Points for user reviews

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

I think points should be awarded for user reviews as well. However it should not work like the wiki pages. Here's how I think it should work:

• A minimum number of words
    To keep people from spamming the site with five word reviews to raise their points
  • One set number of points
    A review is an opinion of a game, and whether a person takes 1 page to express their opinion or 10 should not make a difference.
  • Create some sort of featured reviews list for those that have earned the points
    This would only really work if the minimum of number of words is set high enough so that people who are in this 'featured' list actually deserve to be

So yea, I really do think that a user who invests time into writing a review and posting it on this site should be rewarded somehow. After all, even though it may be only an opinion, those who read the review can most definitely use it as a guide in deciding whether a game is worth buying or not.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

I clearly remember Jeff being against it.

Sure people who write reviews should get some cookies but i doubt that they'll ever get points for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Why?  Getting points for spouting your opinion? 

Those who invest time in writing a review probably did so because they wanted to, not because they wanted to use the review as a means to a different end.  Besides, points only grant you power over the wiki pages.  User reviews and wikis are about as unrelated as oranges and athlete's foot. 

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kazona
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Why?  Getting points for spouting your opinion? 

Those who invest time in writing a review probably did so because they wanted to, not because they wanted to use the review as a means to a different end.  Besides, points only grant you power over the wiki pages.  User reviews and wikis are about as unrelated as oranges and athlete's foot. "
Don't people write wiki entries because they want to as well?

Reviews aren't just a matter of spouting your opinion. It's something other people actually use as a guide for getting a game. And since the GB staff isn't going to review every game that comes out, just the ones they think matters, I think people will depend even more on the reviews of other users in helping them make a decision to buy a game. So yea, I think users who invests a good deal of time into writing something that may aid other people in their decision should receive some kind of reward.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

I don't think reviews should award points at all...and if they did; the points should be completely separate from the wiki points.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I agree with the no points for reviews things. When I want points ill go write a lengthy article. If I want to write a review I write it, I have written multiple reviews and don't care about not getting points from it. When I want points ill edit a page or write more to preexisting articles. if this happens every jackass is going to write shitty reviews for points or less reviews would be up cause they may have to be approved first. To much hassle.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterSpiffy
Kush said:
"I don't think reviews should award points at all...and if they did; the points should be completely separate from the wiki points."
Yeah, I think their should be separate points, just for reviews.MasturbatingBear said:
"I agree with the no points for reviews things. When I want points ill go write a lengthy article. If I want to write a review I write it, I have written multiple reviews and don't care about not getting points from it. When I want points ill edit a page or write more to preexisting articles. if this happens every jackass is going to write shitty reviews for points or less reviews would be up cause they may have to be approved first. To much hassle."
That's also true.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By brukaoru

Like what others have said, unless there are separate review points then I don't think reviews should get points.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shotaro
MisterSpiffy said:
"Kush said:
"I don't think reviews should award points at all...and if they did; the points should be completely separate from the wiki points."
Yeah, I think their should be separate points, just for reviews.MasturbatingBear said:
"I agree with the no points for reviews things. When I want points ill go write a lengthy article. If I want to write a review I write it, I have written multiple reviews and don't care about not getting points from it. When I want points ill edit a page or write more to preexisting articles. if this happens every jackass is going to write shitty reviews for points or less reviews would be up cause they may have to be approved first. To much hassle."
That's also true."
While I agree there is now an inherent difficulty for users who don't already have 1000+ points to get there because of the amount of 1000+ points users. It is sadly one of those scenarios where fewer and fewer people will get 1000+ points.

Seperate review points would be good especially if it was based on "was this review useful?" type questions - then you can have things like most trusted reviewers and the likes.
I say this because I personally would rather write a critique on a game than a long and wordy wikipedia article for a game.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kazona
MasturbatingBear said:
Hence why I said there should be a minimum words requirement, And I'm talking about a minimum of at least 500 words to qualify for points. Anyone who writes a review with less than the minimum requirement should still be able to post their review, but just not qualify for any points. That should immediately weed out anyone looking to get their points raised easily while still allowing those who just want to share their opinion without worrying about points to contribute as well. I just find it silly that people who just upload images en-mass can raise their points in no-time flat, while someone who writes a well thought out and lengthy review that could potentially help people decide whether a game is worth buying or not doesn't really have anything to show for it.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm against it because people would easily abuse this system to get more points. I do however like the idea of having a spot for the best user reviews.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kazona
Black_Rose said:
"I'm against it because people would easily abuse this system to get more points. I do however like the idea of having a spot for the best user reviews."
How would you easily abuse a system that has even stricter requirements than the wiki editing?

