Are intern videos on Youtube harming the Giantbomb?

• 53 results
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Sambambo

Giant bomb content on youtube is great - it gets the message to many more people and should bring in a lot more money

However...

They have lumped the main guys content in with the interns, and some of the stuff is painful to listen to. All videos start off with just noise and by the time they stop making it (I am guessing they stop?) I have already turned off as it is too annoying.

I thought this was just me though, I am easily put off things, but today a friend who isn't really game savvy asked where he could find informative gameplay of Halo: Anniversary. I told him to look up Giant Bomb - which he did on youtube.

The video he saw was an intern one where they were playing co - op. He said he couldn't stand the presenters and for the exact same reason as me, which is that they are annoying and think that loud monotonous noise can stand in place of informative banter (the same as 95% of other youtube gaming videos)

Having the interns on the same channel will make casual passers by think that Giant bomb is just another crappy youtube gaming account, when in fact it has some of the best clips around. Screened once had a intern channel, why doesn't Giant Bomb?

Thanks.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty

YouTube scares me for two reasons.

1. Intern videos

2. YouTube comments

I'm just kidding, well half kidding, maybe.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think this is a little harsh on the interns, I believe those guys do good work but they of course don't have the experience and ability with this stuff that veterans like the main Giant Bomb staff do. As you basically said here the issue is less to do with the intern content and more where that content is featured. Personally, while I like the interns and enjoy their work I would like to see more of a partition between their work and that of the community and staff.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By ki11tank

I won't even watch gb videos on youtube, but more power to them as long as I have my choice.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Arebuckle

From my limited knowledge of the GB youtube channel, I'm pretty sure that it started off as a channel for the intern stuff only. It's really only as of late that it was used for staff content. So in a way the staff videos are actually invading the intern channel.

However I may be mistaking in the YT channel's original use.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Tylea002

I quite like the intern content! They're good people, funny and intelligent, and know their shit. The only difference is they're not as experienced as the GB main staff, and don't have that already built popularity. I am pro interns. Fear Gauntlet never harmed anyone!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

No.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TentPole

Yes.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrockNRolla

The interns vary in quality. I really enjoyed some, of the "Betting the FarmVille" and "Fear Run" stuff (while it lasted), but these things are miles ahead of some of the other content like the free-to-play videos. Could the mix give people an incorrect impression of giantbomb? Sure, it's possible, but if you really want the giantbomb experience you should be on the real website anyway.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@BrockNRolla said:

The interns vary in quality. I really enjoyed some, of the "Betting the FarmVille" and "Fear Gauntlet" stuff (while it lasted), but these things are miles ahead of some of the other content like the free-to-play videos. Could the mix give people an incorrect impression of giantbomb? Sure, it's possible, but if you really want the giantbomb experience you should be on the real website anyway.

Fixed

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Juicebox

I like the interns. You guys should just come out and say that your jealous.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ftomato

I'd like it if the intern stuff was on the main site in it's own videos tab. That would be great. They don't have to be in the Latest tab if it bothers anyone.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrockNRolla

@AlexanderSheen Right you are.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By zameer

It can be pretty weird, yeah. I get the feeling that they're particularly encouraged to push out lots of content quickly, so you can't always expect that level of quality & production you get from the main crew or even from the Fear Gauntlet series.

It'd be silly to demand that it gets posted elsewhere or not at all; it wouldn't be good practice for them otherwise. I'm pretty happy with the current system: the best intern content gets community spotlighted.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

The worst thing about the interns is they take up at least half of the positions on the front page of the website which are reserved for

Rad Stuff Made by Our Community

with their Youtube bullcrap. I think that's totally unfair on so many levels, as they technically don't even count as Community, rather Staff, and it hides a lot of genuine good content that could get attention on the main page, and show how awesome GB's community really is.

/rant

pacmanlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By pacmanlh

The intent of the Halo:Anniversary Co-op videos is not to inform on the game, they're just fooling around and creating content while having a liitle fun. The interns do create informative videos when big games come out showing how to get secrets or beat a boss and the Free-to-Play has a nice balance of information about the game and fooling around.

Although I will admit, every time I go the youtube page I am greeted with Steve and Daniel singing "Halo, Halo, Haaalllooooo!" which kind of annoys me but its fine. They make great content but they should really update the community page so that people actually know that a video that they produced was released.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Patriarch

No. The Fear Gauntlet of Condemned: Criminal Origins was some of the best GB content this year in my book.

I have shown GB videos to friends, "game savvy" or not, in the past, and some of them haven't enjoyed videos featuring the 5 main guys either. If you don't know the site or the guys in advance, I think there's just as big a chance that you won't like a video with Ryan as there is with one featuring Daniel.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NegativeCero

Can't say I've followed the intern videos, but I have been meaning to watching them. I guess I have nothing to add other than from what I have seen, the interns do a good job and more content is never a bad thing.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By FreakAche

The intern videos are perfectly fine. It's clearly just an attempt to expand out to the IGN/Gametrailers type of audience, which I don't really have a problem with.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainCody

@Chavtheworld said:

The worst thing about the interns is they take up at least half of the positions on the front page of the website which are reserved for

with their Youtube bullcrap. I think that's totally unfair on so many levels, as they technically don't even count as Community, rather Staff, and it hides a lot of genuine good content that could get attention on the main page, and show how awesome GB's community really is.

