• 76 results
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

What the fuck?  DId these people not go to school?
B- = 82ish, not 69

Where are they getting these conversions from? >.>

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

who cares....all it does is fuel fanboys

GB has the lowest amount of fanboys compared to other sites

keep it that way

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Metacritic has a page that explains their scoring system. Have you read it?
If they cared how their scores were being calculated, they probably wouldn't have switched to that rating system. 1UP doesn't care, neither should you.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TheKidNixon

I use MetaCritic as a one-stop shop to find all the most relevant reviews that I might want to look over, but their grading system is completely fucked. Equally fucked is the amount of importance given to it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This is their scale:

Letter Grades
Their GradeConverts To
A or A+100
A-91
B+83
B75
B-67
C+58
C50
C-42
D+33
D25
D-16
F+8
F or F-0

When you look at it like that, 67 for a B- makes sense.
daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By daz0608

Yea I hate the Metacritic scoring system with a passion, expessialy when it comes to letter grades

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Scooper

Who gives a shit about scores. Only fanboys.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

I just hate Metacritic. YEAH! We are done.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
@Daz0608 said:
" Yea I hate the Metacritic scoring system with a passion, expessialy when it comes to letter grades "
Why? It kind of makes sense, since they cover the whole scale from 1 to 100. I dont use Metacritic, but from the chart that Matty supplied it looks reasonable to me

Really though, all grading scales should become a 1-5 like GB has. Going 1-100 is pointless
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@MattyFTM said:
"This is their scale:

Letter Grades
Their GradeConverts To
A or A+100
A-91
B+83
B75
B-67
C+58
C50
C-42
D+33
D25
D-16
F+8
F or F-0
When you look at it like that, 67 for a B- makes sense."

Not really.  That's redoing the whole grading system.  In the US, letter grades are obviously based on the school grading system.
I guess metacritic isn't american perhaps?

It's retarded.   And hell, yes.  F is 60 and below.  Because honestly, after that, games just suck so much balls really.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon
@MattyFTM It might make sense internally, but when compared to how 1up uses the grade system, it doesn't make any sense.

1Up's grade system can be best described as a more specifically defined 5-star system:

A=5 stars, or "Great" games
B=4 Stars, or "Good" games
C=3 stars, or "Average" games
D=2 stars, or "Poor" games
F=1 star, or "TERRIBLE!" games

Within each of those levels, there is a +, - and straight level. So truly exceptional, groundbreaking games are given the A+ ranking; games that barely are worth the effort they were pressed with are a D-. Simple enough to understand.

Here is how MetaCritic claims they grade their 5 levels of acclaim for games:

Universal Acclaim=100-90
Generally Favorable=75-89
Mixed or Average=50-74
Generally Unfavorable=20-49
Overwhelmingly Dislike=0-19

If you look at these two scales, that would put a B- game in the middle of the "Average" reviews. But as 1Up (and Garnett Lee specifically) have made very clear, they do no consider Bs to be "average" scores; they are above average. At best, a B- should be closer to a 75, not a 67.

But as I said earlier, the worst part of this is that none of it should matter AT ALL! And really, it doesn't, until you realize people get bonuses based on this shit.
John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By John

I too could not give less of a shit about score these days. Makes my life more enjoyable when it comes to buying anything really.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By maxszy
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" What the fuck?  DId these people not go to school?B- = 82ish, not 69Where are they getting these conversions from? >.> "
*sigh* I wish there was a day that scores would be gone and metacritic wouldn't exist. Say what you want about Metacritic but in my opinion the only truthful thing its ever going to tell you is whether a game is ABSOLUTELY horrible, or ABSOLUTELY brilliant. Anything in the middle doesn't say anything. Why not? Because so many times reviewers numbered scores do not reflect what they actually say in the article. Numbers shouldn't mean anything to people in video game reviews. Its all about the words and what that person actually has to say about the game and its varying mechanics. There are plenty of games that have gotten 60's, 70's, some 50's and even a few 40's on metacrtic that I have thouroughly enjoyed. Though if I had gone by just the numbers, I never would have experienced them as metacritic tells me to shy away from those.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@TheKidNixon: Metacritic is flawed whatever the grade system is. Every sites scale is different. Even a 1-100 scale is different on every site. Some sites treat 50 as average, others 70. Their numberig system for A-F grading makes perfect sense. It might not be able to be applied to 1up flawlessly, but you no sites grading system can be applied to metacritic flawlessly.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheKidNixon
@MattyFTM I think that this really hits at the core "problem" with MetaCritic in particular and the usage of "scores" for reviews in general. They assign a certain objective, universal quality to the opinion that is a complete and utter myth.However, MetaCritic (for effecency purposes) treats a 3 as a 3 as a 3.

