with a new game.

Cant wait to hear more though :)

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Given how well the Dev. Team for FFXI holds up their promises...I'm expecting a pretty broken game at launch with it really shaping up into something playable in 2 or 3 years after that. The interviews with them don't seem to make much sense ( http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309 ), even citing that they don't have the final combat system nailed down.

"Players looking for action can start sharpening their blades in anticipation for a battle system that takes a marked departure from Final Fantasy XI.  In order to make the battles interesting and have lasting appeal, there will be a number of strategical elements added to encounters.  They imply there will be a learning curve of sorts - beginners can expect simpler fights as they get the hang of things, while hardcore players looking to test their mettle can find serious battles that require much more cunning.  It will not be realtime, action style encounters, but rather a number of more cerebral aspects."

"As for enemies, there will be instances where you face one at a time and others where you take on a bunch, but nothing more could really be said, as it has not been fully fleshed out at this time.  Tanaka admitted the Battle System as a whole has not yet been perfected because that is something beta testers will need to take a crack at. 

As for 'real time' battles, FFXI plays essentially like FFXII, which many people felt was 'real time'. It's turn based combat boiled down so that you only have to activate special abilities, swings are handled automatically, I would be nothing short of shocked if this was NOT the system for FFXIV.  I think SE is making a lot of vauge promises at this point, including the release date(2010 lol...wait for the delays). I keep getting a distinct 'Molyneux' vibe from all this early chatter. SE is making really big promises that I just don't think they can hold up.
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Kiemoe

I never got into XI, even though I really wanted to, I just didn't have the hardware  to play it on any system. So it's really awesome they're giving me another chance, and an MMO on my PS3 sounds like it could be really enjoyable.

Alias01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alias01
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

my level of concern went off the cliff into the abyss the moment the words'online' were flashed.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gruff182

It annoys me that they call it 14. Now theres going to be a gap in my collection like 11.

Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stunt
    @Gruff182 said:
    " It annoys me that they call it 14. Now theres going to be a gap in my collection like 11. "
    lol, looks like you'll have to get FF12 and 13.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Patchinko
    @Alias01 said:
    " Yeah, I probably would not be as excited as I am now for FFXIV if I had not played FFXI, which was an awesome game.
    I'm sure FFXIV will be just as awesome, if not awesome-er.

Here's some new information that was not covered in SE's Q&A Conference, in case anyone's interested:
    "
    Yeah, if not for having played and loved FFXI (despite its numerous flaws), i would probably not be as psyched as I am about FFXIV.

I did feel like FFXI did a couple of things really well, especially the jobs system (subjobs were an especially good idea), the focus on storyline, and the uniqueness of all the jobs. At a time when MMOs tend to have a great deal of homogenization (especially WoW), I'd love an updated FFXI type game that fixes the problems it had (forced grouping with practically no soloing, ridiculous death penalty, very difficult crafting) while retaining its strengths.

I'm looking forward to it. I think it would be difficult for them to botch it, and it'll be released in a year at a time when WoW has really become a dinosaur, so it's a good opportunity.

I think a lot more people are interested in the KOTOR MMO, which will also hopefully deliver, but I'm personally more excited about FFXIV!
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By daz0608

Not really interested in it as it's an MMO

This picture sums it up for me:

No Caption Provided

Alkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alkar

From what I've read from interviews and different forums, it sounds like they're going to be removing the EXP system entirely. Crazy idea in an MMO, but I've also read a few hints and such about the importance of weapons in the new game. They may be using the same kind of system as Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, where you learned new techniques from using a certain weapon for a certain amount of time. It's not a terrible system, but I'm sure that if that's the case, certain weapons will be very pricey on AHs.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mercator

I love that its called 14, and is essentially XI-2.

I also love how FF fans are crying about this...deal with it. It is a day one purchase for me.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It's a MMO, who cares?
    Versus 13 is my 14.

