Remakes vs originals?

cardician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By cardician

I'm not clear on this and was hoping someone could clear it up for me. How are original games handled versus remakes? For instance, I notice there is a Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter page and there is also a Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in the Sarien Encounter page. Now these are technically the same game, but one is a remake done in VGA and updated in a few other ways. There are a few other instances of the old Sierra games where this is the case, some of the originals were redone in VGA and updated in some other ways, but there are not always seperate game pages for these other games. I'm just curious what the policy should be here. Should a remake have its own page, or should it be combined with what is technically the same game? Anyone have any idea? Or should I PM a specific person with this question? Thanks.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

I know that the first Resident Evil game and the REmake for the GameCube share the same page. I would also like to know if this is the standard.

I'd also like to get thoughts on special editions, do they really need their own pages? This has probably been discussed before, but why does a game like Devil May Cry 3 need two pages. The special edition is the same exact game but with more content and easier difficulty settings, I don't see why two pages are needed.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By shotaro

If the SKUs have seperate content I would consider them seperate games - unless there was some way to access the SE content in the normal game they are technically seperate games though they IMO should occupy a single page with the SE content under a heading.

As for the OPs question if it is a direct remake I would say the same page - can we do aka aliases for game titles?

cardician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cardician

See, these are the kinds of things that really need official clarification. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one wondering this. Does anyone know the best way to get official clarification on something? Do I need to PM a specific someone, or just hope that a web design staff member eventually sees this and clears it up?

As for aliases, I thought of that but we're not able to edit the alias field as that's more for internal database use as I understand it.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By shotaro

PM a mod is my advice

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By brukaoru

A staff member will usually come in and clarify this for us. If they don't respond within a couple days, I would PM them.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

If not much is changed (like the Final Fantasy Advance titles), then I think the same page is okay. In the case of games with incredible differences and improvements (like Bionic Command: Rearmed) a new page should be good.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Endogene
Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Justin_Case
cardician said:
"See, these are the kinds of things that really need official clarification. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one wondering this. Does anyone know the best way to get official clarification on something? Do I need to PM a specific someone, or just hope that a web design staff member eventually sees this and clears it up?

As for aliases, I thought of that but we're not able to edit the alias field as that's more for internal database use as I understand it."
I can assure you clarification on this issue has been given in the past, but I agree that it should be more readily available. We are currently in the process of writing a document that will (hopefully) answer all your questions, and this one will certainly be included.

As for the topic at hand; If there are sufficient content differences (graphics, release date, public perception, level structure, etc.) it could warrant it's own page. Collector's/Special Editions do not warranttheir own pages and should usually be added under the releases section.

E.g.: Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels was released in two different time frames, had significant graphical upgrades and different controls, yet does not warrant it's own page. Simply because the information about both releases can be added under that single page. The images section can use different galleries, the release date was only alongside a compilation in North America, and the controls can easily be described in the main article.

In contrast; Super Mario Bros 3. and Super Mario Advance 4 are separate pages. This is because both were marketed to different audiences, use different titles and have significant changes to warrant their pages. Therefore Super Mario Bros. for the Wii Shop Channel does not warrant it's own page since it is the same exact game. They may have been released differently, but this can easily be explained in the main article.

In the end, it all comes down to how the users want this presented. If you strongly believe there is sufficient reason for a certain release to be split off from it's main page you are free to contact a moderator for assistance. We cannot promise you anything but we will look at your issue.

Aliases are a staff-only field. They only affect the search option.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By StarFoxA

Do you think that users will ever be able to edit aliases again? Maybe as a point reward?

cardician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cardician
Justin_Case said:
I can assure you clarification on this issue has been given in the past, but I agree that it should be more readily available. We are currently in the process of writing a document that will (hopefully) answer all your questions, and this one will certainly be included.
Thank you so much. Your answer clears it up pretty well for me I think. I posted a topic in the Combine request forum then and I suppose those two Space Quest games should probably be combined. The story is identical in both, just graphics, interface, and a few puzzles have been modified. That also helps because there are other cases, like Police Quest, Kings Quest, and Quest for Glory, where they remade the first in the series. I think your idea about just adding images from the remake and putting them in their own gallery is probably the smartest idea, because as info pages go, something can be said about the remake but there isn't enough separate information to warrant its own page.