A few quick gripes regarding ACNH

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

So I just want to start off by saying I've been loving ACNH, but I can't help but point out a few annoying features along with some features that are completely gone. I realize there will be updates to come, but I still find it a bit frustrating to be missing features that we've come to expect. I should also mention that I'm still only on day 4, so things may change.

Crafting

Why can't I craft multiples of the same item if I have the materials available? I think a perfect example of this is Fishing Bait. Why do I have to craft each individual thing of bait? Why can't I craft a regular tools if I have all of the materials to make one? I have to first craft a flimsy tool, then craft a regular fishing tool. I also feel like you should be able to receive crafting supplies from neighbors, or they should be available for sale at Timmy & Tommy's?

Missing Characters

Why aren't all of the characters with physical amiibo figures included as models in the game? Nintendo went to the effort of releasing a Resetti amiibo but can't include his 3D model in the game? It seems like amiibo support is all over the place.

Island Vouchers

I've now visited roughly a dozen islands and have yet to find a reason to keep going? There aren't any unique bugs, fish or flowers. The only thing I've gained from these visits is Bamboo (x2 of the islands). Every single island has had the same fruit as my native island (in my case oranges). In ACNL the island was significantly more useful.

Fruit

Why are there only six fruit? Apples, Cherries, Pears, Oranges, Peaches and Coconuts. What happened to Lemons, Durian, Lychees, Bananas, Persimmons, and Mangos?

Diving Suit

I'm guessing the diving suit is just gone? I didn't really care for it in ACNL, but I still found it a nice change of pace.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah the crafting could definitely have a bit more thought in the QOL aspect of it but I haven't found it particularly grating yet.

Having also played for 4 days, I'm clearly not grinding this game as much as you are seeing as how I've only been to 2 islands. They both had the same fruit as my island unfortunately, but I also got coconuts from them. In addition there was a villager on that island I could bring back, so that seems like a fairly key use.

Has there been confirmation that there's only 6 fruit? I haven't read anything on the internet about this game so if you have a source then sure, but iirc those other fruit came pretty late in the game in New Leaf so my initial thought is that it wouldn't be something I'd see in my first 4 days anyway. There's a NookMiles task that suggests there's only 6 fruit I guess but with how granularly some of the other tasks have been separated I wouldn't be surprised if there was a separate task for different fruit.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: The points you make are totally valid. I've always been a min-max type of person when it comes to AC, I play it more like a strategy game than a social simulator. The nook miles system is interesting, because I had no idea you could dig up clams until I noticed the task in Nook Miles. It's weird they hide certain gameplay explanations behind that system.

As far as I can tell the only fruit in the game are the starting 5 plus coconuts, but this could hopefully change with the promised future updates.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

The islands can still be really useful. It's just randomized. People have gotten a money Rock island, tarantula island (at night), emperor butterfly island, rare flower island, etc. Tarantula island in particular can net you ~180k for very little effort. I don't know the fish rates here, but I've already caught an oarfish on an island and people have been getting multiple oarfish and coelacanths through this.

Islands are also the best way to get ore when you've dried up your supply back home. Considering the game asks you almost immediately to craft a store that takes 30 ore plus most upgraded tools requiring ore makes ore a big need if you are trying to be efficient.

You can find non native fruits on the islands as well. I started with apples and got 1 island with oranges so far. This is incredibly useful because you can dig up the entire tree itself and replant it back home. Same goes for coconuts. Compared to old animal crossing where you'd be waiting days for your fruit farm to be grown.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah, I'd love to be able to just have my crafting materials in my storage and be able to craft without taking them out every time. Only crafting one thing at a time is a bummer too. I'm sick of cherries! I guess they want you to visit real people's islands.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So I've only played a little bit of the first Animal Crossing before this one. I'm also absolutely loving the game too, but I honestly didn't know there were so many other fruits in the game. What the heck I'd love to grow some Mangoes and Persimmons. There is another edible plant I found though and its Bamboo Shoot. So its 7 known edible produce, maybe 8?

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Speaking of gripes, I think I found a bug. I put some giant clams in my storage because I need 5 to craft a fancy fountain and I noticed they're not in there. I think they just disappeared?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the game but I also have a ton of gripes about it. Not being able to put turnips or recipes into storage is just stupid. I know that the turnips issue has been around for awhile and is presumably meant to give the stalk market an additional cost, but in this game where you can just leave stuff outdoors it just means that you have an uglier island (or home) and it's dumb. Storing recipes isn't necessary for a single player, but it's useful if you have friends who might want them but don't immediately know if they have those particular recipes already.

I think making the tools break was a huge mistake. I don't really mind the crafting in general (except that they need to batch in mass crafting) but the breaking tools just suck. They just suck. There's nothing fun or interesting about it, it's just a pain in the ass. Crafting in general gives more reason to gather materials each day so it fits into the series well. Breakable tools are bad.

I really miss Kapp'n and the island from New Leaf. His song was a highlight of New Leaf and the island in New Leaf was more interesting and fun than the islands in New Horizons. It's not just that I get the same fruit, it's that on the whole the islands tend to be more of the same. Same bugs, same fish, same everything. Having one unique island was better.

Bunny Day is bad and very boring. Fishing is like my favorite thing to do in AC, but catching all these useless eggs has pretty much stopped me from fishing. The bunny day items suck and even though you don't have to pop the balloons it's annoying to see a balloon, get excited, and find out it's just another stupid sky egg. It's bad enough when they drop like 5 clay or 1000 bells instead of some new item, but I have so many damn sky eggs.

I've put a bunch of time into the game so I clearly like it, but I'm also burning out, and all these issues are the reason why. There's a ton of great stuff in New Horizons but some of these decisions are just baffling. Especially the breakable tools.

Damaged6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone else afraid of a DLC that will add missing content to the game?

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the fishing tourney today, they really need to make mass-crafting a thing. Especially for things like Medicine and Fish Bait. I still don't understand why clams don't stack, but Wasp nests do? As others have mentioned, Bunny Day is straight up bad, but judging how quickly Nintendo patched it, I think they'll approach better next time.

Regarding tools, it would make sense if the Golden tools were unbreakable, but apparently they're not. Why would I waste a gold nugget on a tool that will eventually break?

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had so many big gripes with a game I like so much. The biggest complaint I have though is the way the game handles the Resident Representative role. I had no idea this was even a thing and let my girlfriend play first, and we did not figure out that this would have any impact before we felt we were too far into the game to restart. There's enough gripes in this game that I actually feel a need to complain, have an outlet of sorts for all my frustration. I am enjoying the game as I said, buy man... some decisions really boggles my mind.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My issue with the game is bad RNG that affects all aspects of the game.

My bad RNG for DIY extends past the sakura season, with balloons, washed up bottles, and villagers giving me numerous duplicates of things I already know. Ideally, we shouldn't be seeing any duplicates unless we've exhausted what is available in the game until the next update. I don't care about trading duplicates.

With the exception of specific events, it seems like visitors to the island are driven by the same RNG problem. I've been playing since March 19, and I've only had Celeste show up once, for a meteor shower. I hope they revise this and add some weighting factor to increase the chance to get a largely absent character to visit more often.