Are Game Jam games acceptable?

AlexGarbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexGarbus

A lot of the games that I want to add to the database are games that I've played from Game Jam games. Being part of a Game Jam, they are only partially finished and may not ever evolve into full games. Are these still acceptable for the database?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#2  Edited By bobafettjm

@geraltitude: I am not sure what an official stance would be, but the way I see it is if it is an actual game and was released publicly in some way I would say it should have a page.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would assume not. A conversation I heard on either the bombcast or a live show someone alluded to games that have active or even completed kickstarters might not be accepted. I'm sure I'm not getting it quite right, but yeah...

EDIT: but if you were to put together a blog post or something about your favorite game jams games, that would be pretty cool!

AlexGarbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would assume not. A conversation I heard on either the bombcast or a live show someone alluded to games that have active or even completed kickstarters might not be accepted. I'm sure I'm not getting it quite right, but yeah...

But then that begs the question, why have my submissions been accepted if they're Game Jam games? Is it because they are complete enough to be considered full games? If that's the case, what would be the criteria for determining whether or not an unfinished game or prototype is complete enough to be accepted as a full game?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

This is an interesting question. My personal grey answer is "it depends". But, if it is a playable piece of software that calls itself a game, well, I think a case can be made.

I might suggest using the "contact mods" feature if you don't find an answer to your thread in the next few days. (They'll probably appreciate it rather than have to deny a bunch of submissions, for example). I will @marino & @bobafettjm here to start, as they are very active & knowledgable as regards the wiki.

If you haven't already, do check out The Wiki Rules FAQ: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/editing-tools-820/wiki-rules-faq-1466069/#1

Though, at a glance, I'm not sure it gives an answer to this query.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@geraltitude: I am not sure what an official stance would be, but the way I see it is if it is an actual game and was released publicly in some way I would say it should have a page.

I believe the only exception would be if it's a fan game.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

@beachthunder: Yeah sorry, if it is some fan game using copyrighted assets it is a no go as well.

AlexGarbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Yeah sorry, if it is some fan game using copyrighted assets it is a no go as well.

I'm sure copyrighted assets are banned from most Game Jams anyway, unless of course they're royalty-free.