Delete: Skee Ball

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Daemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Daemons
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jeffgoldblum

The first article you listed is for when there is a game where you actually play skee ball. The 2nd article is for the object, for example when you encounter a skee ball machine in a game, but it is not playable.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Not_Rage

Should Skee Ball really be in the GB database? It's not a video game.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#4  Edited By Brackynews
@Not_Rage said:

" Should Skee Ball really be in the GB database? It's not a video game. "

Neither was pinball when it was invented, but it is now.  That shouldn't mean all mechanical games are out of scope. I think "electronic game" is a more appropos criteria. And every game of skee ball I've played in the last decade has an electronic display. But more to the point, Skee Ball has been made into a video game, and to know why the hell someone would do that, knowing the history of it helps! :-)

Welcome to GB @Daemons. You will encounter a lot of "duplicate" entries of the same name, by design.  GB and the Whiskey sites are "associative wikis", where categories and context matter.  Games contain Characters, Concepts, Objects, and Locations.  If Will Wright makes a cameo in a game, he is a Character, but if he is credited as creating a game, he is a Person.

Generally the ones most relevant for delete & combine are two pages within the same category, not the same name, which is the point of the alias system.  
For example, see Simon Viklund and Simon Wiklund.  Wiklund is more accurate Swedish (I assume.. my heritage is Norsk), though he has used Viklund in most English cases. Viklund will probably get deleted, and the alias to Wiklund should discourage the page being recreated.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By KamasamaK

It does seem sketchy. Allowing Skee Ball would open the gates to Whac-A-Mole, Hoop Shoot, and whatever other electronic games you might encounter at an arcade, carnival, etc. It appears to be categorized as an Arcade game, which I doubt was intended to have such a broad definition or else Pinball wouldn't be its own platform. Then again, having pinball tables in the database already opens the possibility to non-video games.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Supermarius
@Kamasama said:
" It does seem sketchy. Allowing Skee Ball would open the gates to Whac-A-Mole, Hoop Shoot, and whatever other electronic games you might encounter at an arcade, carnival, etc. It appears to be categorized as an Arcade game, which I doubt was intended to have such a broad definition or else Pinball wouldn't be its own platform. Then again, having pinball tables in the database already opens the possibility to non-video games. "
Whack a mole should probably have a page. That gameplay has been in many many minigames and is also uses as a derogatory concept term for very simple forms of "shoot anything that moves" gameplay. Of course pages for concepts like "JRPG" and "Cheap" have been removed from the wiki based on the biased perspective that using these terms should not be encouraged, even though they are clearly quite common. I really wish the wiki had an NPOV policy.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KamasamaK
@Supermarius:  Perhaps it could have a page of some kind (like a concept), but I was specifically talking about a Game page for a non-video game.
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supermarius
@Kamasama:  Well it sounds like someone literally made a cellphone game called Skee ball. I guess someone should rewrite the article to make it focus more on the cellphone videogame and then reference the original physical game. However, it doesn't necessarily seem wrong to have some physical arcade games in the wiki. The physical skee ball machine is a classic arcade game in that it is a game that was commonly found in arcades. These sort of novelty machines were made by many videogame publishers, before they made any electronic games, in the 60's or 70's. Sega, Atari, and Midway all made novelty analog arcade games and/or pinball machines. They are historically significant to videogames, i think.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KamasamaK
@Supermarius:  First of all, cell phone games are not allowed with the exception of the iPhone. Second, I don't know where you got the idea that the article is for a cell phone game. It makes no mention of that and has Arcade as a platform. A video game called Skee Ball would obviously be allowed if on a platform in the database.
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Supermarius
@Kamasama:  i never suggested it was about a cellphone game. I was just commenting that if the problem is that the current article makes no significant reference to videogames to justify its inclusion, and there is a Skee-Ball cellphone game, it seems like you could append the information about the videogame based on skee-ball to justify the article. This seems to be an interesting case because skee-ball is a small part of multiple minigame collections. Therefore it is definitely a "thing" that is in videogames.  But if there is no game that is principally about skee ball then it might face difficulty in being deemed worthwhile to include as its own article.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KamasamaK
@Supermarius:  Okay. You may not have intended it, but saying "it sounds like someone literally made a cellphone game called Skee ball" and especially "rewrite the article to make it focus more on the cellphone videogame" was ambiguous enough that it could interpreted that way. Also, incorrectly saying what it was called and not specifying it as an iPhone game didn't help. That Skee-Ball would be eligible for inclusion, but that's not particularly helpful in determining the current article's validity.

The problem isn't that it needs to make reference to video games. The dispute is whether that kind of arcade game is allowed. If it is, then it's fine like that. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how much it references video games. The object page that was also linked in the opening post should be sufficient for stuff about actual Skee ball, or if someone wants to make a concept that might be fine too. Being a part of a game, such as minigame collections, would make it suited for a concept.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

There is a Skee Ball game for the iPhone, so it could be turned into article about that. I've created a guide to hold deleted text and copied the article into there, so regardless of what happens we won't lose anything useful.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By mracoon

The page as it is should not exist as skee ball is not a platform on GB. Unless someone's going to change it to iPhone game that LordAndrew mentioned, it's going to have to be deleted.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Not_Rage

I changed it to Skee-Ball the iPhone game

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KamasamaK
@mracoon:  Since it's being changed for the iPhone game, it should be renamed to Skee-Ball.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon
@Kamasama: Done.