chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By chewii101
*cue Midnight Brown*....and here's your host-master.......RICHHHH GALLUPPPP

Had some spare time and decided to dig up some of the more memorable Hotspot podcasts and remembered how great these were. A round table of Rich, Jeff, Alex, and (insert name) would be an instant way to cheer and crack up. From their crazy antics and hilarious phone calls, the Hotspot was the first ever video game podcast I subscribed to and waited every week for, just to listen to those crazy bastards. I still laugh when I hear the dicussion about the origin of Rich's eyebrow (I bet on the ghost punching him).

Grant you, the Giant Bombcast is great, but the original Hotspot hosted by Rich (yeah, I know Bob C. was the first host) is what I consider the greatest and grandaddy of all video game podcasts. Then came the departure of Rich and the debacle of Jeff's situation leaving the podcast and entire website in shambles. I couldn't listen to another podcast without Rich and Jeff, and stopped subscribing/listen to it. I hope one day they bring back the old crew for one big podcast with everyone, Giantbomb crew and the old Hotspot crew. 

Anyone else with me on this? I just miss the good old hotspot. Comment/Reminisce Away!

...For all your stories from the wonderful world of video games check out GIIIIIIIIIAANTBOMB DOT COM!!!

*Edit* Add your favourite Hotspot quote/moment in your comments!
chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By chewii101
*cue Midnight Brown*....and here's your host-master.......RICHHHH GALLUPPPP

Had some spare time and decided to dig up some of the more memorable Hotspot podcasts and remembered how great these were. A round table of Rich, Jeff, Alex, and (insert name) would be an instant way to cheer and crack up. From their crazy antics and hilarious phone calls, the Hotspot was the first ever video game podcast I subscribed to and waited every week for, just to listen to those crazy bastards. I still laugh when I hear the dicussion about the origin of Rich's eyebrow (I bet on the ghost punching him).

Grant you, the Giant Bombcast is great, but the original Hotspot hosted by Rich (yeah, I know Bob C. was the first host) is what I consider the greatest and grandaddy of all video game podcasts. Then came the departure of Rich and the debacle of Jeff's situation leaving the podcast and entire website in shambles. I couldn't listen to another podcast without Rich and Jeff, and stopped subscribing/listen to it. I hope one day they bring back the old crew for one big podcast with everyone, Giantbomb crew and the old Hotspot crew. 

Anyone else with me on this? I just miss the good old hotspot. Comment/Reminisce Away!

...For all your stories from the wonderful world of video games check out GIIIIIIIIIAANTBOMB DOT COM!!!

*Edit* Add your favourite Hotspot quote/moment in your comments!
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Well, they kinda brought everyone back during one of last year's E3 podcasts.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tooPrime
The hotspot was originally hosted by Bob C.  Rich did a good job, but I wasn't in love with him like a lot of people.   The hotspot was great but I think the current podcast is probably better.  The hotspot was shorter and I remember they used to talk about political new stories and Jack Thompson too much, but there were some great moments for sure.
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I still listen to the current HotSpot. I don't know, it's alright for me.

Though I will say this, I do have some problems with the BombCast.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By meptron

The old hotspot was great. But its day has passed. Out with the old, in with the new.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By dj

I agree with you. The HotSpot has a special place in my heart. It's always good to look back on good times. 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Systech

We all do, but you know what, it's not good to reminisce in things like this for so long. It's been about two years since the show was last in its former glory and I think we should be over this now. It just breaks hearts at this point.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jNerd
@Kou_Leifoh said:
" I still listen to the current HotSpot. I don't know, it's alright for me.Though I will say this, I do have some problems with the BombCast. "
What problems could you possibly have with the Bombcast?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I was reading about The State of Videogame Podcasting on bitmob. I never liked podcasts that much. I've tried, but it's not for me. I like reading about them though. I listen to them sometimes, but it's a mood thing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The Hotspot was certainly great back then, and has some of the best running jokes ever. (Gay Sexual Content. Fly that Flag! They should do it, people would buy it. Haze is the (Filler)!)

However, It went downhill fast after Jeff was fired (although there is a great part in one post-Gerstmangate episode where Ryan talks about the then-new Rambo movie), especially since everyone else worth having on the podcast left soon afterward, leaving people like Ricardo Torres and Ryan McDonald to talk about Video Games with an almost robotic amount of enthusiasm. I personally stopped listening after Vinny left, which is a lot later than some others did.