Hell, I didn't even consider playing the Old Republic, why would I play 14?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Well I'm one of the people who can't wait for this, I think it will be awesome : D

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

I've got some family who are deeply hooked into FFXI, and I'll tell you, that is one of the most boring shallow MMO's that I've ever seen. I really hope they can make a compelling MMO out of FFXIV, because it has awesome potential. There's so much about Final Fantasy that could make a great MMO, the specific jobs, the lore, the power of the PS3 and PC are all capible of making a great MMO, but FFXI is garbage.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By samcotts
    @Daz0608 said:
    " Not really interested in it as it's an MMO

No Caption Provided

"
    Exactly how I felt. The trailer looked good up until this point.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killdave
    @Daz0608 said:
    " Not really interested in it as it's an MMO

"
    Sooo true. FF MMO = PASS
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Keeng

I disagree profusely with all the Final Fantasy MMO and FFXI-XIV hate. Eleven certainly deserves its spot in the numbered FF games. It's an excellent title, a fact that has contributed to its status as the only successful console MMORPG ever. Take into account that the game is still thriving (even in the PC market) while huge, new, technically astounding MMOs have been released and shut down in the wake of WoW. XIV will most likely be even better than XI considering that they've been working on it for half a decade and they've illustrated with FFXI that they're more than willing to make changes based on user feedback. Honestly, I thought the announcent of XIV was the single biggest E3 news so far this generation. I have at least a dozen games I'm looking forward to but this will be the only day-one purchase for me. 

And what's with this BS about FFXI launching broken? That's flat out not true. You must have it confused with WoW or Age of Conan, two games that were literally unplayable at launch. 
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By meptron

In order for it to be the best FF ever it would have to not be an MMO. So I guess it's not going to be the best FF ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meptron said:
    " In order for it to be the best FF ever it would have to not be an MMO. So I guess it's not going to be the best FF ever. "
    I thought FFXI was awesome, even though a little hardcore.
    IMO it ranks up there with the top.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By meptron
    @Bucketdeth said:
    "
    @Meptron said:
    " In order for it to be the best FF ever it would have to not be an MMO. So I guess it's not going to be the best FF ever. "
    I thought FFXI was awesome, even though a little hardcore.IMO it ranks up there with the top. "
    Well, if you're into MMOs I'm sure it's well made. But the problem is that many FF fans like FF games for the rich and satisfying single player experience and story. MMOs are a totally different genre from what the main series numbered FFs are supposed to be about. When FFXI came out I felt cheated out of a FF game because I don't play MMOs. Now I feel the same way about FFXIV. I won't play it and I don't consider it to be a real main series FF.

Still, if you're into MMOs I can see why you'd say it's set up to be the best FF MMO ever, but I think there's an important distinction there.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolemnOaf

Well, I never played FFXI, but I can tell you that because of the type of game that it was, it totally tarnished the reputation of FF and shouldn't even be regarded as a video game, let alone an entry into the prestigious ranks of the True Final Fantasy collection. 

J/K, I was addicted like hell to the FFXI beta on 360 and the only reason I didn't continue is because I threw my marion talon at an enemy like an idiot because I was experimenting with lots of different classes and forgot to re-map my hotkeys.   Then this jerk wouldn't sell me one of the hundreds he'd farmed for a reasonable price so I killed the character.  RIP Haabbyopabbyo lvl. 41 RDM/NIN with tendencys for BST/RNG/MNK.  I miss that little Taru.

Whoops, forgot to address the thread subject.  I'd like to see more emphasis on soloing and about a %30000 increase in griefing potential.  Say if I'm trying to kill a boss for a quest, and some douchebag warrior is provoking it over and over again when I only need to kill it once, I should be able to issue a challenge that he would have to accept or be automatically ejected from the area.  As a matter of fact, the game would be vastly improved if they just opened up the option to kill any warrior anywhere, at any time, for any reason.  Seriously, declare open season on WARs and I'm a subscriber.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @SmugDarkLoser said:
    " It's a MMO, who cares?Versus 13 is my 14. Hell, I didn't even consider playing the Old Republic, why would I play 14? "
    So because you don't care, nobody cares?

