Feature addition - "second screen"

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Should this be added to the "features" of a game? There are already options to mark a game that supports camera, motion, voice, head tracking and this seems to be sort of a thing now.

By second screen I mean a game which uses an external piece of hardware not native to the system. Sony give a good example here of what "second screen is"

You can use the PS Vita as a secondary screen to display unique content when playing games that support the Second Screen feature. How the second screen is used is up to individual game developers, but possibilities include radar, maps, alternate camera angles, playbooks in sports games, and much more.

Sony support site

I think we could define "second screen" as follows to cover all systems.

- An app that runs on a tablet or phone that connects to the game and lets you do things in game is a "second screen".

- A game on the PS4 that lets you connect with a Vita and displays different information on the Vita is a "second screen"

- A game on the XBox that uses a smart glass device is a "second screen".

- A game on the WiiU which displays something different on the gamepad (mass effect, deus ex) is not a "second screen" because that gamepad is native to the system.

There's been an increase in games which are doing this like AC4, Watch_dogs, Ground Zeros and Wolfenstein.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think the WiiU pad should just count as well to avoid confusion. The PS4+Vita combo isn't too far off from that.