The GB cast is the "spiritual successor" of the old Hotspot to me. It has almost all the stuff that was awesome (Talking about Video Games, Talking about random crap, general insanity) with less of the not so awesome stuff (Talking about numbers, Talking about crazy people who hate games, a set time limit). Things it lacks? Rich Gallup of course.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RipTheVeins

"Gaming for me is a religion, and Haze is the **coin noise**!"

EDIT: yeah, I know Rich wasn't in that one but still one of my favorite discussions, I mean where else can you hit up that kind of rush.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By buzz_clik

See, I only started listening to the Hotspot during Vinny's time at the helm. I loved that era to bits, though, and still listen to an old episode every now and then.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

The only things really missing from The Bombcast that The Hot Spot had are Rich and Alex. Other than that, it's near enough the same and, from my point of view, a lot more entertaining these days now they're not censored by CNET or whoever.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
@dcpc10 said:
" @jNerd said:
" @Kou_Leifoh said:
" I still listen to the current HotSpot. I don't know, it's alright for me.Though I will say this, I do have some problems with the BombCast. "
What problems could you possibly have with the Bombcast? "
Exactly what I'm wondering "
Let me guess, you guys think the BombCast is perfect?

Well, I don't think so. I think the BombCast is too long and it's also pure randomness at times. I do remember a video game podcast was all about video game news and answering people's E-Mails towards the end. Now don't get me wrong, I still like the BombCast overall, despite its problems. But I'm not gonna go and say "The BombCast is this ultra perfect show, and anybody who doesn't think it's perfect is a asshole."
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Stang
@Kou_Leifoh:

You always portray your opinion as fact, which is bullshit. What you see as a problem, others see as perfectly fine. Have you not learned that yet?
tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tomance

I like the idea of tangents and stuff in podcasts.  When they try and stick to some format strictly it tends to get stale.  For instance Game Scoop, i find some of the best episodes the ones were they don't stick to video games, they tell stories and stuff like that in between the gaming talk.  Right now Bombcast is my favorite gaming podcast, it used to be 1up Yours and Listen Up will never be as good as 1up Yours.  Bombcast is the only podcast I will listen to every week, I pick and choose the others.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I enjoy the Bombcast as it is. I'm glad they don't just recite video game news, because when I want news I'll go and read it myself as I often do. I love the spontaneity, which never ceases to get a laugh (or two, or many) out of me.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By apathylad

I miss Greg Kasavin. He wasn't on the podcast as much as the other guys, but he was a great contributor to the website.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chewii101
@RipTheVeins: Possibly the greatest running gag of the Hotspot. Great comment!
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
@Stang said:
" @Kou_Leifoh: You always portray your opinion as fact, which is bullshit. What you see as a problem, others see as perfectly fine. Have you not learned that yet? "
Portray opinions as facts? Apparently you didn't see the "I don't think so" in my post. 
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By animateria

Yep, Hotspot with Rich was... rich.

Also, GFW Radio. It wasn't the same when Jeff Green left for his job at EA.

Loved how he'd act like he was kissing EA ass at the end of his GFW run... That was pretty hilarious.

GFW Radio is pretty much dead so I guess its less of a problem than todays Hotspot. Honestly, besides the still excellent Retronauts, I don't listen to the 1UP stuff anymore.

You know what GFW shared with todays Bombcast?

Off-topic rants!

Sure videogame news is interesting and all but I can read all of that stuff, most of the pure gold moments are when the members talk about other stuff.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By musdy

I think The Hotspot was pretty much perfect.  It was the first podcast I ever listened to.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThomasP
@Apathylad said:
" I miss Greg Kasavin. He wasn't on the podcast as much as the other guys, but he was a great contributor to the website. "
...and Rich. "Shoot out!"
McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McQuinn

HECK YEAH!!! The best days was when Rich was gone and Jeff would just mess everything up.  But in all honesty Rich kept everything super well together.

"You know what I mean. When you gotta fly dat flag, you gotta fly dat flag."  My favorite quote about a genre I will never play.  College football.

EDIT: Fly that Flag is second only to Derek Man Cannon. 
GamingReligion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GamingReligion

Gaming is indeed a religion, and Haze is the *coin noise*!

ljgpliskin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By ljgpliskin92

YO RICH DROP A BOMB ON IT SON, I died of laughter when I heard that hotspot.

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bald3rdash
@Kou_Leifoh: Man, I'm not one of the guys who thinks the BombCast if perfect, but I do dig it thoroughly.  I honestly don't really listen to it a lot for video game news, it's just an entertaining weekly show that makes me laugh.  

