Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

Favorite Battle Music

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Favorite Battle Music (88 votes)

Final Fantasy 3%
    Final Fantasy II 0%
    Final Fantasy III 0%
    Final Fantasy IV 10%
    Final Fantasy V 6%
    Final Fantasy VI 17%
    Final Fantasy VII 9%
    Final Fantasy VIII 16%
    Final Fantasy IX 8%
    Final Fantasy X 10%
    Final Fantasy XI 0%
    Final Fantasy XII 0%
    Final Fantasy XIII 10%
    Final Fantasy XIV 6%
    Final Fantasy XV 6%

I'm in the middle of my play through of Final Fantasy XV and as you drive around you can you can play soundtracks from the other Final Fantasy games. Listening to a lot of them brought up the question of which Final Fantasy had the best battle theme music. I mean the full OST is debatable as I'd argue pretty damn hard for Final Fantasy VI. However VI doesn't have my favorite battle theme. My mind when I think of Final Fantasy Battle Theme always goes straight to Final Fantasy IV.

I included the MMO's as well so take your pick. If this is a duplicate poll from somewhere else I'm sorry.

• 
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

The newer ones I think have more than one but I really like Desperate Struggle from FF13. 7 and 8 definitely have good ones. 13-2 Dash and LR Criimson Blitz is good also. But it's FF, at least most everyone can agree about the music being good. :D

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

My favorite battle themes:

1. FF 15

2. FF 13

3. FF 8

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cloudymusic

"Battle theme" is sort of a vague category (especially since most of the games have more than one) but if we're opening it up to anything that plays during a battle, naturally the two MMOs are going to be pretty hard to beat since there's such a wide variety. My vote went to XIV for that reason. A couple nominations (spoilers sorta?): one, two, three, four.

If we're comparing only "normal vanilla-ass battle themes" and leaving out even boss themes, uh, I guess FF7 would get my pick.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By Slag
    Loading Video...

Always been partial to laguna's battle music from 8

Nightcrawlah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Extreme is the best FF battle theme of all time.

But if you're talking normal battle music I'd also pick FF8.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zirilius

@cloudymusic said:

"Battle theme" is sort of a vague category (especially since most of the games have more than one) but if we're opening it up to anything that plays during a battle, naturally the two MMOs are going to be pretty hard to beat since there's such a wide variety. My vote went to XIV for that reason. A couple nominations (spoilers sorta?): one, two, three, four.

If we're comparing only "normal vanilla-ass battle themes" and leaving out even boss themes, uh, I guess FF7 would get my pick.

To me it's anything in the OST that is called Battle I/II/etc or Battle Theme. It is vague though and if you want to include boss fights then by all means. I would exclude boss fights as they typically have their own such as Dancing Mad or One-Winged Angel because if we included Boss Fights XIV would be up there.

I will say the battle music for XV is really freaking good but I can without much thought always start humming IV's. All others I'd be hard pressed to remember. 8's would be a close a second.

Loading Video...

I think this would be a close list of everything I'd consider as the "main" battle themes (minus the inclusion of XIII-2)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

I really dislike 8 in general, but the battle music is top notch. Other than that I have more sentimental value placed in 6,7 and 10. 7 probably being the one that edges out.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot how much I liked IV's, but then I listened to IV and remembered. So, IV is my top pick.

Top 3:

1. IV
    2. VII
    3. XI
    Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

VI all the way. It checks all the boxes. Its intro sounds good while being very quick and concise, so it doesn't start grating on you as you continue to hear it a million times. The main part of the song gives off a vibe that can either be interpreted as vile danger or heroic badassery -- meaning it feels appropriate whether you're cleaning house or struggling against a hard foe. To that point, after about 35 seconds, it takes a more intense turn. Easy fights are over long before this, which means this section of the song is reserved for something that's actually giving you trouble. And it does its job there well, before bringing it back to the main verse with a few optimistic strings -- "keep on frighting!!"

Also the synth is good, and holds up to this day.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FFVIII has good battle music and it's also my favorite FF game

zorban_zorban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely loved number IV. And I've played the GBA version.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a die-hard VI fan, and it's music is undeniably amazing, but I love XIII's theme despite not really liking the actual game that much.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If we are talking regular battle theme: VII. If we are including all battle themes as a whole: VIII.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta go with VI, just because the battle theme and boss theme are both pretty good.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This counts.

