User Lists: 0

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By roboculus92

No way would Nintendo have a new console this soon (the earliest I would guess would be 2017/2018). If they had any kind of new hardware, it would have to be some kind of peripheral thing. Of course, they've denied the rumor so there's not gonna be anything anyways.

edit: Ha, I didn't realize this was posted in last year's E3 thread. Well now I can answer your question: No, they did not announce new hardware at E3 2013.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By RuthLoose

Nintendo 1DS. I'm calling it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think there's almost zero chance of a completely new console, but I could see an "improved" or new "premium" version of the Wii U being shown.

Heck, while we're speculating, let's say they'll be showing a new 3DS XL with no 3D but a higher resolution. And a second analog stick. Sure, let's go with that.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is zero chance Nintendo will release a brand new home console any time soon. Also it'd be stupid for them to give up on the Wii U before they even release any big games for it. And by big games I mean the next Zelda and a Mario game that isn't just 3D Land on a TV.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't think a new console is going to be announced at last year's e3. :P

Joking aside, not happening. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a hardware revision for the original 3DS, though.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigdaddy81
Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Optix12

No point in announcing new hardware via a small nintendo direct, the next time they do a press conference at E3 will be the next big hardware reveal. The best it would be would either be a peripheral or making one of their current platforms smaller/better

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Too soon. 4 years from the launch of the Wii-U would probably be the earliest.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jorbit

@viking_funeral: Even that's too soon. Hardcore nintendo fans bought the Wii U and expect Nintendo to do something with it. Giving up on that console and releasing a new one would create confusion and backlash.

The Wii U is perfectly capable of being a current-gen console, it just needs a bigger library (like all current gen consoles currently do).

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think there's almost zero chance of a completely new console, but I could see an "improved" or new "premium" version of the Wii U being shown.

Heck, while we're speculating, let's say they'll be showing a new 3DS XL with no 3D but a higher resolution. And a second analog stick. Sure, let's go with that.

I'd buy that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe an updated Wii U model with more than 32GB, after they (hopefully) get rid of a bunch of the 32GB models with that Mario Kart deal.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

New hardware? Sure, they could show off that health care dongle they said they were working on last year and just this march.

"...[Satoru Iwata] pledged to use it in a similar manner to Nintendo’s traditional video games to make people “conscious about their health” and “to put smiles on people’s faces around the world”... We have set health as the theme for our first step and we will try to use our strength as an entertainment company to create unique approaches that expand this business,” said Iwata (from a letter he wrote to investors and shareholders)

I have no doubt they could show off some sort of device, sensor, or dongle that works with Wii U, but that would be it. It won't be a new system, it won't be hints about a new consoles coming in the next two years.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That would be insane of them. No chance.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I don't think they could get a completely new console out that fast even if they wanted to. Wii U Deluxe/Slim or something like that sure, Wii 3 no way.

If it's anything totally new it would be probably something related to Wearable tech they have hinted at. Maybe a peripheral or a glimpse at some new portable ecosystem.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

New hardware? Maybe. A 3DS revision is always a possibility. They do like their handheld hardware revisions. Could be some new accessory for the Wii U. Maybe a kinect-like camera or something.

But a brand new console? Never going to happen. R&D on a new console takes a long ass time. There is no way they've had enough time to do R&D on a new console since either the Wii U or the 3DS came out. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if Nintendo do announce a new console at E3, that will be the nail in the coffin. It'll be a shoddy, rushed piece of hardware, it will be a total flop and it will ultimately end in their demise.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm calling it:

WiiU slim ships with no tablet for $199.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe it, but they should probably be thinking about releasing a new console in the next couple of years if they want to stay in the home console business.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gaff

Originally Posted by joseotero

It's a conversation, and sometimes we get carried away. Peer did make the above argument, but we also framed the discussion around the context that we weren't sure. Unfortunately, the author made no effort to convey that in his news story.

If we believed what we'd heard, you wouldn't have found out about it on another site. We would have run that story ourselves. Just food for thought. [...]

Hi! I left the message below on the news story linked in the OP, but I figured I should leave it here as well:

"I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN."[...]

I don't blame anyone for running with it, but omitting that context from the story is pretty shady. Again, I get it. But I'm here to tell you the discussion wasn't as simple as "this is for real, guys!" [...]

Credit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110253187&postcount=1

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yahoo is so desperate for attention. just sad

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I would like to see would be a beefed-up 3DS+ with just enough extra rendering power to double the screen resolutions (800x480 per eye for main and 640x480 for touch) while displaying the same assets. Run regular 3DS games at the original resolution through pixel-doubling to maintain full compatibility. Then, since 3DS games can be updated, let developers patch in high res support to their existing games. It wouldn't be the first time they had one game cartridge which worked in two systems with different specs. Some games designed with GameBoy Color support, like Pokemon, still worked in the GameBoy.

