Anyone remember when you could actually trust major blockbuster games to be good?

• 53 results
DarkTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarkTemplar
Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Nate

I think you're dreaming. I think there have been disappointing blockbuster games as long as I've been gaming (early nineties). Before that? Well, maybe - but I sure don't remember.

Avatar image for harvey_the_pooka
harvey_the_pooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By harvey_the_pooka

Are you saying that every major blockbuster game is not good? I mean Drake´s Fortune, Red Dead and many others come to mind which were REALLY good.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RVonE

No.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Nah.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeeGee

Nope.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I remember being really hyped up for Gears of War due to one of my friends constantly raving about how it'd turn out prior to its release. I definitely wasn't disappointed either - I was actually rather blown away! 

I'm an impressionable person, though. So even if a game would actually turn out being mediocre, I'd still find something to appreciate it for. Although, maybe I shouldn't have voted "Yes" just judging by my one experience with GoW, since that's really the only one blockbuster I was really looking forward to that turned out even better than I anticipated. I'm might have spent more time on that game's multiplayer that even any of the recent Call of Duty games...

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Skald

Someone is nostalgia trippin'.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial would have probably been considered a major blockbuster prior to release by 1982's standards, and it's widely considered one of the worst games ever made. And even that was years before I was born. So no, I don't remember this magical time where major blockbuster titles were always good, and I find it hard to believe that such a time ever existed.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MayorFeedback

When, exactly, was this time you're referring to, man? 'Cause...

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mesoian

Nope. That's why games media gets so much attention when it comes to reviews and previews. 

Hell, Dues Ex 3 is going to be one of the biggest games of the year and I am scared to death for it because I am not convinced it will live up to the legacy's name.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoMate

well no and yes, I used to be a whole lot less critical about my games so even bad games (anyone ever played bugdom, a game that would standard come with apples when it was still mac OS9) would be considered good, but I was just fooling myself it turns out

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, as there was never a time when that happened. Wait, let me guess: you think all indie games are super awesome, right? That would seem to be compatible with your line of thought.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ninjakiller said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
Seing how he created a "funny" (and thankfully closed) COD video thread, followed by this nonsensical poll, I'd say the OP is high.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Afroman269
@atomic_dumpling said:
" @ninjakiller said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
Seing how he created a "funny" (and thankfully closed) COD video thread, followed by this nonsensical poll, I'd say the OP is high. "
How dare you accuse him of something like that, I go out of my way to avoid the forums when I'm high so I don't make myself look like an idiot. OP is just silly.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By armaan8014

no

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By MEATBALL

It seems to me that it's easier to trust blockbuster games to be 'good' than it has ever been. A significant amount of releases these days are of high polish and general quality. I'm not saying everything that gets released is great, but it feels like we get very little in the way of straight up bad games these days - aside from the shovelware that is so easily ignored.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ninjakiller
@Afroman269 said:
" @atomic_dumpling said:
" @ninjakiller said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
Seing how he created a "funny" (and thankfully closed) COD video thread, followed by this nonsensical poll, I'd say the OP is high. "
How dare you accuse him of something like that, I go out of my way to avoid the forums when I'm high so I don't make myself look like an idiot. OP is just silly. "
Hmmmm the mods apparently scrubbed my original upload.  I MUST RETREAT TO THE BATCAVE TO FORMULATE A RESPONSE TO THIS VILLAINY!!  *WHOOSH!*
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By danielkempster

We still can't flag polls? I thought Top Men were working on that issue ages ago. Threads like this prove the function is still very much needed.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By infininja
@harvey_the_pooka said:
" Are you saying that every major blockbuster game is not good? "
How did you reach that conclusion?
jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jmfinamore
@MEATBALL: That's what I've always thought, actually. It seems to me that more games are decent and enjoyable now than ever before. 
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember that time...and then it ended and the only good games I bought were made by Bioware :/

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By FancySoapsMan

No.

When was that?

IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IchiroYagiza

Not really...

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryoma122

sorry my memory just isnt up to that level of use these days

Avatar image for altered_confusion
Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

Vaguely, I remember that there used to be this thing called the Seal of Quality where some of the big name games not only had to be big but had to make it through an entry process... oh those were the days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Altered_Confusion said:
" Vaguely, I remember that there used to be this thing called the Seal of Quality where some of the big name games not only had to be big but had to make it through an entry process... oh those were the days. "
Indeed. Games based on blockbuster movies like Friday the 13th, The Nightmare on Elm Street, or Back to the Future.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By imsh_pl

CoD 4.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By 234r2we232

I think he's referring to the fact that Rockstar haven't changed their formula in a decade, but their trickery still worked again last year with Red Dead Redemption. I hear you on that :)

