Bombcast 644, now in 8-track format

kirkdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By kirkdouglas

My summer car is a 1978 Thunderbird Diamond Jubilee. The car has a Quadrophonic 8 stereo in it, but it will play normal 8-tracks just fine as well. The speakers sound like a Zellers intercom system though. In an effort to drive the car more so that the seals don't dry out and leak on my driveway, I started recording the Bombcast to blank 8-track tapes.

For recording the Bombcast to tape, I hook an 1/8″ jack to RCA cable to the back of my line-out port on my PC, and connect it to line-in on my Sears 8-track player, it’s nothing special but it works well enough. I play the Bombcast out in Winamp using the Enhancer 0.17 dsp for volume leveling. The majority of the Bombcast fits on two 60 or 64 minute 300′ tapes.

Here’s the video:

The thing plugged into the cigarette lighter is a Zune branded USB adapter which I use to power my GPS speedometer because the original one thinks we’re always going somewhere between 20 and 40 km/h.

Anyway, I do this pretty much every week, but this was the only week I took video of it working. Maybe it's neat or at least quirky to you!

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is so good. Bravo, duder! Also, that car is delightfully carpeted. I love it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I have two things to say

1) This is pretty cool!

2) I don't mean for 2 to diminish 1, but couldn't you have just used one of those cassette tapes that has an audio jack coming out of it?

EDIT: You know what, I'm just going to leave my monumental millennial mistake right there, for everyone to see, that I realized as soon as I clicked on post.

kirkdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@justin258: ok you’re not wrong, you could do that because what those adapters do is make direct contact with the tape head in the deck. So I could probably modify a tape to make contact with the 8-track heads. There’s an episode of Pimp My Ride where they stuffed an iPod classic inside an 8-track and did just that.

@ralphmoustaccio: it’s the deepest pile carpet I’ve ever felt! The trunk (even the lid!) is also carpeted the same way.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@kirkdouglas: Hey, you gotta make sure the people in the trunk--whether they're there by choice or not-- are comfortable, too!