With that said, if you have those problems with it (they seem somewhat significant considering you sound like you're looking for a more serious show) just don't listen =D
Avatar image for sledgehammering
Sledgehammering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sledgehammering

It's a little off subject, but I miss Jeff's "Points!" report.  He wasn't affected by outside influences.  He just sat there in his room and flowed about whatever.  I did like Rich at Gamespot.  If he joined Giant Bomb, he'd just take everything over.  It would be the Rich Show every week.  Giant Bomb seems balanced at this point.    
topraman517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By topraman517

I LOVED the HotSpot.  I listened to it purely for the commentary and comedy.  I'll miss that classic lineup of Rich, Jeff, Alex, Ryan, Brad, Carrie, Greg, and two other people I can't remember the names of who left fairly early on.  Of course, the Podcasts were very long and didn't fit in with my schedule, so I didn't catch all of the episodes.  Heck, I stopped listening before Rich even left.  I think I need to go do some listening now...

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By dethfish

I just listened to the 2/12/2008 hotspot yesterday. It should be called The Giant Bomb: Origins podcast. 

Tor Thorsen is on that podcast. I know a lot of people don't like him but I do, he's awesome. I wish he was at GB too. They need one dedicated news guy don't they?
MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrRedwine

Oh man, that whole site used to be amazing.  HotSpot, On the Spot, Button Mashing, Gamespotting, Let's Gamespot....  And the awesome cast and crew (some of which are still there) were like a family to me when I was in college, even thought they didn't know it.

I had two questions answered on the hotspot, and I won a copy of Burnout 3: Takedown for the PS2 from On the Spot.

I love this site because I love the guys who are here, but nothing really could ever replace what that site used to be.

::pours one out for his dead homies::

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By RTSlord

I still listen to the "new" hotspot, but the versions with rich were the best. They were always a way for me to laugh and smile, i think rich needs to do a couple bombcasts (and yes i know it would cost a lot to get him out here)
edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By edtwo

the funniest thing for me was jeff making fun of korn's singer. "gaming is like a religion to me and haze is tha shit." lol best thing ever

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By trophyhunter

I don't get how any one liked rich he's a douche
also almost every week Tor was the biggest asshole

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Origina1Penguin
@EdTwo said:
" the funniest thing for me was jeff making fun of korn's singer. "gaming is like a religion to me and haze is tha shit." lol best thing ever "
Jeff can still "hit up that kind of rush."

I listen to the Giant Bombcast, ListenUP, and the Hotspot regularly.  If I couldn't listen to them at work, then the Hotspot would be the first to go because it is not as philosophical or in depth in discussion as ListenUP and it is definitely no where near as humorous as the Giant Bombcast.  I don't have anything against anyone on the current Hotspot lineup, but the jokes are stilted and the atmosphere of the whole podcast is generally stale.  I still enjoy listening to it since I'm such a video game geek.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jensonb
@trophyhunter said:
" I don't get how any one liked rich he's a douche also almost every week Tor was the biggest asshole "
For both of those comments, you, sir, can go to hell.

The old HotSpot was the first Podcast I ever listened to, and for a while it was the only one I listened to regularly. Up until last yea, it was as close to the perfect Podcast as I had ever come across. The Bombcast (In format and style) ever so slightly shades it though, mostly because of its more free-form lasseiz-faire attitude and its willingness to have what are essentially entirely tangential topics as entire segments (Drink tasting for example). In terms of quality, I rate The Bombcast as a mach for The HotSpot, but not better - and ts entirely down to Richard E. Gallup III Jr. (Note: Some of that name may be made up of affectations). Rich is a master, and I was a huge fan of his work.

Each week, I still miss seeing and hearing him host content, because he is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best host I have ever seen or heard anywhere of anything.
RashDendar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RashDendar

Which one was the eyebrow origins episode?

chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By chogi

my favorites probably were

gaming is a religion and Haze is the...

