Let's talk about that Open Beta

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conker

Been playing for a few hours. Have some thoughts. Put 'em in point form.

• The weapons feel great, for the most part. A nice mix of old and new.
  • The super shotgun.
  • THE TITLE MUSIC
  • Looks pretty nice, way more colour than the last one
  • The demon spawn pickup is a lot of fun
  • It's fast. This was a real fear of mine but the game is fast.

Dislikes:

• The rocket launcher is total crap.
  • the demon spawn is too powerful and has way too much health.
  • The games can get real quiet. If there isn't any action happening there is no background music or any ambient sounds during the match
  • Why does the announcer call out when the demon is spawning but not when the power weapon (gauss cannon) or the pickups (quad damage, haste)? are spawning?
  • Why is there a "heavy assault rifle" and not a chaingun?
  • The double jump IS a double jump- but just barely.

Overall, I'm really really excited BUT, Doom for me has always been a more SP focused game. I'm hoping that iD makes a new Quake. I'm ready for a full fledged, nicely made Arena shooter.

I cant wait man. I can't wait!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By gundogan

The demon rune spawns at a somewhat random location, the other powerups don't and are not as powerful so they don't need a callout. My only problem with the demon rune is that the hard counter, the power weapon, doesn't seem to spawn at the same time.

The chaingun will be in the multiplayer. The normal shotgun and Repeater showed up in multiplayer trailers too. There're variables in the config files for the pistol as well (including a start-with-pistol-variable so I guess that's for your own custom server*). The rocketlauncher is fine. It's still a 2 hit kill on a 'fresh' enemy (it deals 55 damage, the Quake 3 rocket launcher was 100 on a 125 hp enemy), but you need to do full hits with it since the splash damage isn't fantastic. Also a lot of the other weapons deal lower damage per second too compared to previous titles or require some charge up time.

*The server config files also include things like strafejumping (turned off by default), so we might turn this game into Quake if we can set up our own servers.

Oh it seems there's a weapon called the Hellshot too (think I saw it in the trailers too, some kind of crossbow):

No Caption Provided

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: That's basically my main gripe, the demon is very powerful and there is no clear way to counter it. Overall though its a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to some good ol freeze tag

Kairu_de_Large

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only played a few hours so far and I'm already fairly bored with it, and a lot of it has to do with the rocket launcher. In my mind I have a concept of how rocket launchers should work in games, as they do in Quake 3 or even TF2, and this one is conflicting with that every time I attempt to use it. It's honestly very frustrating.

Mechanically speaking it plays fine, the speed feels like a classic arena shooter, but in this lies another issue for me, and that is the map size. It's just so claustrophobic.

There is just such a dissonance of what this game wants to be, but I do believe the game has potential. Buffing the rocket launcher would give it a huge boost, players should not eat several direct hits and survive. Has mod support been discussed? Because I think this game provides the framework to do some neat things with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's ok nothing special I'm really hoping the SP will deliver the weapons in MP needs some major balancing the rocketlauncher is underpowered the shotgun is overpowered also can't stand the stupid taunts at the end of the match just seems lame.Also could use a server brower I hate matchmaking so much the gun fov is way to big,

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Downloaded it, played less than one round, uninstalled.

This game seems like DooM in name only. Might as well just play the new UT - it's free.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Played the closed beta and enjoyed it, but the first impression wasn't great. Took an hour or two to really find a weapon combo I liked and to get familiar with the movement.

I'm avoiding this beta so I can go in excited for the main game, even though I'm primarily in it for the campaign. I can say that it feels great so I have high hopes for shooting demons. But it's a pleasant surprise that it's fun to shoot dudes, as well.

I've gravitated toward the large scale of something like Unreal Tournament 3 in my arena shooters, but if the maps are solid and the weapons feedback from this beta gets incorporated, this may be in my mp rotation for quite a while.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm not a serious player. I'm also a filthy console shooter player with little arena shooter experience, but maaaan, when I played the Doom Beta yesterday I was just fucking grinning from ear to ear the entire time. I fucking loved it. It took the game from "I'll probably pick it up a little later" to "Shit, I think I have to pick this up on launch day", that's how much I've enjoyed the multiplayer, demon rune and all.

It's basically delivering on the things I like in multiplayer shooters, including often having extended firefights and then turning the speed and mobility up a few notches.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game's fine. Rocket launcher doing only 55 damage is ridiculous.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: I definitely am overall super happy with the MP. May is gonna be real tough with uncharted 4 and this releasing days apart!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I had a decent time with it. Felt like modern Doom. When people say it doesn't feel like Doom I can't even wrap my head around the idea of what a modern update of a 15 year old game should feel like.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

It's a really bitching looking game. Very pretty. But like I dunno nothing about the multiplayer clicked with me usually I think Brad overreacts in a lot of situations but his assessment with DOOM's MP was pretty much where I fell on it. Its not...I guess "bad" but its just got no soul its boring and just seems like a functional but soulless shooter.