I made a GB based web app for my grad school project !

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By duderbattalion

So I am taking a course in Web Information Systems which basically deals with new web technologies that help build up web services on the internet (much like Giantbomb). As our design project, we were supposed to build a web application that gets data from two different sources based on a user query and mashes it up together and displays all the information in one place.

The first thing that came to my mind when I started brainstorming about this project was the vague memory of Dave talking about Giantbomb having an API of some sort (I think it was last year or so when that happened). Anyway, a little bit of digging and sure there was this awesome API open to everyone to utilize the entire wealth of information present on this site.

I ended up mashing data from Giantbomb and Amazon.com. As a user, you could enter a search query, say "Batman", and the web app would go through the Giantbomb database and spit out ALL the batman games that have ever been published. The app was customized to grab information like which platforms it was developed on, the list of developers and publishers and the characters in the game. The Amazon API allowed me to show the top 3 search results for each game and their individual prices.

I don't have a hosting server right now for you guys to try it out, but I made a short demo video on Youtube if any of you want to check it out. I'd recommend watching the video fullscreen at 480p to be able to see all the text clearly:

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to thank the Top Men at Giantbomb for being cool enough to write up an API and give everyone access to their database without even charging us anything for this. It's amazing how much information is there on the Giantbomb database, I mean, there is nothing that even comes close on the internet to how much useful data Giantbomb has aggregated over the past few years ! So seriously, Snide and your team of engineers, I say .. great job good sirs. Had a lot of fun working on this project, and hopefully there are a few more good ones coming soon in the pipeline.

As a side note, here's a list of the tech used:
- Django framework for the web app. All code written in Python.
- Backend database was eXist, an XML database
- XML data parsed using lxml python lib
duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By duderbattalion

So I am taking a course in Web Information Systems which basically deals with new web technologies that help build up web services on the internet (much like Giantbomb). As our design project, we were supposed to build a web application that gets data from two different sources based on a user query and mashes it up together and displays all the information in one place.

The first thing that came to my mind when I started brainstorming about this project was the vague memory of Dave talking about Giantbomb having an API of some sort (I think it was last year or so when that happened). Anyway, a little bit of digging and sure there was this awesome API open to everyone to utilize the entire wealth of information present on this site.

I ended up mashing data from Giantbomb and Amazon.com. As a user, you could enter a search query, say "Batman", and the web app would go through the Giantbomb database and spit out ALL the batman games that have ever been published. The app was customized to grab information like which platforms it was developed on, the list of developers and publishers and the characters in the game. The Amazon API allowed me to show the top 3 search results for each game and their individual prices.

I don't have a hosting server right now for you guys to try it out, but I made a short demo video on Youtube if any of you want to check it out. I'd recommend watching the video fullscreen at 480p to be able to see all the text clearly:

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to thank the Top Men at Giantbomb for being cool enough to write up an API and give everyone access to their database without even charging us anything for this. It's amazing how much information is there on the Giantbomb database, I mean, there is nothing that even comes close on the internet to how much useful data Giantbomb has aggregated over the past few years ! So seriously, Snide and your team of engineers, I say .. great job good sirs. Had a lot of fun working on this project, and hopefully there are a few more good ones coming soon in the pipeline.

As a side note, here's a list of the tech used:
- Django framework for the web app. All code written in Python.
- Backend database was eXist, an XML database
- XML data parsed using lxml python lib
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

Very cool stuff sir.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By duderbattalion
@imsh_pl: Thank you. I really enjoyed working on this as well .. so I guess it was doubly good :)
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

That's pretty cool. Great job.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By duderbattalion
@Claude: Thanks Claude ! Appreciate it :)
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Daniel
@Venom2112: Very interesting use of our API, dude! Good work.
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Awesome, if I had to be nitpicker I'd say the page could be more attractive, but hey, hella awesome
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@daniel said:
" @Venom2112: Very interesting use of our API, dude! Good work. "
Is this when we never hear back from the guy? And hear about a house being burnt down? 
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By csl316

sweet.

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By JJGIANT

Great job man, love it!
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By snide
@Venom2112: Hehe. Saw you used Django! Nice work.
Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Julmust

That's really awesome!

Good luck with your further studies!

Kinda off-topic: I wish Giant Bomb had something like the Screened Amazon.com-thing.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By duderbattalion
@daniel: Thanks man. The API is amazing .. and I seriously appreciate you guys taking up the time to engage this community in so many different ways.

@snide: And guess what, the reason I came to know about Django was from a twitter feed from you sometime last year I believe. So I guess my spending obscene amount of time on this site during classes stands vindicated :P Plus, Python is awesome. I started as a C++ programmer so you can imagine how I feel when I write Python code ;)

@xaLieNxGrEyx: Yeah, the front end is very basic .. but we weren't being graded on the UI and I only spent around 2-3 days to code this up. Plus, my art sucks donkey  balls anyways .. haha
duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By duderbattalion
@csl316 said:
" sweet. "
@JJGIANT said:
"
Great job man, love it!
"
@Jolt92 said:
" That's really awesome!

Good luck with your further studies!

Kinda off-topic: I wish Giant Bomb had something like the Screened Amazon.com-thing.

"
Thanks for the love guys. Really encouraging :D