This is why the New York Times has the best reviews around: there's no number to give you the short hand of what the reviewer thinks, and it forces you to actually look at their analysis and come to your own conclusion what they think.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Metacritic is killing the industry.  Screw the numbers, read the words associated with those numbers.  

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Scooper said:
"Who gives a shit about scores. Only fanboys."

Fanboys and, unfortunately, publishers. You'd be surprised how many developers bonus payments etc are dependant on Metacritic score. It's complete bullshit and it's a practice that needs to stop. You're basing someones pay packet on the collective critical opinion of, honestly, a bunch of asshats opinions (because bar literally a handfull of websites, the opinions that make up the metacritic scores are from people who can no more write and critically evaluate a piece of software than tie their shoelaces) and that's wrong. Not to mention the potential problems for legitimate consumers, you've no idea who half these people are, why their opinions matter, or who's pockets they are in.

Metacritic is a good gathering if reviews and general opinions, but the industry depends far too heavily on it and it's not a good thing.
daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daz0608
@AgentJ said:
"
@Daz0608 said:
" Yea I hate the Metacritic scoring system with a passion, expessialy when it comes to letter grades "
Why? It kind of makes sense, since they cover the whole scale from 1 to 100. I dont use Metacritic, but from the chart that Matty supplied it looks reasonable to me

Really though, all grading scales should become a 1-5 like GB has. Going 1-100 is pointless
"

The main problem I have that if you have two sites that use the letter grading system, a 'C' for one site may mean something completely different for another site, there is also this problem for numbers as well. 

But letters are less commonly used for reviews so peoples perception of a letter grade is completely different, especially when you go across different countries and cultures, but usually you have the text review to back up the score that is given, take away that text review and your left just a letter. Now a 'C' for example relating it to the school system where I live (in England) for my A-levels, 'C' is okay, it's not bad if I get all C's it will mean I will get into University, I'm not going to Oxford or Cambridge, but I will still get to go to a respectable Uni, now this metacritic conversion system says that it will become a 50/100 basically a 5/10, now a game that is 5/10, unless it was a game I had been looking forward to or a franchise that I was a big fan of, I wouldn't even touch that game in my opinon 5/10 is a bad score.

So does the reviewer think that the game is a "'C' not great, doesn't stand out that much, but it's not a 'bad' game" or does he mean a "'C' this is a 'bad' game that I would not recommend" well Metacritic would rate that as a 50/100 a game that the reviewer would not recommend but you would have to read the reviewers text to see what he really thought of the game.

And I know in their corporate shpill they say something like the "Scores are wieghted differently to the final score depending on what website/magazine they come from", but that still does not cover each writer in those websites/magazines.

To sum up, I think that this is the main problem with Metacritic, and other sites like Metacritic, in general but it is a bigger problem when talking about letters

(Sorry for the long post I got a bit carried away)

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ParanoidFreak
@Out_On_Bail said:
" I've said this before and I'll say it again: Metacritic is killing the industry.  Screw the numbers, read the words associated with those numbers.   "
I agree, 1up switched to using letter grades so that people would not just assume something about the game after reading the number. It looks like it didn't work.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

The industry's killing themselves by using sites like Metacritic and Game Rankings. It was never intended for use by publishers to determine bonuses and such.

As for the scoring issue:

Q: I read Manohla Dargis' review of [MOVIE NAME] and I swear it sounded like a 9... why did you guys say she gave it an 8?

