Achievementitis!

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Sanryd

I have a problem. That's the first step, right? Admitting it? I have been infected with achievementitis. Whenever I see a game that I might be interested in playing, the first thing I check is whether or not it has achievements. If it doesn't, I don't look much further into it unless it looked particularly impressive. There are probably been a gazillion other posts like this one, but I need to get this off my chest.

I've thought about this for a bit now, and I think it stems from a sense of accomplishment. I want to know, x number of days or weeks down the road, that I finished something. I guess it doesn't have to be Xbox Live achievements, ie. Torchlight, where there are only Steam achievements, but I'll still play it once and a while. I would rather get Xbox achievements, but Steam achievements function in the same basic way, so they're good too. Then there's those in-game achievements that every iPod, 360-game-wannabe game has. Those don't fly with me, hardly worth mentioning. They don't mean NOTHIN.

The record of what I've accomplished doesn't have to be in achievement form either. Online games are A-OK with my weird achievement whore-iness too, for obvious reasons. I play or have played WoW, Runescape, League of Legends, and others with no problem.

The weird thing with all this is that there are certain exceptions, but I can't justify those in any meaningful way. For example, I will play any DS, iPhone, or nostalgic game without even thinking about achievements. My decision to play those is completely based on how fun they are to play. It's gonna be really awesome when Apple adds their achievement system to the iPhone. The games are already fun, and they'll scratch the achievement itch too. Obviously, all games should be judged based on the "fun factor", but telling myself that doesn't seem to help. What can I do about this problem?? 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: ACHIEVEMENTS. I contemplated replacing the overzealous use of the word "achievement" in this post with "ach." but it just looked real weird, so... yeah.    

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sanryd

I have a problem. That's the first step, right? Admitting it? I have been infected with achievementitis. Whenever I see a game that I might be interested in playing, the first thing I check is whether or not it has achievements. If it doesn't, I don't look much further into it unless it looked particularly impressive. There are probably been a gazillion other posts like this one, but I need to get this off my chest.

I've thought about this for a bit now, and I think it stems from a sense of accomplishment. I want to know, x number of days or weeks down the road, that I finished something. I guess it doesn't have to be Xbox Live achievements, ie. Torchlight, where there are only Steam achievements, but I'll still play it once and a while. I would rather get Xbox achievements, but Steam achievements function in the same basic way, so they're good too. Then there's those in-game achievements that every iPod, 360-game-wannabe game has. Those don't fly with me, hardly worth mentioning. They don't mean NOTHIN.

The record of what I've accomplished doesn't have to be in achievement form either. Online games are A-OK with my weird achievement whore-iness too, for obvious reasons. I play or have played WoW, Runescape, League of Legends, and others with no problem.

The weird thing with all this is that there are certain exceptions, but I can't justify those in any meaningful way. For example, I will play any DS, iPhone, or nostalgic game without even thinking about achievements. My decision to play those is completely based on how fun they are to play. It's gonna be really awesome when Apple adds their achievement system to the iPhone. The games are already fun, and they'll scratch the achievement itch too. Obviously, all games should be judged based on the "fun factor", but telling myself that doesn't seem to help. What can I do about this problem?? 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: ACHIEVEMENTS. I contemplated replacing the overzealous use of the word "achievement" in this post with "ach." but it just looked real weird, so... yeah.    

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

So to sum this all up, are you saying that you are an achievement whore?

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sanryd
@Tireyo643: Sort of, but it doesn't have to be achievements. I just want to be able to see that I played a game without firing it up and looking at the saved games.
Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Rave

Ive got the exact same problem. A few weeks ago my wife and I were in a Wal-Mart and I picked up Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3, now this is a game that would likely hold no intrested to me if it werent for trophies. I play the old games on the list until I unlock its trophy and then quit the game I dont even bother continuing with the game once Ive unlocked the trophy...so sad. 

I also find myself wishing that the DS had friend lists and achievement support as well, I think it brings me back to the old days of classic gaming and high scores just seeing if you can top the list. Atleast for me it does, I added a crap load of people from these boards on Steam just so I can compare my achievements with them and I hardly ever play PC games.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By vidiot

Dude, you only got 2 S-Ranks?! 2!!!

You're fine. Just calm down. If you want to see a serious problem, just hit my bio.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89
@vidiot: Did you do that dirty trick with Fallout 3 on PC?
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanryd
@vidiot said:
" Dude, you only got 2 S-Ranks?! 2!!! You're fine. Just calm down. If you want to see a serious problem, just hit my bio. "
Yeah, it's not so much that I want a lot of achievements, it's that I only want to play games that have them. That means I tend to miss out on lot I would probably enjoy. Also, I just started Lost Odyssey, maybe 4 hours in. Saw it on your bio. Really really enjoying it so far. How's the achievement situation there? On a scale from 1 to 10, how tough would you say it is to S-rank?
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By vidiot
@rjayb89: I own the 360 version.
@tdk08: The treasure trove achievement is ridiculous. I used a combination of youtube and a printed item list, and I think is the only real thing that gave me problems getting an S-Rank.

I know a lot of people who have had issues getting an S-Rank with Lost Odyssey. This might sound strange but for me personally: The achievements in Lost Odyssey meshed with my own play-style. Lost Odyssey is essentially a Final Fantasy game, and like all Final Fantasy games and JRPG's in general: I like maxing my characters to god-like levels. Lost Odyssey awards you as a completionist, fairly, for the most part. Getting all skills with the immortal characters does take time but it's not difficult at all. Regardless of the achievement: I would have done that anyway.

As for the special dungeons, just make sure you level up your characters accordingly.
For the extra DLC dungeon: Get ready for a fight. The real punishing thing about that game is the lack of a save in the dungeon. 

If your not looking to complete it, Lost Odyssey can net you a bunch of points with one play-through. I would give it a 7.5-8 in terms of difficulty for S-Ranking it, if only for the treasure trove achievement.

My mantra with achievements is that if it's singleplayer: Go for it. There are obvious exceptions to that rule (levels of insanity I will not abide by), but for the most part developers have been progressively getting better with regards to achievements. Don't let achievement hunting discourage you from playing games without achievements. Go pick up a portable system if you feel like you got a problem :P
NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By NMC2008

I thought this was about achieving man titties, thank goodness it's not.

ArrrCee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArrrCee

I play for achivements myself but it never runs my gameplay experience. I still play games on my computer, Wii and DS so that says something.  

I will admit that when i'm playing a game I don't like, I will try to finish it only going for the acheivements, but that doesn't happen all that often.