Of course, this isn't going to happen... but I can still dream. :P

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Wii U yesterday. I would be super pissed if this were true but that does sound like the luck I have so it'll probably happen.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Franstone

Not sure if this was mentioned but...
What if Nintendo is making a phone?
First thing I thought of since it was going around that they were exploring the mobile front.
Now hardware/platform rumors.
Might not put Mario on an Android or iPhone, but maybe their own phone??
Too crazy?
If not... heard it here first!!
; )

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By freakin9

Nintendo already mentioned putting out new consoles, with the idea of them being really cheap. So not replacements for what's on the market now. I think there was mention of consoles for the elderly/sick as well. I forget all the details exactly, but I believe they want to sell dirt cheap consoles/portables and will likely make unique software for them. With inferior tech than you see in the Wii U and 3ds.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If Nintendo were to release new hardware, then I'd hope its a '3DS Player' peripheral for the Wii U. As it may mean that I actually use the bloody thing.

Oh, and I would kill for a 3DS with Vita quality screens.

Bombanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bombanana

A brandnew handheld or homeconsole wouldn´t make any sense at all. If there´s something to that rumor than it´s either a peripheral, or an upgraded 3ds screen, or - most likely - something QOL related.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once Smash Bros. doesn't sell the 7 million consoles they thought they would sell by March, they'll announce a new console.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ChrisHarris

Another interesting thing to see would be Nintendo throwing a bag of cash at Jeri Ellsworth to snatch up CastAR.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New console is a little hard to believe, but I wouldn't doubt a console redesign. Maybe something with more storage.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

Nintendo already mentioned putting out new consoles, with the idea of them being really cheap. So not replacements for what's on the market now. I think there was mention of consoles for the elderly/sick as well. I forget all the details exactly, but I believe they want to sell dirt cheap consoles/portables and will likely make unique software for them. With inferior tech than you see in the Wii U and 3ds.

game and watch making a comeback, yo!!!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#32  Edited By LordAndrew

Sounds ridiculous, but let's wait and see. E3 2013 is any day now.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the rumor of a New Nintendo console been floating around..... Maybe more it's 2DS again or GBA Micro level of iterative process?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: 4 years isn't that long.

The original NES only really started gaining in popularity in 1987, and the SNES came out in 1991.

The original Xbox came out November 2001, and the Xbox 360 came out November 2005.

4 years is the quickest known turn around time on a new console that had a successful follow-up. This last console generation was an anomaly as well, with most other generations lasting 5 years. 4 isn't really that far off from 5. But a lot of it depends on the costumer response in 4-5 years. Personally, I feel like Nintendo fans will be biting at the bit in just 3 years for a new console.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm calling it:

WiiU slim ships with no tablet for $199.

At this point, I wonder if shipping sans tablet would even help. If they do this, they're pretty much required to sell the tablet separately, which will have lots of them sitting on shelves, probably costing Nintendo even more money than just bundling the fucking thing in the box. This is to say nothing of having to patch and/or re-release a fucking TON of games.

That being said, a redesign is not out of the question. I shudder to think that they might just ditch internal storage altogether and make people bring their own, but that would drive costs down.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@YukoAsho: Is there a list somewhere of which games have/don't have support for alternative controllers (Wii Remote/Pro Controller/Classic Controller) already? Perhaps they wouldn't all need patches.

In my collection I see Wind Waker HD. GamePad only, but popular so it would be a likely candidate for patching. And being a GameCube game originally, a traditional control scheme would absolutely work.

Nintendo Land might be more problematic. Yoshi's Fruit Cart relies on two screens, and touch. You don't get that with a Pro Controller.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If it's a way to play my 3DS games on a wiiu, I'll buy one that day.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ripelivejam

3ds with TV out and capability for higher resolution would be nice, but i can see the backwards compatibility being a bitch. frankly any hardware update besides small tweaks to form factor/internal storage would just fragment user bases at this point. 3ds definitely doesn't need an update as 2ds is still pretty fresh (wonder how that thing did anyway...)

edit: what they will announce will definitely be a new fire emblem for wii u :)

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not going to be a completely new hardware, that would be ridiculous. If Nintendo all of sudden turned the corner and became rational and tech savy again, then a new version of WiiU that supported 3ds in a big way with an integrated online store would be absolutely fantastic.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@YukoAsho: Is there a list somewhere of which games have/don't have support for alternative controllers (Wii Remote/Pro Controller/Classic Controller) already? Perhaps they wouldn't all need patches.

In my collection I see Wind Waker HD. GamePad only, but popular so it would be a likely candidate for patching. And being a GameCube game originally, a traditional control scheme would absolutely work.

Nintendo Land might be more problematic. Yoshi's Fruit Cart relies on two screens, and touch. You don't get that with a Pro Controller.