A: Many reviewers include some sort of grade for the movie, album, or game they are reviewing, whether it is on a 5-star scale, a 100-point scale, a letter grade, or other mark. However, plenty of other reviewers choose not to do this. Hey, that's great... they want you to actually read their review rather than just glance at a number. (Personally, we at Metacritic like to read reviews, which is one of the reasons we include a link to every full review on our site.... we want you to read them too!)

However, this does pose a problem for our METASCORE computations, which are based on numbers, not qualitative concepts like art and emotions. (If only all of life were like that!) Thus, our staff must assign a numeric score, from 0-100, to each review that is not already scored by the critic. Naturally, there is some discretion involved here, and there will be times when you disagree with the score we assigned. However, our staffers have read a lot of reviews--and we mean a lot--and thus through experience are able to maintain consistency both from film to film and from reviewer to reviewer. When you read over 200 reviews from Manohla Dargis, you begin to develop a decent idea about when she's indicating a 90 and when she's indicating an 80.

Note, however, that our staff will not attempt to assign super-exact scores like 87 or 43, as doing so would be impossible. Typically, we will work in increments of 10 (so a good review will get a 60, 70, 80, 90, or 100), although in some instances we may also fall halfway in-between (such as a 75).

RETURN TO TOP

Q: Hey, I AM Manohla Dargis, and you said I gave the movie an 80, when really I gave it a 90. What gives?

A: Now, if you are indeed the critic who wrote the review, and disagree with one of our scores, please let us know and we'll change it.

This does happen from time to time, and many of the critics included on this site (such as Ms. Dargis) do indeed check their reviews (as well as those of their colleagues) on metacritic.com.

RETURN TO TOP

1UP does have control over that, but they obviously don't care care how their scores are being calculated; nor should they.
dwarfzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dwarfzilla
@SmugDarkLoser:  there is a HUGE difference between a 59 game and  a 1 game.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" What the fuck?  DId these people not go to school?
B- = 82ish, not 69

Where are they getting these conversions from? >.> "
Now for the fun part. Joystiq compared the original number grades to letter grades they were converted to, and this is what the result looked like:

Surprisingly, it is not the same scale you're familiar with from school. In fact, it's very similar to the conversion Metacritic performs.

I guess 1UP isn't american perhaps?
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I think Metacritic is okay for a basic idea of a worth of a game but comparing it to others scores is really stupid. 

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

Anything and everything below a 75 on metacritic is generally perceived by their audience as a "bad game" (even though it's Average on their own scale) which is why their conversion for a B- from 1UP makes no sense.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

Metacritic always has been and always will be shit.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LordAndrew
Kombat said:
" Anything and everything below a 75 on metacritic is generally perceived by their audience as a "bad game" (even though it's Average on their own scale) which is why their conversion for a B- from 1UP makes no sense. "
Try telling that to the people responsible for the change. When the change occurred, 7.5 scores were retroactively converted to B-.

Read this for more details.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iamjohn

Converting the previous numbers to letters was a bad idea in my opinion because it instinctively taught idiots to think of the letter grades in terms of the old number system when it's supposed to be just a straight-up letter system a la academia or Entertainment Weekly.  So naturally, idiots decide to post that stupid Joystiq scale any time the topic of 1UP's scale comes up instead of simply saying "it works like it does in school."

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordAndrew

In my experience reading reviews, I've found that the scoring system is very rarely intended to be like the system used in schools.
That's the system they used to convert the scores, and I imagine that's more or less how they would have scored the games if they were still using the old scale.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iamjohn

How do you figure?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LordAndrew

How do I figure? The people responsible for the conversion knew exactly what they were doing. They must have had a reason for choosing that scale over the more well know school conversion.

But really, who gives a fuck?!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iamjohn

I was more looking for an example, but that works, I guess.  I just don't see how this isn't perfectly translating to school conversion - an A is an excellent score, a B is good but there's room for improvement, a C is okay but nowhere near a level of expertise (and if you're anything like my school, if you get a C in a course towards your major, you don't get the credits), a D barely passes and an F is an abject failure.  But in the end I agree with you: who DOES give a fuck?

