Holy cow that UI is bad

• 83 results
Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@yummylee: Pretty sure I didn't play on normal and DA2 was still fairly actiony. Honestly I am looking forward to Inquisition, I think it has a lot of potential. DA2 was giving out a ton of bad signs before it shipped... but people over looked them. This time the game mostly looks great, has a few minor flaws here and there (like the UI on show here), but nothing serious. Yet everyone is out for blood and acts like they want to hate it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@karkarov said:

@yummylee: Pretty sure I didn't play on normal and DA2 was still fairly actiony. Honestly I am looking forward to Inquisition, I think it has a lot of potential. DA2 was giving out a ton of bad signs before it shipped... but people over looked them. This time the game mostly looks great, has a few minor flaws here and there (like the UI on show here), but nothing serious. Yet everyone is out for blood and acts like they want to hate it.

Well, I mean that you'll actually have to strategise and utilise the tried and true pause & play gameplay. Yes, aesthetically it'll all still look very flashy, but I played DAII (on Hard mode) much like how I played Origins and I would like to hope this'll be the same way.

Also, I am legitimately excited for Inquisition personally. It's already easy to see it has rectified many of the primary flaws of DAII, and then some.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@karkarov: I don't think people are actively seeking things out to hate, I think mostly they're trying to find things wrong just to make sure they don't get another DA2. A lot of people were very disappointed by it, myself included, and there was so much wrong that we couldn't believe we'd missed it.

I'm not even going to pretend I'm just 'looking to give feedback' though, I really do think that shit looks like poop and will yell it to the high heavens.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov: I don't think people are actively seeking things out to hate, I think mostly they're trying to find things wrong just to make sure they don't get another DA2. A lot of people were very disappointed by it, myself included, and there was so much wrong that we couldn't believe we'd missed it.

I'm not even going to pretend I'm just 'looking to give feedback' though, I really do think that shit looks like poop and will yell it to the high heavens.

I agree the UI looks bad. I hate bad UI's. If you have been involved in the Pillar's of Eternity forums I personally helped wage a UI war to prevent that games UI from turning into Baldur's Gate 1's. That said I can over look it, and don't even really care too much how the controller UI looks as I will be playing on mouse and keyboard. I do think they need to include some options for UI scaling though as those HP bars etc were far too big and obtrusive.

@yummylee: Glad to see I am not the only one on GB looking forward to it. I already got my pre-order in and can't wait to hop back into this world to see a hopefully worthy successor to Origins.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@karkarov: It's been my most anticipated game for the end of the year and I was super bummed out they moved it to November. I hope the open world is as nice as it looked in the few videos I watched.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@karkarov: It's been my most anticipated game for the end of the year and I was super bummed out they moved it to November. I hope the open world is as nice as it looked in the few videos I watched.

My birthday is in november so I am kind of digging it. Besides that is the biggest shopping month of the year so it made a certain level of sense.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@humanity said:

My birthday is in november so I am kind of digging it. Besides that is the biggest shopping month of the year so it made a certain level of sense.

My Birthday is in October, right after the release date, so dang it!

Also I still think it's better to release when there is no competition. Lord knows the only, the only reason I'm still playing Destiny is because quite frankly I have nothing else to play. Had my hopes set on Octobers PS+ free games but.. nope. Nothing that interests me. Even Driveclub which looks to be a complete snoozefest got moved back.

I had finally broken down and purchased DA: Origins a few months back on sale and beaten in. So naturally I was pretty excited to dive into Inquisition since it genuinely looked pretty good. They also did what I wanted them to do for Mass Effect 3 where at the beginning of the game you'll be asked several questions pertaining to the plot of the original game so as to continue "your story" with the choices you've made. Back when ME3 came out I got a really raw deal on the story because through a horrible accident I had lost my ME1/2 savefile and without it you get these lifeless placeholder npc's in lieu of people you knew from past games. I always wondered why they couldn't just let me run through a checkbox or something.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everything about this game is absolute worst/best ever.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ShadyPingu

I'm usually surprised at negative reactions to UI, mostly because I don't think too deeply about interface in games, and won't complain as long there's a base level of functionality there. I can't remember playing a game where the UI bothered me for aesthetic reasons.

That said, I'm not pleased about this UI using bars to show gear stats. It makes me wonder if there's a faction in the development of these games that doesn't trust wide audiences with RPG shit. Anyway, I hope there's a way to just see some raw-ass numbers, because I typically find that more conducive to optimizing my party.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

Lord knows the only, the only reason I'm still playing Destiny is because quite frankly I have nothing else to play. Had my hopes set on Octobers PS+ free games but.. nope. Nothing that interests me.