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bones8677
@Altered_Confusion said:
" Vaguely, I remember that there used to be this thing called the Seal of Quality where some of the big name games not only had to be big but had to make it through an entry process... oh those were the days. "
Yeah Nintendo used to pride themselves on their seal of quality back in the NES days. Now, they don't give a fuck.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Bones8677 said:
" @Altered_Confusion said:
Yeah Nintendo used to pride themselves on their seal of quality back in the NES days. Now, they don't give a fuck. "
You actually believe the Seal of Quality meant something?
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bones8677
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
Yeah Nintendo used to pride themselves on their seal of quality back in the NES days. Now, they don't give a fuck. "
You actually believe the Seal of Quality meant something? "
Well, back then they at least made a big deal about it.
raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By raiz265
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
It LOOKED cool!
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Famov
@Bones8677 said:
Well, back then they at least made a big deal about it. "

What you mean to say is that you took it seriously because you were a kid. Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Seal of Quality went on any legally published game on a NIntendo platform, which is exactly what happens now. 

Nothing has changed.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Bones8677 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
No, they didn't.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bones8677
@Famov said:
" @Bones8677 said:
What you mean to say is that you took it seriously because you were a kid. Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Seal of Quality went on any legally published game on a NIntendo platform, which is exactly what happens now.  Nothing has changed. "
Actually no, I didn't get into games till around the N64 era. I'm just going off of what others have said.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bones8677
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
No, they didn't. "
Dude, whatever.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Famov said:
" @Bones8677 said:
What you mean to say is that you took it seriously because you were a kid. Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Seal of Quality went on any legally published game on a NIntendo platform, which is exactly what happens now.  Nothing has changed. "
This is a true statement. If it wasn't, my NES copies of Bayou Billy and Widget wouldn't have the Seal of Quality stamped on them, that's for damn sure.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MattyFTM said:

" E.T. The Extra Terrestrial would have probably been considered a major blockbuster prior to release by 1982's standards, and it's widely considered one of the worst games ever made. And even that was years before I was born. So no, I don't remember this magical time where major blockbuster titles were always good, and I find it hard to believe that such a time ever existed. "

Seems a bit ridiculous to go back as far as that. I don't really think any videogame could have been considered a blockbuster then; there weren't the sheer numbers of home console owners there are now.  

Even if you go back ten or twenty years, though, you'll find exactly the same idea: much like movies, quality isn't a given, regardless of decade. Looking through rose-tinted spectacles doesn't help anything.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Bones8677 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
No, they didn't. "
Dude, whatever. "
Someone's upset.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By cornbredx

There has never been a time this happened. Sometimes big games are good, sometimes they are bad. There was never a time when a game came out and wasn't disappointing or surprising.

I only mean to say that bad big budget game have always been around. This isn't something new, it's just becoming even more common now it seems.
Then again, some years are really good, and others are really bad. So you never know, 2011 could be a really good year for gaming. We'll see.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ninjakiller
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Bones8677 said:
No, they didn't. "
Dude, whatever. "
Someone's upset. "
Clarification to the point.  They made a big deal about the seal, but in terms of quality it didn't mean jack shit.  it just meant that the software was licensed through Nintendo and the big n got their tithing.  It didn't mean shit in terms of quality of the game.  
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By CL60

Let me guess, you're one of those people who think a game is garbage and bad if you don't like it?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King
@CL60 said:
" Let me guess, you're one of those people who think a game is garbage and bad if you don't like it? "
Isn't that how most people think?
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#46  Edited By BeachThunder
@GetEveryone said:
" @MattyFTM said:

" E.T. The Extra Terrestrial would have probably been considered a major blockbuster prior to release by 1982's standards, and it's widely considered one of the worst games ever made. And even that was years before I was born. So no, I don't remember this magical time where major blockbuster titles were always good, and I find it hard to believe that such a time ever existed. "

Seems a bit ridiculous to go back as far as that. [...]"
Just pretend that he said Daikatana...
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CL60
@Video_Game_King said:
" @CL60 said:
" Let me guess, you're one of those people who think a game is garbage and bad if you don't like it? "
Isn't that how most people think? "
Yes, which I hate. Just because something isn't for you doesn't mean it's garbage.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By McGhee

I don't answer loaded questions, dawg.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King
@CL60: 

But in my experience, yes, a lot of the games I don't like are garbage. I know we'll hotly debate this in a few minutes, but are you willing to defend Bubsy and Dudes with Attitude? Eh?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60
@Video_Game_King said:
" @CL60:   But in my experience, yes, a lot of the games I don't like are garbage. I know we'll hotly debate this in a few minutes, but are you willing to defend Bubsy and Dudes with Attitude? Eh? "
It's fine to say a game that is universally disliked by 90% of the populace is bad. But I hate it when people come out and say games like Final Fantasy 13 are garbage, or Mass Effect is garbage. When they really aren't they just don't like them.