Also I was just kidding about the whole idiot thing, I hope you know. :)
Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Knives

Gamerankings does it right, use them.

fiddlecub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fiddlecub

Personally, I wish that the American public school grading system would never be used as a yardstick by which to gauge game review scores. Why? Because by its very nature, it's a system in which over half of its scale means exactly the same thing: failure. It's that system that plants a very disingenuous idea into American gamers' heads about game review scores: that anything below a relatively high score is worth shit. It isn't true of course, but it's an idea that's hard to dispel. There's nothing wrong with Metracritic's system as far as I can tell. The argument that it doesn't compare to the American public school grade system is nonsense; if it did, there would be a huge hole within the scale, because a zero and a 50 would be exactly the same thing, a concept I find rather ridiulous in the realm of scoring. No website has an obligation to adhere to the rules of American public schools (thank God). 

You could argue that 1Up has essentially painted themselves into that corner by using a scale that already has a connotation. I think Metacritic and GameRankings serve as very useful tools to consumers, but I too despise that publishers use them to make important decisions. Every site's scores have different meanings--a 60 at GameSpot means something different than a 60 at IGN for example. I don't understand the ill-will towards Metacritic, however. By nature, they must convert different scoring systems into a 1-100 scale, and if they were to convert A-F scoring systems into the American public school system (and why would anyone think that that system should be used as a universal standard, anyway?), the would not only be disregaring almost half of the scale, but they would be further contributing to the very false belief that the percentages used to calculate school grades should be the standard used to calculate all evaluations. The best thing it to understand the scoring systems of the sites that matter to you and disregard any preconceived notions of what those numbers, stars, or letters meant to you in the past.

For what it's worth, this is, in my opinion, why European sites generally give much lower scores to games than you see from American sites: their schools don't use our bizarre and extremely flawed system, so Europeans do not have the connotations that we have regarding 70% versus 80% versus 90% and so on. And it's why you see so many American publications so seemingly unwilling to use the entirety of their scales--because they still correlate school grades to their own scoring systems, something I believe they shouldn't do. All the hubbub you see over review scores would so often by quelled if people stopped using those public school notions to understand scoring systems that aren't related. 
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I don't even read reviews anymore... i just ask regular people what they think about... its what the internet is for

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheKidNixon
@Knives Again, this isn't about my needs; I don't need MetaCritic or GameRankings to tell me what the composite score for games are, mostly because I know which games are going to appeal to me most of the time and which reviewers I respect the opinions of. This isn't so much about me as much as it is about the MetaCritic system negatively affecting the way games are marketed and presented to the enthusiast press, to say nothing of the fact that these things affect people's bonuses.

In response to this:

No Caption Provided
This actually even better illustrates the initial point I was trying to make. Notice how the B grades range from 8.5 to 7 (which strikes me as low for a B grade, but that is neither here nor there; the reason why a straight B is absent also perplexes). While this doesn't perfectly line up with academic grades, it does fairly accurately depict MetaCritic's range of above average, but not exceptional, work: 89-75. A 67 is much more inline with what 1Up's scale, if this were a one to one comparison, would consider in the C range, or what is considered "Average."

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@MattyFTM said:
" @TheKidNixon: Metacritic is flawed whatever the grade system is. Every sites scale is different. Even a 1-100 scale is different on every site. Some sites treat 50 as average, others 70. Their numberig system for A-F grading makes perfect sense. It might not be able to be applied to 1up flawlessly, but you no sites grading system can be applied to metacritic flawlessly. "
no site grading system is flawless when compared to any thing, its not even flawless on its own. But metacritic and gamerankings is what we got and i've found following score averages make it so i get good games more often then not.
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Manatassi

Interesting how so many of you are adamant that the scoring of games is such a negative practice, yet even giantbomb has a scoring system.

Perhaps you should weigh up the negatives and benefits of having a scoring system (as opposed to being without) a little more clearly than repeating a popular opinion with more and more expletives and conviction merely because, as it would appear, it is popular.

Metacritic is an interesting site that is clearly not perfect but a simple service provided to give a general feel for the critical acclaim of released games. Lets stop and think before charging around with pitchforks and burning torches shouting "Witch! Witch! Burn the Witch!"

