Anyone else think GB videos are too quiet?

Cyrisaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cyrisaurus

I always have to play the videos at max on audio on both the video player and my computer's main volume, and it's still not very loud.

I'm watching the Magic QL right now and I had to mute my TV to hear them, and in many other QLs I noticed I can hardly even hear the game being played.

I can put my headphones in and it's a lout louder, but I'd rather not each time.

I mean, it couldn't hurt for them to increase the volume, right? I'd rather have to turn the volume down if it's too loud then have it maxed out and still think it's quiet.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont think its too quiet. I do think sometimes its hard to hear the video game over them talking.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Mijati

There's not a set level of audio volume for the quick looks. Some videos are much louder than others (which is a pain as I have a bunch downloaded and just dump them in a playlist). Other than the discrepancy between the volume level in quick looks I've never had an issue with hearing the audio in the videos.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Yeah, the older videos were louder than the recent ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think they're using new mics that are quieter but crisper. Just talking out my ass by the way I don't know for sure.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dungbootle

They've been way too quiet for as long as I remember, had to crank it all the way up whenever I was watching the Deadly Premonition ER.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

Nope, when I watch with my headphones I have to turn it down.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmilingPig

No, I think that evryting else is to loud.

clark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By clark

They are quieter than anything else I play. On my tv I usually have to double the normal volume.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ares42

Generally most videos (at full volume) comes out at about the same volume as everything else on my computer. Although the MTG one was a tad quieter than normal. I would recommend implementing a system where you have a master controller that's always at a low or medium level (allowing for big changes either way) and then adjusting everything else accordingly

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By benpicko

Yeah, watching the DayZ video and it's really quiet.

Dude_What

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dude_What

It seems to be random, but yeah, a lot of the videos are too quiet. I frequently have to use headphones because full volume on my laptop speakers isn't loud enough.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By PixelPrinny

Okay so I was having a similar issue with the video sounding a lot quieter at max volume than other audio (ie winamp, media player, etc.). A friend suggested I change a windows setting and it's equalized the sound quiet well. Your own mileage may very but if you have a Windows machine this is worth a try:

1) Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Sound

2) Click on your primary Playback Device (ie Speakers) and then click Properties down in the bottom right.

3) Click on the Enhancement Tab

4) Check Loudness Equalization and then Apply and OK.

Again, your mileage may vary but this seems to be working well for me so far. GB videos (and quite a number of YouTube ones) at max volume were often as quiet as playing Winamp at 1% volume, it was ridiculous. But since applying that loudness equalization the difference is much less significant.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn your audio up?

@PixelPrinny: I just tried that, and that really did a difference, thats actually pretty good.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

I find that their volume is too inconsistent.  Going from video to video sometimes requires a lot of volume adjustment.  Turned on Loudness Equalization recently, but I haven't watched enough videos to determine whether or not that's working.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By stonyman65

@AlexanderSheen said:

Yeah, the older videos were louder than the recent ones.

Yeah. I'm having to turn my headphones up a bit louder than before. I think the volume on the Bombcast has gotten better though, but that could just be due to the higher production quality vs. when they where recording in a basement lol.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo

Pardon?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Too quiet? I'd actually say GiantBomb is outspoken!

On topic, though -- I've never really had a problem with volume so it'd probably your sound hardware/sound settings. I do use over ear headphones, however.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope, no problems here.  
Sad to hear you have problems though

falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falconpunch

I agree, they are quiet compared to all the other videos i watch on the internet.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By natetodamax

I'm not having that problem. Even out of the iPad speakers I can hear the videos just fine. Try seeing if PixelPrinny's advice solves the issue.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeh, much quieter than any other videos I watch online. Weird!

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By mak_wikus

Trailers are the loudest. The quick looks are fine, but it seems that the live stuff need a volume bump.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Milkman

I did notice that Magic Quick Look was kind of quiet compared to other Quick Looks. 

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WarlordPayne

They're much quieter than any other video I watch online, including trailers posted on this site, but not so quiet that it can't be solved by turning the volume up some.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I think the speech to gameplay volume is just right. I'm never too interested in the gameplay volume actually, and if it's a game I'm interested in it helps because I may miss little things that I will hear when I play it myself.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGorilla

YOUR SPEAKERS ARE FUCKED.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By B0nd07

Actually, almost all of the videos since the move (usually Quick Looks uploaded by Vinny) are quite a bit louder than they used to be. I've actually had to turn my volume down for a few. The ones uploaded by Drew on the other hand, tend to be close to the volume that they all used to be, which are/were on the quiet side. Current live streams can be a bit quiet as well.

It's not a major complaint, but it would be nice if they would standardize their video audio levels.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jams

I sent Drew a message about the volume of videos being a lot lower than everything else I play, but I never got a response. I have to turn up my speakers 50-100% to hear good then turn them down to 25% for everything else.

Cyrisaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cyrisaurus

@PixelPrinny said:

Okay so I was having a similar issue with the video sounding a lot quieter at max volume than other audio (ie winamp, media player, etc.). A friend suggested I change a windows setting and it's equalized the sound quiet well. Your own mileage may very but if you have a Windows machine this is worth a try:

1) Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Sound

2) Click on your primary Playback Device (ie Speakers) and then click Properties down in the bottom right.

3) Click on the Enhancement Tab

4) Check Loudness Equalization and then Apply and OK.

Again, your mileage may vary but this seems to be working well for me so far. GB videos (and quite a number of YouTube ones) at max volume were often as quiet as playing Winamp at 1% volume, it was ridiculous. But since applying that loudness equalization the difference is much less significant.

This definitely helped! Thanks duder!

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By louiedog

I have to turn my laptop's volume up pretty much all the way, but it's on par with watching Netflix and Hulu.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

The game audio can be from time to time. But they usually add subtitles so it's all good usually.

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sean2206

I think their quiet compared to other videos although i rarely notice unless the guys have a loud reaction to something in the game such as the bear vs giant in the Skyrim QL. I also think it is sometimes very hard to hear the game over their commentary I know that's really what were their for but there are things like dialogue I'd like to hear.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dagbiker

@FinalDasa said:

The game audio can be from time to time. But they usually add subtitles so it's all good usually.

Usually the dialog is not the problem, I agree, sometimes though they will make a comment about the music, then proceed to talk. And the game volume being low makes it hard to hear what they are talking about.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@Cyrisaurus said:

I always have to play the videos at max on audio on both the video player and my computer's main volume, and it's still not very loud.

I'm watching the Magic QL right now and I had to mute my TV to hear them, and in many other QLs I noticed I can hardly even hear the game being played.

I can put my headphones in and it's a lout louder, but I'd rather not each time.

I mean, it couldn't hurt for them to increase the volume, right? I'd rather have to turn the volume down if it's too loud then have it maxed out and still think it's quiet.

I am usually fine with the volume but the Magic quick look was especially quiet.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@Dagbiker: Agreed, it can be a pain. But more times than not it's okay.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yeah, I always have to turn my iPad volume to max and they still can be difficult to hear if there's anything else going on. If I want to watch them while simultaneously playing a game on my PC, I have to drop the game volume down to below 25% before a QL's audio comes into prominence.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Hizang

I'm watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run on my iPad and yes I do, I often have to use headphones.