Am I the only one who really doesn't use the D-pad for retrogames

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deathawk

So in one of the recent Gameroom quick looks Jeff says something about the D-pad on River Raid not being ideal for the game, which reminded me that up to that point I didn't even consider using the D-pad for the game. I know what you're thinking but it's not because the 360 D-pad sucks or anything, I just usually use the analog stick to play games regardless of the platform or the style of games. I don't know maybe it's just because I was fairly young when I was introduced to the analog stick but playing 2D games with D-pads nowadays seems useless when I have a perfectly good analog stick at my disposal. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Bhouse563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bhouse563
@Deathawk:  I use the analog stick exclusively no matter what the game. And the reason is that the D-pad on the 360 controller sucks. I love every other part of the controller's design, but that D-pad can go to hell! :-D
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By manhattan_project

I don't use any D-pad unless the game makes me.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thedj93

im not used to d-pads either way; i was introduced to gaming with a keyboard and mouse. But i still use the ps3 dpad for street fighter and mk vs dc, because the analog just doesnt do it for me

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Vonocourt

For some reason, I'll use the d-pad whatever chance I get. That's how I played through the first Halo game, and was bummed when they took it out of two.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ectoplasma

Well the Dpad is actually only needed for games where u have to be EXTREMELY fast, then the analog stick will be too slow. But I dont like to use it at all. With me especially since the Xbox dpad is USELESS. Its truely worthless (Else the controller is great).

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack268

PS3 analog is meh, as is the dpad. 

360 analog is okay, dpad is like pushing your finger into a bowl of shit. 

this applies to fighting games mostly. Generally I prefer analog.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Sin4profit

I've always used the analog stick, though oddly enough in Keystone Kapers i usually use "up" on the D-pad to go into the elevators.

Though if i'm taking the game seriously i'll use an arcade stick...ya don't realize how shitty console controls are ( buttons and all ) until you play with an arcade stick.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By FreakAche

On the 360 I use analog for everything. The D-Pad is just too terrible.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By nrain

360 d-pad sucks dick.

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Mister_Snig

If I'm playing a Virtual Console game on the Wii, I use the D-Pad all the time. Otherwise, it's analog all the way. The Wii controllers have the best D-Pads for this generation (though that's not really saying much).

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I used the Xbox D-pad for Smash TV and Sonic 2, the only way i could play them competently.  

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fuzzyponken

Platforming with a stick just feels weird, man. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It depends. On PS3 or Wii, I do use the d-pad, but I hate the 360 d-pad, meaning that I played all of Symphony of the Night with a control stick.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I always use the d-pad for retro games. I guess I've never really thought about it. But if your character can only walk in four directions the d-pad seems to make the most sense. Ditto fighting games, even though you can use the analog stick on those.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've never used the Game Room on Xbox 360 but I always enjoyed having the d-pad when I played virtual console titles on the Wii.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By kashif1

i have a habit of randomly switching

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

I always use the analog sticks.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
@Deathawk said:

" So in one of the recent Gameroom quick looks Jeff says something about the D-pad on River Raid not being ideal for the game, which reminded me that up to that point I didn't even consider using the D-pad for the game. I know what you're thinking but it's not because the 360 D-pad sucks or anything, I just usually use the analog stick to play games regardless of the platform or the style of games. I don't know maybe it's just because I was fairly young when I was introduced to the analog stick but playing 2D games with D-pads nowadays seems useless when I have a perfectly good analog stick at my disposal. Am I the only one who feels like this? "

ofcourse cuz u only play fps and that classic zombie shooting game where zombie rush on you and you shoot ussing analog cuz that kind of game is best with analog.

i just bought datel turbo controller aka a wannabe 360 controller for ps3..... and it suck big time! when pressing dpad is loud sound as fuck! and when play super street fighter 4 cant even jump foward or jump backward! so fucking hard to jump foward cuz the fucking dpad suck! not responsive! gotta press hard. and when use analog..... fucking analog is too close to each other.... i have long nails holding dualshock3 is fine.... now holding this datel controlle rwith my long nail makes my nail touch each other! so awkward! and playing fighting game sis a no no for analog! cant even pull all you get effectively!~ sometimes it dont even come out! 

the comfortableness is fucking uncomfortable! its like its too high and bulky! i mean i dont have problem if it sbulky but this is jus plain uncomfortable! even the 360 controller have more comfort than this!   

why should i by for fighting game? yeah why should i? it suck! now why should i buy for fps and other gameS? cuz it still suck! analog too close to each other and shoulder button is damn weak! r1/r2 button is like a mouse click.... suck! comfortableness is uncomfortable in hand! cant believe its fucking 40 bucks! more like 10.99 !!!!

this controller suck like shiet! 
http://content.vcommerce.com/products/865/102321865/fullsize.jpg?-100604897

oh yeha forgot to mention about th shock vibration...... i compar ethe vibration with dualshock 3 and dammmm this controlle rgot weak ass vibration! dualshock 3 vibrate harder! i compare with same game.
DraftDodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DraftDodger

I will depending on the game and the console I'm playing on. I always try to use the 360 controller's D-Pad for some arcade games, but it never works right.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Azteck
@Vonocourt: Woah, really? That's a first.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By skrutop

I rarely use the D-pad on the 360 controller.  It's totally worthless.

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kbm600

I have never once had an issue with my controller's D-pad. So weird that it's such a big thing that people fuss over.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Vonocourt
@Azteck: I wish I could use the D-pad more often on my DS3, I hate how loose those sticks feel, and also the how thin and flat the nub on top of the stick is.

Now DS2, that had great analog sticks.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck
@Vonocourt said:
" @Azteck: I wish I could use the D-pad more often on my DS3, I hate how loose those sticks feel, and also the how thin and flat the nub on top of the stick is.  Now DS2, that had great analog sticks. "
I just hate that controller in general, mostly because it feels awkward in my hand. But the D-pad is far superior to that of the 360's. I'm sure there's some kind of mod out there that "fixes" that.