Loading Video...
    championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell. XIV battle theme rips.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

8 has the best soundtrack in the series but I think their battle theme is a little weaker. I'd probably say 9.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with final fantasy 8's battle music. It's the only one that stuck with me over the years. I can safely say with (two exceptions) that i have completely forgotten the soundtrack/music to every final fantasy game except Eights because I loved it so much.

*The two exceptions wereClash on the big bridge (FF5) and One winged Angel (FF7)

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely ecstatic to see FF8 getting love here though not seeing the better battle music posted is a bit of a bummer

Loading Video...

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roninenix
    Loading Video...

My new fav is from FFXV. The one I liked the most before that is from IX.

Matticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Matticus

This, always and forever. No other song evokes desperate struggle the way this one does for me. That and it just rocks. Used the DS version because I think it's a great remaster. That being said, I'm really happy to see all the love VIII is getting. The Man with the Machine Gun is absolutely one of the best songs ever.

Loading Video...

P.S. I know it's technically a boss theme, but I just love it too much. I still vote IV even if we are talking random battle songs. Just let me have this.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with IV. VII is a distant 2nd.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Do boss battles count? Then, probably this one from X:

Loading Video...

Otherwise, VI and VIII are my favorites

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was SO disappointed when FF14 only had ONE freaking song when you buy its soundtrack in FF15, what the hell?! They don't include any of boss themes, none of the dungeons themes, or anything. FF14 has an incredible soundtrack! Seriously, the soundtrack was probably a reason I stuck with it as long as I did. All of the primal boss themes are great, but my favorites are probably:

Loading Video...

This is just a kickass theme. Really gets you pumped up to kick her ass.

Loading Video...

Honestly this one I like just because I have a great memory associated to it. During the fight our other healer got knocked off along with a few of our DPS, so I had to solo heal the entire fight, and I actually managed to freaking do it. It went down to the freaking wire several times though, and I ran out of mana so often. Great times.

Loading Video...

Who DOESN'T love this song with its nigh incomprehensible lyrics? This is my absolute favorite boss in the game, seriously, extreme Titan is SO damn fun to fight. Even if you cheese it and fight him at a higher level, he's still tough because you NEED to know his mechanics or else you're screwed. You can get knocked off of his arena so easily, and it's just a lot of fun to make sure you're not getting knocked off while at the same time keeping the whole group alive.

Anyway, yeah, FF14 is severely underrated here when it comes to its great freaking soundtrack. Every single primal in the game has its own song, as does every last boss of each dungeon. There are just too many good ones to list.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're involving boss battle themes, then this one from ffxv is fucking great.

Loading Video...

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I listened to all of them and surprisingly 8 is the one i love the most. Interesting to hear the callback to the theme of 4,5,6 in 9. I never really paid attention to the subtle changes in battle theme between 4,5,6 and 9. . IV is 2nd choice.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I really wanted to vote for X, because a lot of my friends seem against it for some reason and I love it. But I think XIII has to take it. There aren't many bad ones though; I love listening to them all in compilations and noticing how they evolve over time between certain games.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@y2ken: totally. Normally when i play those older games i feel like i'm listening to the same song , but hearing the variations on the same themes is really interesting.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Dixavd

Limiting to the default battle themes (and not special ones like bosses) then... Nostalgia-wise, X, but I'll ignore that because I think VIII probably does that style better. Nevertheless, XIII eclipses both since 'Blinded by the Light' is a song that's so good in it's own right, I often play it generally and even my Mum enjoys hearing it when I'm back home (double points for giving me something to listen to with my Mum).

-Edit- All these comments make me want to go back and finally finish FFVIII so I can listen to the music without feeling guilty about it.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to include boss themes from 14 my favorite goes to Sophia's Theme. Titan brings me nightmares of struggling to get my relic in the early days of 2.0 when server lag was real and plumes were nearly unavoidable.

Loading Video...

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a deep love of ska. So the horns in the FFX main battle theme will always be number one to me. Sadly the HD remaster version butchered it. Also Seymour's Battle theme is the best final boss theme in the long line of FF final boss themes despite not actually being one of them but it totally is listen to it.

Loading Video...

If you reject that the first actual final boss them from FFIII is then the best one. Both of them lack the long tedious build up of the others and just get to the point.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.