This game runs like crap on the Xbox one

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By big_jon

I just starting playing the new levels and it's a really big bummer because this game seriously is running like shit for me, it locks up every minute or do and the frame rate seems to be all over the place.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Ol' Gearbox up to his old shenanigans.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: it appears that way, I'm pretty pissed off that a 20 year old game couldn't have been put through Q&A to run at an acceptable stability....

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Nubster

@big_jon: Surprise! When you put two bad things together, you get a bad thing.

Not ragging on you, because I do have some fondness for Duke, but with Gearbox's recent track record and the aging, misplaced legacy of Duke Nukem, I can't say I'm surprised to hear this thing is butts.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A twenty year old PC game brings Xbox One to its knees? Woof.

"Them Gearbox boys are at it again" is as good an explanation as any. I played the previous re-release on Vita, while level loading took a while the framerate was smooth.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a Voodoo2.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: Duke 3d is still awesome, and those new levels aside from the shit lockup every so often are really fun. I still have a blast with duke nukem 3d, it's anything but bad.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think I'd rather donate to Palmer Luckey's Magic Memes than give Gearbox money.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That isn't to mention the absolutely terrible sound quality due to wrong compression

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never quite understand how this happens. I guess relatively easy to run games are often totally unoptimized? I mean the Xbox One can literally run a game like Red Dead Redemption INSIDE an Xbox 360 emulator so it shouldn't be too tough to run Duke 3D natively.

Hopefully all this will get fixed. I'm actually interested in playing this, but I'd like to play it on the One. I guess I'll wait until there's a sale and check in at that point whether it's been fixed.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Playing the PC version here. Runs alright. New content? Fucking fantastic. Love it all. Sound quality is jacked, though (that is to say, some of the samples sound way, way off), and the commentary is... weird. Unevenly distributed, clips starting and ending in obvious mid-conversation...

This is a really good version of Duke overall. It just needs some patching. As for the commentary, it's a shame that it feels slapdash, but it's still cool to have. Still haven't gotten over the re-recorded Dukespeak, though. So weird to hear a new take on clips that have been burned into your brain over 20 years.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

How is this even possible?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pompouspizza

I was going to buy this last night on X1. Glad I didn't. Anyone know how it is on PS4?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it is possible to load the new content in the old game...

Man I remember the old 486 struggeling with the SVGA 800x600 mode, so no wonder the Xbox is doing poorly.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think I'd rather donate to Palmer Luckey's Magic Memes than give Gearbox money.

I wouldn't go that far.. giving Gearbox money is still putting money in the pockets of some talented artists and programmer that simply happen to find work at a bad company. The magic memes thing is top to bottom rotten.

Either way this is both really shitty and really not all that surprising.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Seems poorly optimized overall. Running the PC version and frame rate is fine but, there is something really off about the mouse look and the FOV. It just feels and looks weird, not at all as smooth as I was expecting.
And yeah the audio is kind of bad.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

That really is an impressive move to get Duke3D not not run at 60fps on modern hardware. Here's the base specs for the Atomic Edition version (which not only does your phone easily surpass but possibly also your watch, your TV, your camera, and even your washing machine):

No Caption Provided

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: I heard Levelord actually was on this for some new maps which makes this even more of a shame.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud: the standard mouse look implementation of the build engine is piss poor and it's a 'fake' 3d engine, so it might feel and look strange if they haven't changed it.

Now I kinda want to get it just to see what they've done with it in terms of porting and such or that it just runs on the base engine.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan said:

I wonder if it is possible to load the new content in the old game...

Man I remember the old 486 struggeling with the SVGA 800x600 mode, so no wonder the Xbox is doing poorly.

Someone already has done it; on the PC, all the assets are in their own folders too, so you can see all the sound effects and such.

However, they aren't going to release the new episode for the old engines obviously. At best there would be a tutorial.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@gundogan: I've mostly played the Atomic Edition with the EDuke32 source port, and that looks and feels much better compared to this version. On this the mouse look just feels inconsistent, sluggish. And there is something other than just the build engine 2.5D look. I don't know, it just looks weird.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If anyone is curious about how the Build engine works and how it renders a scene (which I believe this port includes exactly how it always ran, even if it also has a true 3D accelerated engine to provide an alternative renderer which is nicer to work with a mouse and looking up/down vertically) this article is a must-read.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@wynnduffy said:

I wouldn't go that far.. giving Gearbox money is still putting money in the pockets of some talented artists and programmer that simply happen to find work at a bad company. The magic memes thing is top to bottom rotten.

I will never give a damn dime to Randy Pitchford.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@wynnduffy: I'd rather not give any money to anyone involved in writing or voice acting in Borderlands 2 either.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:
@wynnduffy said:

Sure, but in this hypothetical situation if you were at gunpoint forced to give a part of your money to Randy Pitchford or all of it to that dumb meme organization that has ties to white supremacists, I think Randy Pitchford is a much less evil.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@wynnduffy said:
@humanity said:
@wynnduffy said:

Sure, but in this hypothetical situation if you were at gunpoint forced to give a part of your money to Randy Pitchford or all of it to that dumb meme organization that has ties to white supremacists, I think Randy Pitchford is a much less evil.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

I'd rather give money to stupid memes that ultimately don't matter in any way than fund Randy delivering shoddy products and deceiving people!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duke Nukem - A game better remembered than experienced.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesecondagent: But it's not the game part that people are annoyed with? A lot of people will go back and still play Megaton Edition and it still plays super well. It's just that the new one is a mess of a port that shouldn't be as bad as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grandcurator: The problem with the newest edition for me personally, is the audio. It sounds muffled, like somebody has taken a pillow to it. While I appreciate that John St John came back, his lines lack something, which stands out against the horrible game audio.

But for me, even if it was perfect, Duke Nukem is better remembered than actually played. When I think back to Duke Nukem, I remember having a blast. However, when I visit today, it's really not that fun. I hate the level design.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Gearbox game that runs like a pile of shit? Who would've known!?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Remember when you could say the name Gearbox and feel good about it? I loved Randy and his antics, they made cool if slightly flawed games, then something went very very wrong.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ghost_cat

Just played it on the PC and, though never a fan of the original, this version feel worse somehow. Looking around with the mouse feels very off somehow. I think original Shadow Warrior plays better than this (also more fun).