Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

I have a weird relationship with FF games, should I get this?

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Considering the "premium" edition which is on sale for $30 on PSN, but ends soon.

Final Fantasy 7 was the first FF game I've played and I loved it as it was my first exposure to any game like that. I've played every (single player) FF game since then, yet I can't say I really, truly enjoy them. It's almost like I play them out of some weird "academic" fascination with them. For example, I played all three FFXIII games (on PC) and I think they actually all straight up bad games in one way or another, yet I still played each to completion.

I haven't really been fond of JRPGs in general since becoming an adult, I do however love game Skyrim, Witcher 3 and "western" style open world RPGs.

What worries with with FFXV is the MMO-trappings. FFXII was by far my least favorite of the games in terms of gameplay.

I know I'm asking perhaps way too much of an open ended question here, but would you recommend the game for me?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sweetz said:

For example, I played all three FFXIII games (on PC) and I think they actually all straight up bad games in one way or another, yet I still played each to completion.

What worries with with FFXV is the MMO-trappings. FFXII was by far my least favorite of the games in terms of gameplay.

You would hate it. It's somehow worse than XIII and XII actually had MORE gameplay than XV manages.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab7e03c73d22
    deactivated-5ab7e03c73d22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i definitely wouldn't compare it to skyrim/TW3 at all, FFXV's sidequests are pretty shallow and underdeveloped, a lot like the main story. i say this as a lifelong fan of FF4-10. it looks beautiful and the characters are pretty charming if you can get over not having real characters classes (i couldn't). still it might be worth trying at its new $20 price tag.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Sounds like no but how come you don't want to play XV for academic reasons?

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Axersia

Well, FF15 is certainly the most worthwhile FF to play for academic reasons considering its 10-year development cycle. It's quite fascinating to see what the end product turned into, but if you haven't followed the game for its full 10 years (plus the subsequent year of trying to fix a broken unfinished game) like I did, you're not gonna have any of that context.

So based on what you've said I'm gonna say no, you don't really need to play it. I mean, is the game even done yet? They added new cutscenes just last month.

Sit this one out for a little while longer and go grab yourself a copy of Nier Automata.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I also think you would regret spending that money pretty quickly. Don't spend it (or spend it on something else)!

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like no but how come you don't want to play XV for academic reasons?

I want to, hence my considering it, but I'm really trying to break myself of that compulsion. All the time I spent on the XIII games, I cursed myself for spending time on that when I could have been playing something I enjoyed more.

To be fair, there are parts of all the XIII games I liked, but not enough to justify the 50+ hour time investment those games require.

@axersia: Already bought Nier and about to start playing it soon. If I get FFXV, I probably wouldn't get around to playing it for a while, but I'm not sure the next time it will be this cheap.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@sweetz: If you're not going to play it right away, take my word, this game will be heavily discounted, frequently.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright thanks everyone, I think I have the psychological push needed to skip it for now if not forever. I've got enough other games in sale anyway (Nier as mentioned, the Horizon DLC, and Uncharted: Lost Legacy) that will already take up more time than I have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.