What is a Release defined as?

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By face15

Just wondering since there doesn't seem to be a hard definition any where on the site (at least that I have come across); what is considered a release? 
Can we add Limitied/Collectors Editions, Steam Releases, Game of the Year Releases? 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think you can add all of those, there have been many threads asking for limited/collectors editions to be released.

Edit:  They deleted the collector/limited editions that had pages of their own, not that had been added to releases.  Sorry that was unclear.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn
@face15 said:
" Can we add Limitied/Collectors Editions, Steam Releases, Game of the Year Releases?  "
Limited and Collector's Edition releases and Game of the Year editions - absolutely.  Steam releases count as PC releases.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Essentially we have one release per region for the standard game, and anything that has something different (e.g. GOTY editions, collectors editions) can have their own releases. Assuming the steam release is the same as the retail release (minus the box & manual, obviously), there shouldn't be a need to give it a release in our database.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Sometimes a game is released digitally first, and then a retail version comes later. In those cases I think it makes sense to have separate digital and retail releases. Just as long as you don't create a separate release for every digital distribution service it's available on.

doogiemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By doogiemac

I was thinking about this today in relation to releases on Good Old Games. While technically the game you're getting is usually similar to the original PC release, it's had a lot of work done on it for compatibility, and they tend to add "goodies" to each release like artwork, soundtracks, etc. Should releases like this be considered separate?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz
@doogiemac: No.