There is a reason that Metacritic exists. I am not saying that the site isn't flawed. I would agree that the conversion from an alphabetic scale to a numerical one seems flawed. However Metacritic's popularity is evidence in itself that there is an audience for its simple, color coded, numerical system of averaging out scores. Looking at the top twenty games on each system does appear to give a relatively accurate representation of the critical reception of each of those games which tells you something.

If infact the only reason Metacritic exists is to fuel argument between "Fanboys" then it is simply supplying to a demand, how exactly is this the fault of the site? I am not convinced that this is the case anyway.

If some people want to be passionate about a particular system or game then why do you have such an agressive response? Yes they can be annoying if you attempt to argue with them but if you simply let them get on with their bickering and ignore it they tend to sit in their own little area and scream at each other, much the same as competing sports fans or other enthusiasts who have too vested an interest in their "team".

I think it is almost sensible that Gamespot has a System wars forum on their site as there is somewhere for these people to go vent. I just choose not to read the forum or interact with it. 

But anyway.... I digress. 

I think that there are good reasons to have scores on sites and Metacritic is a flawed but inevitable consequence of having those scores. I would just encourage you to think what the reasons for having scores may be. That perhaps there isn't a need for you to express your distain of the very idea of it without thinking it through properly and understanding why things are the way they are. How does that elevate you above the "fanboys"?

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Optiow

1up is stupid, I only go there because there is one club that still dedicates itself to what 1up used to be.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Insectecutor

I think they should give up on scales all together and just settle on an appropriate two word phrase that best conveys their feelings about the game, like "Unrelentingly Weak," or "Effortlessly Supreme"

This way no computer could parse it reliably, but humans would know what it means. And if you're deciding between two games to buy by looking only at the scores you should probably think about reading the damn review. Someone spent a lot of time writing that.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheKidNixon
@Manatassi Actually, I'd be fine and even applaud Giant Bomb if they decided to drop the five-star system; I doubt they would, if only because of the outcry from their readers, but I think it is a positive thing to consider. CGW had about four months where they didn't use scores for their reviews and the New York Times never has. But the strength of the writing carried a much more enlightening and thoughtful criticism of the game than a simplistic branding ever can.

The "problem" with scoring is that it becomes the short-hand for the review itself, boiling down the paragraphs of thoughtful reflection on the gaming experience into a quick glance. MetaCritic only enhances the problem because you get a single aggregate score, then a list of short blurb's that a second-hand source has deemed the single most relevant bit of information from that review. Criticism, instead of being a long-form reaction to a gaming experience, is reduced to a series of MTV style sound blurbs. It is all connected to the short-attention span that the internet breeds and promotes.

I'm not grabbing a pitchfork, calling MetaCritic the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. (That's Twitter, obviously.) And really, others are right: by my own logic, I shouldn't care about what MetaCritic redefines Lee's score as for their own ultimately meaningless listing. Mostly, I get frustrated because their internal logic leaves something to be desired. If they are going to label themselves as the premiere source of agreggated scores for mass media, they need to be more careful than they are with their translation of scores, prestige levels and overall design.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LordAndrew
iAmJohn said:
"I was more looking for an example, but that works, I guess.  I just don't see how this isn't perfectly translating to school conversion - an A is an excellent score, a B is good but there's room for improvement, a C is okay but nowhere near a level of expertise (and if you're anything like my school, if you get a C in a course towards your major, you don't get the credits), a D barely passes and an F is an abject failure.  But in the end I agree with you: who DOES give a fuck?

Also I was just kidding about the whole idiot thing, I hope you know. :)"
Based on what I've gathered from the reviews I've read in EGM and on 1UP, I'd possibly toss D into the "failure" pile as well.

The funny thing thing is, your interpretation is actually very similar to mine despite displaying what appeared to be a significantly different view earlier. I view 1UP's C grade as average, and D and F as being bad. But if I'd have to assign an actual score to a C grade (Something I've never actually attempted to do until today. In fact, today was the first time I saw that Joystiq comparison thing) I'd give it a 5 or 6. Which is the very same thing 1UP did when converting their scores to letter grades.

