#1  Edited By cjcox
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The Giant Bomb gods have had enough of Final Fantasy. :)

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By KamasamaK

This is not a bug. A moderator changed the title so that it may be deleted once the popularity does down. Compilations of only previously released content are generally not allowed. Granted, there were some changes, but they weren't significant.

EDIT: Hmm, it appears that one of the mods allowed someone to make another Final Fantasy Anthology page recently. Odd.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That page is up for deletion. Compilations like Final Fantasy Anthology should be summed up using the releases section of the games within the compilation (in this case Final Fantasy V and VI).

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

I was under the impression that compilations bringing games to new platforms were acceptable. Has something changed?

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By rallier

Ehh what is going on here?

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA
@LordAndrew said:
" I was under the impression that compilations bringing games to new platforms were acceptable. Has something changed? "
Yeah, this has always been the case. If Final Fantasy Anthology can be deleted, then so should all of these recent Sonic compilations (Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Sonic Mega Collection, etc), as well as some compilations that have actually been reviewed by the staff (SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1).
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@LordAndrew said:

" I was under the impression that compilations bringing games to new platforms were acceptable. Has something changed? "

Yes, however both Final Fantasy V and VI were released separately on PS1 in japan, so technically it wasn't bringing them to a new platform. Yeah, they never received separate english language releases so it's sort of a grey area, but I really don't see why it FF: Anthology can't be effectively summed up on the FF V and VI pages.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarFoxA
@MattyFTM: Regardless, this would be going against rules that have been held since the site's conception, and would have to result in the deletion of numerous pages (including aforementioned games that the staff has reviewed). I, for one, think it should stay standardized, and Final Fantasy Anthology shouldn't be an exception.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rallier

This game is quite a headache considering that there is both a European and a US edition that both have separate games in them. I remember there being a FF Anthology European Edition but i suppose that that page has been wiped in the same go.

edit: dammit now i have to add all those screenshots again... the anthology games had CGI cutscenes.

Siding with StarfoxA here.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarFoxA
@Rallier said:
" This game is quite a headache considering that there is both a European and a US edition that both have separate games in them. I remember there being a FF Anthology European Edition but i suppose that that page has been wiped in the same go. "
Yeah, there was a discussion about this a while ago when I posted about it and it was decided that both pages should be kept.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@StarFoxA:  It doesn't go against the rules at all. And it doesn't affect the pages you mentioned. The rules regarding compilations is simple - if it brings the game to a new platform, it is fine. If not, they are unneeded. Final Fantasy Anthology did not bring Final Fantasy V and VI to a new platform, as they had been previously released separately on PS1 in japan.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StarFoxA
@MattyFTM: I see your point, but I feel like that reasoning is pretty iffy, especially considering that Giant Bomb is a US-based site.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rallier
@MattyFTM: I thought that the rule about compilation always was "if the games in it use a centralised interface it can be added as a gamepage"
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Rallier said:
" @MattyFTM: I thought that the rule about compilation always was "if the games in it use a centralised interface it can be added as a gamepage" "
Yeah, that's what it used to be, but it's evolved into the "bringing it to a new platform" rule.
@StarFoxA said:
" @MattyFTM: I see your point, but I feel like that reasoning is pretty iffy, especially considering that Giant Bomb is a US-based site. "
That's why it's a grey area. The more we talk about it, the more unsure I am about whether or not it should stay or go. Feel free to discuss it more. The page isn't going anywhere right away.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StarFoxA
@MattyFTM: This game in particular is a very grey area, especially with its European Edition (which had two different games). I suppose it will be decided amongst the mods for now?
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rallier
@MattyFTM said:

" @Rallier said:

" @MattyFTM: I thought that the rule about compilation always was "if the games in it use a centralised interface it can be added as a gamepage" "

Yeah, that's what it used to be, but it's evolved into the "bringing it to a new platform" rule.
Ha really , that is quite an odd addition to that rule. Especially considering how it is not all that often that there is a compilation of games that were released on a single platform with a centralised interface. Only those compilation that Nintendo made on the NES come to mind. Why was that bit added?

edit: doubt that there is a single one of my posts that was not edited to either correct a spelling mistake or change up a sentence.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Rallier said:
" @MattyFTM said:

" @Rallier said:

Ha really , that is quite an odd addition to that rule. Especially considering how it is not all that often that there is a compilation of games that were released on a single platform with a centralised interface. Only those compilation that Nintendo made on the NES come to mind. Why was that bit added? . "
I don't think it was ever really "added" as such, it just sort of gradually evolved into that. It's just an easier, more black & white way of getting to the end result - cutting down on unneeded clutter in the wiki database. "centralised Interface" is an a bit of an odd term really. I mean, technically couldn't any PC game compilation with a "select which game to install" screen be considered a centralised interface?
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KamasamaK
@MattyFTM said:

" @StarFoxA said:

" @MattyFTM: I see your point, but I feel like that reasoning is pretty iffy, especially considering that Giant Bomb is a US-based site. "

That's why it's a grey area. The more we talk about it, the more unsure I am about whether or not it should stay or go. Feel free to discuss it more. The page isn't going anywhere right away. "
Sure Anthology brought Final Fantasy VI to the US on a new platform (albeit with a different name than before), but more importantly it brought the first US release of Final Fantasy V in any form. I think it should stay.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rallier
@MattyFTM: I suppose that are the PC games that are a bit messy to handle but i find the term "centralised interface" to be quite clear. When you boot up the game (after installing if needed) there is a menu where you choose which game to play. There really are not all that many PC games that do that, well not that I can think off.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By tmthomsen

As I see it, Final Fantasy Anthology should only be added as releases for FF5 and FF6.