Anyone picked up a RetroN 5?

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I've been watching old streams what contain Windjammers because I really want to play Windjammers, but I'm waiting for the PS4 release of Windjammers and the PS4 release is not out yet, and Disc Jam kind of sucks or I suck at it... As a result, I came across an old stream of Jeff showing off his RetroN 5, I think. He seemed up on it, but I was curious if anyone else has picked one up and used it extensively. I'd like to grab one, I have a bunch of old NES, SNES, GBA, etc. games I'd like to dust off, but is the RetroN worth the cost? They're going for $160 at the moment, which doesn't sound too unreasonable if it's a quality piece of engineering, but if it's cheap crap that's going to crap out quick, I'd rather save my money. Anyone have any insight here?

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Everything I've read or heard, the construction is fine. The issue is that it's just emulating, and it doesn't do a 100% job of it. You'd be just as well getting ROMs or finding a way to dump your cartridges, and using an emulator on your PC or putting together a Raspberry Pi with some emulator.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BelowStupid

I have one. It's fine, doesn't fell like it's worth $160 when you hold it, feels hollow, and thin cheap plastic, but it totally plays those old games. I actually found out about raspberry pi a few months after I got it as a gift.

I would just go with a Pi 3 myself. 35 bucks and it'll play windjammers.

Avatar image for thebeanemachine
TheBeaneMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have a retron 5 and have had problems with it. The system will not read snes games at all even after the countless times I have updated and factory reset the thing. I do not care for the built quality, not worth the msrp.