Anyone Play the mac Version yet?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BradBrains

and if so how has it been and what are you using?

interesting in buying it but ive heard from someone that the mac version isnt a great port. some weird fog issues along with some resolution gripes.

just trying to see if thats a one off issue or an actual problem

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I sometimes use my Macbook Pro Retina with Iris Pro Graphics as a Steam In-Home Streaming client. The game streams fine from my Windows host, but I couldn't get camera rotation working on the Mac client when streaming. I installed it to the Mac and played the OS X version and still couldn't get camera rotation working, even when I tried rebinding the rotation key to another button or key. I filed a bug report for the mouse problem and still haven't found a solution. On top of the mouse issues, I was only getting 15-20 FPS with all settings on low or off at 1280x800.

I'm sure it would run much better if your Mac has a discrete GPU, but I wouldn't even bother if you are using integrated graphics like most Macs out there. Unless you consider 15-20 FPS playable, that is.

EDIT: Just fixed the middle mouse button issue - it was a conflict with the Steam Overlay. Streaming and the native OS X client now both work. Performance on OS X with integrated graphics is still shit, though.

HelicopterSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a mid 2011 iMac and it's mostly fine. It chugs for a bit on startup but once it settles in, it runs fairly well. I run it at 1920x1080 and medium settings. I will say that I've not played a ton of the game an as such haven't seen how the performance holds up with larger, sprawling cities. For the most part, it's the usual Mac port problems of long load times and just weird quirks.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels pretty rough. I'm running a late 2011 15" MBP that was rebuilt about a month ago, so it runs like new. It's roughly equivalent to the recommended specifications, and it runs totally fine on low settings until your city gets above about 2k people where it slows down really badly. It's definitely a CPU problem, but I've got a 2.4Ghz i7 which should be totally fine so I'm thinking the port isn't so great.

I'm going to try it out on Windows 7 on Bootcamp soon and see if it runs much better.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This a common problem with OS X ports, I remember StarCraft II running much worse over there as well.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By maxszy

Definitely going to depend on what Mac you are running. On my Mac, which is a notebook, a newer (last years model) 2.6 i5 13" Retina with iris Pro graphics (integrated) its running okay. Certainly not unplayable. Absolutely need a mouses connected and turned down the graphics but it works. With the integration steam cloud into the game, continuing my city wherever I may be and happen to want to play a little bit has been great.

All that being said, the majority of my cities time has still been played and (probably therefore) enjoyed on my gaming windows desktop.

Its a fantastic game though. So I would still recommend picking it up and trying it, as long as your willing to turn down the settings a bit and not expecting "perfect" performance from it.