Giantbomb and wiki points...

Suby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Suby

I feel like the way that Giant Bomb rewards people points for editing wikis is counter intuitive.  Users are given points for typing, well, anything.  You don't need to format the wiki a specific way, spelling and grammar seem to be a non issue, and content ultimately doesn't matter.  No offense to some of the users, but I've found articles that are poorly written and formatted, yet users have received hundreds of points for typing this stuff out.  Plus, it seems that if you really want to get points, a good way to go about it would just be to go around throwing in soundtracks or useless lists to a game wiki. 

Are there any plans to address these problems?  At the very least, I would like to see articles have a more standard format applied to them.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By thordain

Most of the stuff that is poorly written or nonsensical is handled by the mods till you get up to 1000 points when they give you the keys to the wiki house so to speak.  I haven't seen many lists on GB without some good descriptions either.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By roushimsx

You get lots of points from formatting text, actually.

For fun, take a poorly written shitpile and spend about 30 minutes cleaning it up. You'll be amazed how many points you'll haul in from simply cleaning up the sentence and paragraph structures, clarifying points and cleaning up the general formatting. I'm slowly working on one train wreck, trying to clean it up / make it more readable and the points have just been rolling in.

The one thing I don't like though is the lack of a versioning system. Way too easy for someone else to come in and replace your hard work with a bunch of poorly written, biased garbage.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By fr0br0

Don't worry, smart people who like to edit get as many points as stupid people who like to spam nonsense.

Suby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Suby
roushimsx said:
"You get lots of points from formatting text, actually.

For fun, take a poorly written shitpile and spend about 30 minutes cleaning it up. You'll be amazed how many points you'll haul in from simply cleaning up the sentence and paragraph structures, clarifying points and cleaning up the general formatting. I'm slowly working on one train wreck, trying to clean it up / make it more readable and the points have just been rolling in.

The one thing I don't like though is the lack of a versioning system. Way to easy for someone else to come in and replace your hard work with a bunch of poorly written, biased garbage."
Being able to go back and look at a previous version or do a rollback would be great.
ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Beginner users who have under 1000 points have to wait for their subs to be passed through moderators.

Past 1000 points, we hope that you know what is good and what is not. If you see garbage articles, then fix them instead of complaining in here. Not much we can do otherwise.

As roushi said, I wish there was a history/rollback feature so we can replace someones good work if it was replaced with something worse.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ltcoljaxson
Suby said:
"roushimsx said:
"You get lots of points from formatting text, actually.

The one thing I don't like though is the lack of a versioning system. Way to easy for someone else to come in and replace your hard work with a bunch of poorly written, biased garbage."
Is there any way to compare the live version to previous versions? "
Nope.
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

If you don't like what you see, YOU can always fix it. But if you see blatant mistakes, errors, or inaccuracies, don't leave anything unfixed. I do wish you can see the previous versions of articles though.