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Keeng
    @Meptron said: 
    Well, if you're into MMOs I'm sure it's well made. But the problem is that many FF fans like FF games for the rich and satisfying single player experience and story. MMOs are a totally different genre from what the main series numbered FFs are supposed to be about. When FFXI came out I felt cheated out of a FF game because I don't play MMOs. Now I feel the same way about FFXIV. I won't play it and I don't consider it to be a real main series FF.

Still, if you're into MMOs I can see why you'd say it's set up to be the best FF MMO ever, but I think there's an important distinction there.
    "
    While FFXI lacked the rich and satisfying single player experience, for obvious reasons, it certainly had story. More importantly, it had a story
    with history that you could experience. Think FFVII's Midgar. Now think about the events that led to that game's Midgar: the oppression of the people in the slums, the rise of mako power, etcetera, that you'll never see. FFXI's story had a world when you started and then let you discover why and how that world wound up being what it is via its plot. 

If you feel like you were cheated out of a FF game because you don't play MMOs then honestly, you cheated yourself out of a FF game by writing off an entire genre. I don't feel cheated out of Star Ocean IV because I no longer own a 360. I made the choice to only have one console and I have to deal with the consequences (or unexpected benefits because I hated the third Star Ocean). Anywho, you get the point.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By L33tfella_H

I really do hope it's good..since i remember me and some friends got FFXI starter packs and wanted to try the game out....5 minutes into the game, we all uninstalled it(not kidding here, we genuinely were not interested).

Definently would like a nice FF MMO experience..also, no experience points?

pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pplus0440

fFxI IS MY FAVORITE ONE. so i am stoked for this and they said they were working on integrating communites, i hope that means we get to cross over charectars or somethings

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @pplus0440 said:
    " fFxI IS MY FAVORITE ONE. so i am stoked for this and they said they were working on integrating communites, i hope that means we get to cross over charectars or somethings "
    That's not going to happen.  They've already said that characters will not be transferable between the two games.

And why would they be?  Wouldn't that offset the balance for new players?  Wouldn't you be skipping basically the entire game if you carried over a max level FFXI character?  If you use logic, you'd realize that it makes no sense.
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PowerSerj
    @pplus0440 said:
    " fFxI"
    Why did you do that?

I missed out on XI so I'm a gonna give XIV a shot. Or I say I will and will then realize that, oh yeah, money an shit what with the whole mmo thing. :/

Or maybe I might not do either of the above.
    roddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By roddra
    @Meptron: Always been bothered by 'supposed to be about.' The developers know what the game is 'supposed to be about' because it's theirs.

FFXI has provided the rich storytelling and character development I've adored for years, and gave me the opportunity to share all of that with my family. The notorious 'Online disappointment' during the announcement, as depicted by kind Giantbombers earlier, was by far the highlight of E3 for me.
    Banjo_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Banjo_ace

this seems like a good place to ask would you recommend this to someone who likes final fantasy but has never played a mmo? 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Willy105

I'm more excited for 14 more than I am with 13. Final Fantasy online sounds great!

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By End_Boss
    @SmugDarkLoser said:
    " It's a MMO, who cares?Versus 13 is my 14. Hell, I didn't even consider playing the Old Republic, why would I play 14? "
    Why are you posting in this thread if...
     Oh wait.
    You changed your avatar, Smug.
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35  Edited By zyn

From what I've seen, just looks like FFXI.  And I didn't enjoy FFXI.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Whisperkill

Let's not...
    irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By irishjohn

Let's not talk about it, but say we did.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Xeiphyer

The nice thing about mmos is that if they fuck it up somewhat they can always fix it after launch :P

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rio

I played XI for quite a while.  I quit when groups started to take too long to get going and my level progression stalled.  I am very interested in FFXIV, I had some of my favorite mmo experiences with XI and am very excited with the option to do some soloing when I want to.  I will wait for news on the beta and do whatever I can to get in it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.