I met my girl at a les wampas concert...

and the episode where with celebrity impersonations for top 10 lists

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trophyhunter
@Jensonb said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" I don't get how any one liked rich he's a douche also almost every week Tor was the biggest asshole "
For both of those comments, you, sir, can go to hell.  The old HotSpot was the first Podcast I ever listened to, and for a while it was the only one I listened to regularly. Up until last yea, it was as close to the perfect Podcast as I had ever come across. The Bombcast (In format and style) ever so slightly shades it though, mostly because of its more free-form lasseiz-faire attitude and its willingness to have what are essentially entirely tangential topics as entire segments (Drink tasting for example). In terms of quality, I rate The Bombcast as a mach for The HotSpot, but not better - and ts entirely down to Richard E. Gallup III Jr. (Note: Some of that name may be made up of affectations). Rich is a master, and I was a huge fan of his work.  Each week, I still miss seeing and hearing him host content, because he is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best host I have ever seen or heard anywhere of anything. "
yeah but every week rich was like "I don't swear" "I don't drink" "I stand up because I'm better than you" 
plus come on its video games if you had a super serious podcast about them it would be the worst thing ever
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jensonb
@trophyhunter said:
" @Jensonb said:
" @trophyhunter said:
For both of those comments, you, sir, can go to hell.  The old HotSpot was the first Podcast I ever listened to, and for a while it was the only one I listened to regularly. Up until last yea, it was as close to the perfect Podcast as I had ever come across. The Bombcast (In format and style) ever so slightly shades it though, mostly because of its more free-form lasseiz-faire attitude and its willingness to have what are essentially entirely tangential topics as entire segments (Drink tasting for example). In terms of quality, I rate The Bombcast as a mach for The HotSpot, but not better - and ts entirely down to Richard E. Gallup III Jr. (Note: Some of that name may be made up of affectations). Rich is a master, and I was a huge fan of his work.  Each week, I still miss seeing and hearing him host content, because he is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best host I have ever seen or heard anywhere of anything. "
yeah but every week rich was like "I don't swear" "I don't drink" "I stand up because I'm better than you"  plus come on its video games if you had a super serious podcast about them it would be the worst thing ever "
Rich said all that stuff about the standing up as a joke. The other stuff was Gamespot's half-assed attempt to be kid-friendly.

Also, I don't recall advocating serious video game podcasts, I'm pretty sure my post actually advocated the opposite - hence why I praised the Bombcast bonkers style.
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#41  Edited By Soap

The hotspot was pretty good, although in comparison the bombcast just blows it out of the water in my opinion. It's less like a proper professional piece of work and more like 4 friends just chatting, I really think the informal manner of it makes it so epic.

zeox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zeox

I would really love to see the return of Bob C at some point on the bombcast. that would be epic

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lemon360

Let it go
tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tactis
@buzz_clik said:
" See, I only started listening to the Hotspot during Vinny's time at the helm. I loved that era to bits, though, and still listen to an old episode every now and then. "
yeah same here, started listening when Vinny ran the Hotspot, I think the bombcast is a lot funnier personally....
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Otacon

It was great, but I think I may even like the bombcast more now.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By buzz_clik
@tactis said:
" I think the bombcast is a lot funnier personally.... "
Oh, for sure. It certainly gets rowdier and goofier than those days (Korn conversation notwithstanding), plus The Hotspot is a much leaner and organised show. On the other hand, The Bombcast can devolve into a protracted mess of pop culture references, beverage tests and profanity-laced shouting. And I wouldn't have it any other way!
yarles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By yarles
@Sledgehammering said:
" It's a little off subject, but I miss Jeff's "Points!" report.  He wasn't affected by outside influences.  He just sat there in his room and flowed about whatever.  I did like Rich at Gamespot.  If he joined Giant Bomb, he'd just take everything over.  It would be the Rich Show every week.  Giant Bomb seems balanced at this point.     "
Dude the "Points!" report .... I totally forgot about it!
Jeff should definitely get back into it ... with all the achievements stats archived on the site ... would be awesome!
chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chogi

I still listen to the hotspot with Brendan Sinclair. Kinda hit and miss but when ECKBERG IS ON? DUUUUUUUUDE!

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Drebin_893

The current Hotspot remains awesome. I prefer it to the BombCast, though I love both.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By Blubba

Yeah, I'm not a fan of new GameSpot. I love me some Ekberg, Thorsen, and Sinclair though. I didn't mind Aaron Thomas as much as others. Apparently, he doesn't work for GS anymore. What happened to him?

After Gerstmann-gate, I stopped paying attention to GameSpot for a while. Then I tried watching Lark Anderson's video review for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, got a minute into it, and realized that the guy is an awful camera personality. I know that lots of this is just ignorant biased judgment, but Gerstmann-gate left a bad impression on that site to me forever.

"FLY THAT FLAG!"

And dude, cake is so much better than pie.