similar games & franchises

SuperMooseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperMooseman

I've been noticing on game pages that under the similar games list, people are listing all of the games from one franchise.
For example, check out this page and then click here for the comparison image that I quickly put together and see how much space it saves. It would link to a franchise page if more than one game from that franchise is added, otherwise it would just list a singular game and link to that.
Thoughts? :)

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

I think that is a great idea, hopefully they will consider implementing this and make it mandatory to list the franchise instead of the individual games associated.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Maybe an option to list similar franchises as well?

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By hexogen

Yeah, an option to list franchises would be great. It could really shorten a lot of the similar games lists and save a lot of time for people who have to add all the games one at a time (in fact, when linking similar games I usually just select one or two from each franchise so as to not clutter up the page).

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By StarFoxA

I just had a thought; this might not work in some cases. For example, say I wanted to say that Super Castlevania IV is similar to Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid: Fusion, and Super Metroid. Then, with the "franchises" thing, it would say the entire Metroid franchise. I don't think Super Castlevania IV is similar to Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime Pinball.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

It is a good idea, but it won't always hold true because certain franchises can have games that really differ. Overall I think it's a great idea though.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KamasamaK
@SuperMooseman said:
" StarFoxA said:
"I just had a thought; this might not work in some cases. For example, say I wanted to say that Super Castlevania IV is similar to Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid: Fusion, and Super Metroid. Then, with the "franchises" thing, it would say the entire Metroid franchise. I don't think Super Castlevania IV is similar to Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime Pinball."
Well then, scrap my idea about auto linking the franchises, but allow people to add them in if needs be. In most cases the whole franchise would be more suitable. "
Except franchises can change with new games and you could have the same issue down the line. It depends on how "future-proofable" they want to make pages.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PureRok

Or they could only allow one game per franchise. This could give people the idea that the other game's franchise may be similar as well, and you won't have the clutter of twenty games from the same franchise.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kohe321

Great idea!

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By abdo
@PureRok said:
" Or they could only allow one game per franchise. This could give people the idea that the other game's franchise may be similar as well, and you won't have the clutter of twenty games from the same franchise. "
This is the best solution. It's annoying to see Similar games to e.g. Dirt 3 list all of the Motorstorm games. One is enough, preferably the one most similar, or that came out the same generation. Having Sega Rally 2, a much older game, as similar to Dirt 3 makes sense, but it makes more sense to have the latest Sega Rally game instead.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

Similar Franchises option would be nice....but this thread is hella old