Wind Waker HD supports the Pro Controller out of the box, as does Monster Hunter. New Super Mario Bros. U needed a patch for pro controller support, but at least it supported Wii Remote, and future printings should have pro support in the box anyway, like the New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U combo disc that was included in one of the bundles for the system.

Just out of the (meager) collection of Wii U games I have, the following games would have to be patched to work without GamePad support:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games: Sochi 2014

Rayman Legends

Tank!Tank!Tank!

LEGO City Undercover

Scribblenauts Unlimited

Scribblenauts Unmasked

Sonic Lost World

Game and Wario

Super Mario 3D World (some stages are gamepad only)

So that's eight of 22 games. I'm not sure how much gyroscopic control the PS4 and Xbone versions of Rayman Legends uses, but that can lead to work that Ubi doesn't really care to do for that game. Point is, a significant portion of the Wii U lineup would have to be re-released to work with a GamePad-free Wii U. Nintendo's stuck with that stupid device for the next four years at least. And make no mistake, they'll stick with it, if only to keep from repeating Sega's mistakes.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo is just doing a panel at E3, no press conference so there's no way they are announcing a new console.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: Even that's too soon. Hardcore nintendo fans bought the Wii U and expect Nintendo to do something with it. Giving up on that console and releasing a new one would create confusion and backlash.

The Wii U is perfectly capable of being a current-gen console, it just needs a bigger library (like all current gen consoles currently do).

Confusion and backlash kind of seem like Nitendo's MO right now, honestly.

This is obviously total bullshit though. Maybe revised hardware. Maybe even something like the DSi was, where it can play new special games that the old one can't (then nobody will ever fucking ever develop games that can't run on both versions).

Nintendo is in a difficult position these days. New hardware probably isn't the answer they're looking for. Third party support, to an extent. Decent marketing, certainly. But, for the love of all that is good and right in the world, step into the modern fucking era of technology and accept the internet as not only a viable means of gaming, but a primary resource. It's like they're fucking fighting the internet, and they're going to lose. Fix your damn infrastructure. Rebuild it. It's expensive and hard, but so is going bankrupt. And quit being too fucking proud to expand. Mario isn't sacred. Hasn't been since your umpteenth fucking version of Mario *insert sport*.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LordAndrew

@yukoasho: Oh, Wind Waker has Pro support? It's not listed on the box. I figured that would be a reasonably accurate representation of controller support. I guess not.

If it's something Nintendo has to do to sell more units, I think they would. I had thought the 3D part of the 3DS to be nonnegotiable, and then they released the 2DS. Of course 3D is not as big a deal as the primary control method, but still. It could happen if it needs to.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ChrisHarris
@lordandrew said:

If it's something Nintendo has to do to sell more units, I think they would. I had thought the 3D part of the 3DS to be nonnegotiable, and then they released the 2DS. Of course 3D is not as big a deal as the primary control method, but still. It could happen if it needs to.

It would be more akin to getting rid of the bottom screen than removing the 3D functionality.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yukoasho

@chrisharris said:
@lordandrew said:

It would be more akin to getting rid of the bottom screen than removing the 3D functionality.

I was about to say... The 3D functionality didn't exactly present different gameplay options, no matter what Nintendo marketing wanted you to believe. @chrisharris is 100% right on this. You take out the GamePad, and it's a whole, fundamental change in how games are developed. Considering they STILL won't get 3rd party support due to the power discrepancy, I can't see a benefit to being rid of the the GamePad. The fact is that they made a horrible decision and, unless they want to erode consumer trust, they're stuck with it until the 9th generation comes along.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think they should get rid of the bottom screen on the 3DS. Wait, what were we talking about again?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bigsocrates

If they came out with a Wii U with a big hard drive and integrated Eshop support (allowing us to import our Wii purchases too and promising virtual console purchases would last generation to generation) I would buy one. This is something they could do without upsetting their longterm fans or splitting the base or whatever, but they won't because they're Nintendo and they refuse to get with the times.

32Gb is OUTRAGEOUSLY small. If anything is keeping me from a Wii U it's that.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By frymillstrum

Its clearly just going to be a new accessory if anything. They announce accessories every year... Wii Motion Fit Board + 3 or some shiiiit.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Meh. Look, I want new Nintendo stuff but let's calm down. New Hardware does not necessarily mean New Console.

"They're absolutely going to show new hardware this year," said co-host Peer Schneider, after he and his co-hosts established an atmosphere of healthy skepticism. "I've heard it from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front."

A new controller is hardware. Could be a WiiU in a different color. It's like those psychic predictions every year... just vague enough that anything will pass.

"Nintendo will announce new hardware!!"
*Reggie holds up an all white 3DS with extra battery life*

"RUMOR CONFIRMED!!!"

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inside sources tell me it actually is true and Nintendo are just trying to save face to make it more of a surprise

The codename is Wii-Duu