2D vs 3D RPGs Which do you believe hold up better over time?

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By liako21

Im going to have to say 2D. For example Chrono Trigger (SNES)  vs Final Fantasy VII (PS1). Have someone who has never played those games before play them on their original systems, I would think Chrono Trigger would be much easier for them to pick up, play, and enjoy. 

What do you guys think?

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Linkin10362

I completely agree, I honestly wouldn't touch FFVII anymore due to the graphics. I just can't do it. Chrono Trigger on the other hand I could do.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Steve_C

2D, but it's like that with all games. Polygonal graphics just don't hold up over time.

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Clembo

I have never enjoyed a JRPG that wasn't either Mario or Pokemon

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By jaymorgoth

FF7 is a tough one to go back to, you really can't go home with that one.  I fired it up recently and my first thought was "i remember this game looking a lot better".  Then again i said the same with FFVIII.  I think it depends on the game though cause i can still play Suikoden and have a good time. Or even Shadow Hearts: Covenant which looks great for a PS2 game.  I would say like any game it's not so much whether it's 2D or 3D but whether the gameplay and story are strong enough to carry the game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

2D, but that doesn't mean early 3D ones are bad. Hell, FF7 is still pretty fun to play.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Take a look at Final Fantasy VII. Now take a look at Final Fantasy VI. Which one makes your eyes bleed more? That's the answer to the question.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shiftymagician
@Linkin10362 said:
" I completely agree, I honestly wouldn't touch FFVII anymore due to the graphics. I just can't do it. Chrono Trigger on the other hand I could do. "
I also agree with this, though I'm more tolerant and can still play FFVII or Legend of Dragoon.  Sprite artworks hold more because they are literally moving drawings, and something about that appeals to us people as a whole a lot more than the early polygonal models of the PS1/N64 era.  Funny how that doesn't stop my young little cousin from being interested with Super Mario 64.  I can't personally play that game anymore.
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SpiralStairs

IMO the cool thing about RPG's is that they haven't changed much over the years, so they tend to age pretty well. 

The only thing that I dislike about old RPG's is the lack of voice acting, but it's not always a bad thing. Graphics don't really bother much. Like Final Fantasy VIII, which O played for the first time last year, was a great game and I thought the graphics were fine. 

So yeah, I don't really care. I prefer 3d though.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I think this is kind of a stupid question, to be honest.  

Early 3D (or today's 3D) can't hold up in comparison to a 2D sprite. The lack of an entire dimension and the fact that 2D requires less of a designer's mind to make look pretty makes it hold up better. Also, 3D RPGs really came into play in the 32-bit era, when there was more art direction required for the new amount of memory and GPU space, and 2D was around the 8/16-bit era which didn't.

You can't honestly say that Final Fantasy VII looks better than Final Fantasy 2, can you? Or that Legend of Dragoon looks better than Phantasy Star II?   

So, though 2D RPGs were obviously a product of their times, they hold up better visually.  

Though, some people never played a 2D-sprite based game in their life, so to them it is a mysterious vortex of "poopy graphics", but those people kinda suck so...Yeah.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By bonbolapti

I put it to you this way, Final Fantasy IX is ugly as hell!

But 2D Sprites Don't really show their age as much as 3D does. mainly because 3D i always evolving, and 2D has always been what it is, no matter how many bits you add.

Craiglestyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Craiglestyx

i've gotta say that while 3D RPGs can usually be awesome 2D RPGs are classic and nostalgia and will always be around. 

also, equidistant. it's my word of the day.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By obcdexter

Both.
I finished my last playthrough of FF VIII some months ago and am currently halfway through VII and in the beginning stages of Vagrant Story.
Of course they don't make your jaw drop anymore as they did back then. But if you have those fond memories of them, they can still work their magic.
Same goes for 2D sprites--not much to look at anymore, but what the hell? Graphics aren't everything, especially in JRPGs. Characters and stories make 
those games.

tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By tyler1285

You guys are all comparing late 2d RPGs to early 3d RPGs. Tales of Symphonia will hold up just as well as Chrono Trigger in my book.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#15  Edited By Stefan

I played through Disgaea 3 just a couple of month ago but could even finish the first disc of FFXIII so I'd say 2D for sure. Same goes for older games. FFVII was quite good looking at the time but if I compare it to Panzer Dragoon Saga the game was not as innovative considering it's mechanics. In my opinion it was a good game at the time but not the best. SNES rpgs however rocked across the board - I guess I liked all of them more or less and I can't even remember how many times I picked up Zelda and Terranigma.

sovereign13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sovereign13

Shouldn't the original Final Fantasy be compared to 7 in terms of holding up? It just seems a bit more fair to me.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Supermarius
@liako21 said:
" Im going to have to say 2D. For example Chrono Trigger (SNES)  vs Final Fantasy VII (PS1). Have someone who has never played those games before play them on their original systems, I would think Chrono Trigger would be much easier for them to pick up, play, and enjoy.  What do you guys think? "
I think its really a question of strong art design or not. FF9 had strong art design and i think it still looks nice. Chrono cross still looks pretty good. But alot of ps1 era 3d rpg's just look too visually sparse now.