Requirements for background images on wiki pages too high

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheAdmin

Currently you need 1,000+ points on an individual wiki entry (game, concepts, etc) to be able to update or add a background image. I believe this is too high for the majority of legacy games that might never need that much more information to gain points, but could use a nice background image.

for example: http://www.giantbomb.com/lazy-raiders/3030-29906/ - This is a nicely filled out wiki, with releases and all, but the highest amount of points is 300+.

I think if a user has 5000+ wiki points, they should be able to change the background image, especially if there isn't one already selected.

Thoughts?

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I would love to go around adding photos and background images to Wiki sites to beautify the wiki but I don't write well enough to improve any of the wiki entries I find.

I understand they want to reward someone who "owns" that page but it should be tiered.

1. Anyone above 1000 wiki points to can and add a background to a page

2. If you have over 1000 points on that page, you are the only one who can change the background image

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TheAdmin

That would work too.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

I absolutely agree; 1000 is obscene.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

1000 per page is fine with me if you could also have a total wiki point number that would supersede that. Like 50,000? Something a lot of users never get but still gives some people the power other than putting more work to just mods and staff.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would say having 5,000 wiki points overall is a good limit. Anyone with 5,000 points is trusted to to create wiki pages and edit them without moderation, so they should be trusted to add header images.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Kerned

I think the current limit is fair. There are quite a few people with 5000+ points, so opening up the background image editing to all of them could be a mess. Rewarding the person with the most points on a given page (after a certain minimum is met) seems reasonable.

EDIT: Actually, I think there is a perfect compromise. If you have 5000+ points, you can change the BG image on any page that you have the most points on. If you have less than 5000 points, the current restriction applies. This would prevent a situation in which several people are trying to change the BG image on a given page.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I "Own" as you put it, the Creatures pages, but I am fine with not being able to add a background image. I would like to. But Im fine with not doing it.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Karkarov

Glad I aw this thread as it reminded me how retarded this new site design is. I wanted to go add on to the dragon's dogma wiki since I had over 3000 points on that wiki myself.... only I forgot with the new site I lost all my wiki points. Woops.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Nah, I'm fine with the way it is.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By reckless_x

I'd personally like to be able to eventually change background images since I have so much already saved on my computer. I can understand why there's a restriction, but I hope it is changed in the near future.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13 MattyFTM  Moderator

It's a tricky balance. I agree it could probably be a little lower. 1000 on one page is a lot. Maybe 500 would be a happy medium.

In any case, you can suggest images for the header images in this thread, and a moderator will happily set the background for you.

Shinryujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wonder what the idea and intent was regarding the header image.

If it's to award healthy wiki contributions, I think the current requirement is fine the way it is. It would encourage people to contribute more. But on the other hand, since mods are adding header images on request, it seems as though the people are more interested in nicer looking wiki pages; which suggests that it should be a regular element in a wiki page, instead of being a vanity feature.

Also, how many pages has at least 1 user with over 1000 points in it? I wonder how exclusive this 1000-point club really is.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@kerned said:

Actually, I think there is a perfect compromise. If you have 5000+ points, you can change the BG image on any page that you have the most points on. If you have less than 5000 points, the current restriction applies. This would prevent a situation in which several people are trying to change the BG image on a given page.

This is my ideal situation. I feel like with my concise writing style and the types of games I edit pages for, I'd have to spend weeks working on one page to get up to 1000 points.