Have you ever played Dust? If not, should give it a try. I was put off by how it looked, but damn is it a quality game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanielrain: I am likewise put off by the looks and generally I just don't really like those sort of games. I liked Mark of the Ninja but thats probably because I enjoy the power fantasy of stealth games.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it depressing that people don't think that UI is hideous. Looks like they ripped it from an Xbox Indie Arcade game.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I find it depressing that people don't think that UI is hideous. Looks like they ripped it from an Xbox Indie Arcade game.

You find it depressing that people think it looks good?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Corevi
@ethanielrain said:

@humanity said:

Lord knows the only, the only reason I'm still playing Destiny is because quite frankly I have nothing else to play. Had my hopes set on Octobers PS+ free games but.. nope. Nothing that interests me.

Have you ever played Dust? If not, should give it a try. I was put off by how it looked, but damn is it a quality game.

It's a sloppy pastiche of Muramasa: The Demon Blade with furries.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I have with it is that it looks too large, but that'll probably be pretty easy to fix(at least on PC). Other than that, I think it's fine. Clean, simple, and to the point.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Let me just say, when trapessing through the jungle in full armor, carrying all those supplies you are going to sweat. Movies might make you think people managed to march for days without looking like shit, but when you've marched through a hot forest for hours you are going to look like that dude did.

The thing that caught my eye the most about the UI was how the character portraits were very stylized. I'm not sure if I like it or not but I appreciate them trying something different. Other than that the UI looked fine. And to be totally honest, as long as I can see the actual item stats somewhere, having some color coded bars that let me see on a glance if a weapon or piece of armor is better than what I already have is more than fine by me. Maybe include an option to just show numbers for the ultra-hardcore that want to figure that stuff out themselves, but for me I would really like it in RPG's if there was a simple way to say that X item is better or Y item is. I don't need to be doing math while playing a game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@karkarov: Yeah, I've noticed you on the Pillars of Eternity backer forums. I personally haven't posted there very much because, unsurprisingly, a lot of the people there are crazy. The amount of "Oh noes this game is doomed because it isn't exactly like Baldur's Gate" types is sort of off-putting.

As for Dragon Age, I don't have a huge problem with the UI even if I think the clean, minimalist look isn't a good fit for a fantasy RPG like Dragon Age. Still, I'm really hoping this game turns out alright. I've very deliberately kept myself from watching a lot of the pre-release coverage so that it can either be a pleasant surprise or the thing that kills any affection I might have had for Bioware. Of course, I also liked Dragon Age 2, so maybe my expectations are low regardless.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen a lot better, but not as bad that it will bother me as long as it's functional enough.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm not really torn up over the UI, but the demo does have a heavily... unfinished quality to it. Just a little bit off, everywhere. Exemplified by that ridiculous jump.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

It looks fine. Really, to me I wonder what RPGs do people actually like the UI? Doesn't seem like many. There are some worse than others but mostly I just deal with what I'm given.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov: Yeah, I've noticed you on the Pillars of Eternity backer forums. I personally haven't posted there very much because, unsurprisingly, a lot of the people there are crazy.

Understatement of the millennium. I try to post there often myself to make sure a certain level of sanity (just a small one) keeps a foothold.

I'm not really torn up over the UI, but the demo does have a heavily... unfinished quality to it. Just a little bit off, everywhere. Exemplified by that ridiculous jump.

There is a demo ;p?!?!?!?!?!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By Justin258

Looks quick and snappy and easy to read.

Dragon Origin's UI was quick and snappy and not terribly easy to read. One thing I really don't like is having to hover over things, I will never understand PC gaming UI's obsession with hovering over something to see stats. Inquisition doesn't seem to have that.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By nasp

looks fine to me.also this gameplay made me more glad im buying this.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@karkarov: The build that is played in that video. Not a public playable demo.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I'm glad they added controller support to the PC version. Even if it isn't as precise as the mouse and keyboard, Dragon Age has always felt more immersive to me with a controller.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@humanity: It moving to November is why I picked up Shadow of Mordor. I'm okay with that.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looked fine to me ... keep on hatin I suppose

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: yup, just call all criticism 'hating', that supports such good discussion.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@karkarov said:

There is a demo ;p?!?!?!?!?!

Bah! I tried for a solid minute to think of a way to avoid saying either "video" or "game," since I'm not talking qualifying the former and have no experience with the latter, and you still called me on it!

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not much worse than Origins. People really seem to remember that game much more positively than it deserves.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_lord_spam: Hehehehe. Just consider it a representation of how much I would like to try an actual demo of the game made manifest.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

OMG the UI is so frustrating (on console at least), especially when it comes to inventory management. It's to the point that I almost want to stop playing it. Ughhhhh.