Perhaps the perceived difference in views comes from the connotations those scores were given in school. When 1UP's new rating system was launched, Shoe said:
We're not publicizing the conversion scale because we want our readers to go with our new scoring system and not be constantly translating the new letters back to our old scores. We also don't want our reviewers to be thinking about how they translate. It's just easier for us to have everyone move forward and accept the new ratings. But most people can figure it out. Our old "average" in the 5 range roughly translates to the C letter grades (with plusses and minuses), for example.
No translating. Forget the equivalent number scores because they don't apply here. Your descriptions of each grade seem to be spot-on, but that conversion simply won't do. In fact, it's best to avoid any conversion and just "move forward and accept the new ratings". I certainly have.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By penguindust

One of the problems with Metacritic's "wonky" scoring is that some publishers have used it to deny developers their royalties.  Stephen Totillo wrote about it last year...

One developer, who asked not to be named told me about an instance in which their company didn’t receive royalties for a game that sold more than a million copies. The reason was because — as had been stipulated in a contract with the publisher — the Metacritic score for the game was too low....Former GameSpot reviewers Jeff Gerstmann (Giant Bomb) and Alex Navarro said they’ve not only heard of this practice but even know developers that were caught up in it. "I’ve gotten e-mails from developers over the years who have said, ‘I don’t think you realize what you’re doing to me with this review’ because my review knocked them out of the range of some bonus that they were up for,” Gerstmann told me. That’s something that really troubles me… When I’m sitting down to write a review I’m never setting out to think: ‘I am taking food off this guy’s table.’”

I agree with Garnett Lee (ListenUP podcast). I am glad I wasn't in Metacritic's class when I was in high school.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't care what sites or scoring systems are used, publishers should not be using reviews to influence royalties or bonuses. It's a practice that needs to stop.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@LordAndrew: This I agree with, sales should reflect royalties, not opinionated reviews.  Unfortunately sales are often reflected by reviews, and far to often people are using just the number scale to make a final decision. Both of which need to stop.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Out_On_Bail said:
"@LordAndrew: This I agree with, sales should reflect royalties, not opinionated reviews.  Unfortunately sales are often reflected by reviews, and far to often people are using just the number scale to make a final decision. Both of which need to stop."
So it should essentially depend on marketing?
The thing is, sales don't reflect quality.  The logic of this is that reviews will reflect quality, which is what they want to bonus on.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LordAndrew
PenguinDust said:
"I agree with Garnett Lee (ListenUP podcast). I am glad I wasn't in Metacritic's class when I was in high school. "
Did Garnett actually say that? A bold statement if so, since Dan Hsu has stated that 1UP's scale is not the same one used in US schools.
We're not publicizing the conversion scale because we want our readers to go with our new scoring system and not be constantly translating the new letters back to our old scores. We also don't want our reviewers to be thinking about how they translate. It's just easier for us to have everyone move forward and accept the new ratings. But most people can figure it out. Our old "average" in the 5 range roughly translates to the C letter grades (with plusses and minuses), for example.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LordAndrew
@SmugDarkLoser: Reviews reflect a subjective opinion in addition to objective facts. You can't pay people based on that.
Reviewers should not have to consider the feelings of developers when writing reviews. Do you want people writing positive reviews for games that don't deserve them, just so that the developers don't miss out on royalties?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@LordAndrew said:
"@SmugDarkLoser: Reviews reflect a subjective opinion in addition to objective facts. You can't pay people based on that. Reviewers should not have to consider the feelings of developers when writing reviews. Do you want people writing positive reviews for games that don't deserve them, just so that the developers don't miss out on royalties?"

I never said to curve reviews.  I said metacritic's conversion of 1up's scores is wrong.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LordAndrew

You seemed to be suggesting that developers should be paid royalties based on review scores. That I vehemently disagree with.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@LordAndrew said:
"You seemed to be suggesting that developers should be paid royalties based on review scores. That I vehemently disagree with."
Oh, I don't think so either, but I don't think sales are a fair way to do it.