I mean, really, is this any more silly than the rating tools for the forums which very easily allows trolls to just spam the - sign?
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By OGCartman

I agree its a good idea, but looking at it from far, its a bad idea.
People will write crappy reviews for points, and will ruin the "user review" section.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kazona said:
"Black_Rose said:
"I'm against it because people would easily abuse this system to get more points. I do however like the idea of having a spot for the best user reviews."
How would you easily abuse a system that has even stricter requirements than the wiki editing?

I mean, really, is this any more silly than the rating tools for the forums which very easily allows trolls to just spam the - sign?"
Just because it isn't worse than the post rating system doesn't mean it ought to be instituted.  Really, the post rating system doesn't do much besides hide the post after a number of negative reviews.  Moderators are notified after a bit, sure, but if they determine a post's validity, then there is no trouble aside from there being a hidden post. 

I agree with a point that has been established, however.  A "Trusted Reviewer" feature would be nice, but it isn't necessary, really.  In the end, giving the user wiki points for writing a review is like paying a guy who works minting U.S. dollars for making a hundred $500 bills in Monopoly money.  There is a disconnect between action and reward. 
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

Shameless plug: Check out Vinchenzo's user reviews! I love feedback. Hell, fuck the points -- Jeff I'm ready to be hired.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kazona
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Kazona said:
"Black_Rose said:

I mean, really, is this any more silly than the rating tools for the forums which very easily allows trolls to just spam the - sign?"
Just because it isn't worse than the post rating system doesn't mean it ought to be instituted.  Really, the post rating system doesn't do much besides hide the post after a number of negative reviews.  Moderators are notified after a bit, sure, but if they determine a post's validity, then there is no trouble aside from there being a hidden post. 

I agree with a point that has been established, however.  A "Trusted Reviewer" feature would be nice, but it isn't necessary, really.  In the end, giving the user wiki points for writing a review is like paying a guy who works minting U.S. dollars for making a hundred $500 bills in Monopoly money.  There is a disconnect between action and reward. "
Agreed. The wiki entries and reviews are vastly different, so yea, I guess people are right about getting wiki points for a review wouldn't work. But I still believe that people should have some kind of incentive to write solid reviews and get some kind of recognition for taking the time to do so.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Kazona said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
Hence why I said there should be a minimum words requirement, And I'm talking about a minimum of at least 500 words to qualify for points. Anyone who writes a review with less than the minimum requirement should still be able to post their review, but just not qualify for any points. That should immediately weed out anyone looking to get their points raised easily while still allowing those who just want to share their opinion without worrying about points to contribute as well. I just find it silly that people who just upload images en-mass can raise their points in no-time flat, while someone who writes a well thought out and lengthy review that could potentially help people decide whether a game is worth buying or not doesn't really have anything to show for it."
You do know I could write something and keep copying and pasting it right? You do know I could write something and keep copying and pasting it right? You do know I could write something and keep copying and pasting it right?I forget who but I think someone on my friends list wrote a review for like mass effect giving it 5 or something stars and writing the same stuff(a single word i think) over and over again. That was annoying enough, think about how dumb it would be if any jackass could keep doing it. Also what about people who don't want points but want to write a lengthy review? what about people who will not have the required 500 words after they publish their review and want points so they decide to add in a bunch of random words in middle of the review?
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Also, there is no way for mods to approve or disapprove content if it is all subjective to the author, and opinion. Plus, I don't really see why points=reward... If people actually read your reviews and leave positive comments on your reviews, that would be enough of a reward to me.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Also, I've read some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad reviews. You can't really reject a review without all kinds of pissyness, and you shouldn't have to give points to them. There's the issue.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I could review MGS4 and just copy someone else's essay about teddy bears and toys and get 300 points!

It would be too hard to moderate reviews. If you want to write a review, then write it for the community - why do you need points anyways?

Wiki points are supposed to be like a barrier before you are trusted to actually edit the site - reviews are just on your own profile.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Babble
Arkthemaniac said:
"Also, I've read some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad reviews. You can't really reject a review without all kinds of pissyness, and you shouldn't have to give points to them. There's the issue."
Yeah, it pains me to see a review with no paragraphs.
JamesKond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By JamesKond

Maybe not a point system, maybe a rating system where users can show if they like or dislike the review (maybe: thumbs up/down) and the review with the most postive rating gets a feature?

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I write reviews on this site a pretty good bit, so I'm totally up for it.