I don't understand the praise over ps3 media streaming

indigo0086

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By indigo0086

I've only recently purchased a ps3 a few months ago but have been using the 360 as a media streaming device since they released those plugins to stream divx and xvid formats.  On two occaisons when listening to the podcast the Gang-of-Four have nothing but praise about the ps3 media streaming and nothing basically the opposite for the 360.  Granted I've been using the 360 player for a long time, but I did use the ps3 media streaming for a week or so exclusively and I just can't see how anyone can prefer it over the 360.  

In terms of quality of the video, I really can't guage the difference, in both quality is paired to the quality of the incoming video.  And I have my device wired so the performance is almost the same.

In terms of interface, I can't imagine how anyone can find the unnecessary digging through the cross media bar preferrable to the simple and 1:1 directory structure of the media library on the pc and the 360.  Basically on the pc I add folder A and folder B to my library.  On the 360 I go to my video, click on my computer, and folder A and B are right there.  On ps3, I go to the media hub under video, select Video (unnecessary step), scroll down to folders, then hope that my folders show up (even after adding streaming permissions I've not had the best luck streaming to the ps3)

In terms of features, the 360 being able to section the video so you can skip in increments, more accurate rewind/fast-forward features, and the fact that the 360 alone remembers the position of all my streaming videos seems like a no-branier.  I could see how it's a non-issue if you always watch a show/movie you have streaming in one sitting, but often that doesn't happen, and the fact that the ps3 lacks it makes it a pain on the few occasions where one might have to go back and fast forward (with the horribly skewed ff/rw speeds)

Also on the most recent podcast I heard Brad mention that the ps3 had a better remote as well.  Now I got the remote because I didn't want to navigate blu-rays via the controller, but I personally find the button layout incredibly convoluted for even the simplest operations.  

Now for a few things I like about the ps3 media player.  One is being able to adjust the sound level on the player.  This is great because the 360 streaming tends to play things on the loud side, maybe it's my tv, but even on a low level it's a little louder than it should at that level.  Also the in-movie video adjustment options are a minor plus.  Other than that it's really a tacky feature that I just dont' understand the four giving it such rave reviews.

If any of these features I've mentioned are on the ps3 and I just haven't discovered them then tell me.  If anyone can back them up then tell me because I'd like to know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was kinda weird they were comparing the two. 360 is set up for streaming, but I didn't even know about PS3 Media Server until they mentioned it. And then I found out it's just a third party streaming program? I think that's kinda weird to compare 360 vs. PS3 media features when you include some 3rd party download on your PC as part of the PS3 package. Like I said, I didnt' even know about it.

Can't really say on the remote, because I don't have a PS3 remote, need to get one though. I don't have any problems with the 360 one though.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

Ok, first:

They have talked mad shit about how they liked streaming from your PC to your console in favor of the 360. 

BUT, lately, with the whole PS3 streaming thing from NETFLIX, they were then in favor of the ps3 over the 360. 

totally different folks.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Reuben

I find it easier to find videos on the 360 because of the way the guide is but at the end of it all. They are both pretty much the same. I don't see or hear any huge difference between the two when it comes to streaming.

hgill88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hgill88

they are talking about streaming to the ps3 using a program called PS3 Media Server, its a free download, and they are absolutely correct in saying that it's better than streaming to your 360, it can pretty much stream any kind of music or video file from your pc to your ps3, and transcode on the fly if need be, you can set up folder's , thumbnails for your files, create a media library, and other stuff to sort and view your files how you want on your ps3, it has the ability to stream dts or dolby digital audio to your ps3 along with the video strream (i dont think the 360 is capable of this), choose to stream subtitles, and a bunch of other features. the program actually works with the 360 also, but with less features ( since not all features are supported by the 360)  It is constantly being updated with new features and tweaks (recently itunes library support and imdb ratings support) i used to stream with my 360 too, but since i started using this i see absolutely no reason to ever use my 360 for that again, those of who are saying there is no difference or that the 360 is better for media streaming you obviously have never used PS3 media server, link is below, yes you have to install it to your pc (boohoo) not like the 360 didn't need to be set up with windows media center or player or wtv

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217 (this is the latest beta build, which i recomend since the stable build is much older, and the beta build has many improvements implemented)

ps the ps3 bluray remote is great, I'm not sure what the person above was talking about ( button layout is fine), i think it is awesome for movies and media streaming

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive
@hgill88: yup! so that about does it. /thread