/rant

All the more reason for there to be an Intern Content tab.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By FLStyle

@CaptainCody said:

@Chavtheworld said:

/rant

All the more reason for there to be an Intern Content tab.

+1

Personally I think that an Intern Halo Co-op video being the channel's default "Featured" video in front of, for example, the Nolan North interview is not acceptable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Interns aren't the only ones. Just like those two Quick Looks, if you get past the annoying intros, there's usually some good content there. Though just like regular Quick Looks, it's hit-and-miss, plus they're interns, not professionals. They're getting better all the time. Personally, I really enjoy the Intern content.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By DarthOrange

Fuck you dude the intern shit is entertaining and free. At least the interns don't charge me to watch there videos......yet.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By AndrewB

There's a different reason I feel like the intern content should be separate. It's hard to sift between it and the "official" content. Specifically, it's hard to find stuff like the Fear Gauntlet, especially when it isn't properly categorized or added to the appropriate playlist.

Nor can I sign up to catch all new content, because then I get a flood of stuff I either watch on the Giant Bomb site or don't want to watch at all.

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By diabloshadow

I am actually kinda upset at how jaded some of you are. I love a good chunk of the intern's content, especially the Halo Anniversary playthrough. I really don't think it harms GB and on the contrary is actually some fun stuff to watch, don't get me wrong they can get a little lame sometimes but its still pretty good.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm more concerned with whoever runs the channel. All the videos are mislabelled. The Ryan/Patrick QL of Rock of Ages is just getting people pissed off because for some reason its named "Rock of Ages Walkthrough" on YouTube. Why call it a walkthrough when its obviously not? Why not just call it a quick look? That channel has issues and it creates the impression that GB is just a YouTube thing.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vexxan

I think the Fear Gauntlet was great but I haven't watched much of the "newer" intern content.

Like someone mentioned, an intern content tab would be GOLD to have, the YouTube channel shouldn't be their only way of distributing the videos they make.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deusx

Shut up dude, most GB users like the interns videos. The only thing harming the site is how they don't care 'bout the users and never update the community section.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Buscemi

There are intern videos?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX

No I like the intern videos. If you (or anyone else) don't like them, don't watch them. Whatever.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@DystopiaX said:

No I like the intern videos. If you (or anyone else) don't like them, don't watch them. Whatever.

Kinda hard to avoid them when they're always the "featured" video on the youtube page. Oh, and when I'm trying to find the Endurance Run on YT because Giant Bomb's videos have been acting super fucking weird on the main site? I have to sift through about a hundred bullshit Intern vids before I get anything close to what I'm looking for.

You can act like this isn't an issue all you want, but it's akin to digging your thumbs into your ears and screaming "LALALALALALALA."

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sambambo

@DystopiaX said:

I don't.

I was worried that they would harm the name of Giantbomb to the casual public.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Simulacrum

NO.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I haven't been keeping up with their content at all. Really should fix that soon.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DystopiaX

@KingWilly said:

@DystopiaX said:

Kinda hard to avoid them when they're always the "featured" video on the youtube page. Oh, and when I'm trying to find the Endurance Run on YT because Giant Bomb's videos have been acting super fucking weird on the main site? I have to sift through about a hundred bullshit Intern vids before I get anything close to what I'm looking for.

You can act like this isn't an issue all you want, but it's akin to digging your thumbs into your ears and screaming "LALALALALALALA."

They're already not on the main site, what the fuck do you want? No vids at all? They do a good job and are there to learn how to do that shit. Bottom line is that people have been bitching about the interns and intern content ever since they showed up to Whiskey, and this is just another permutation of it. You act like clicking "next" on a page is really that hard, when it's not. Avoid them by not watching them, and quit bitching because it takes 2 seconds longer to find the video you want in a secondary method you hardly use anyway.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I think the interns do some fucking great content. Fear Gauntlet, Free2Play, Indie Adventures, Halo Anniversary playthrough, etc. I like it all.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By YOUNGLINK

good point homie

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sambambo

@DystopiaX said:

@KingWilly said:

@DystopiaX said:

They're already not on the main site, what the fuck do you want? No vids at all? They do a good job and are there to learn how to do that shit. Bottom line is that people have been bitching about the interns and intern content ever since they showed up to Whiskey, and this is just another permutation of it. You act like clicking "next" on a page is really that hard, when it's not. Avoid them by not watching them, and quit bitching because it takes 2 seconds longer to find the video you want in a secondary method you hardly use anyway.

A good solution would be to create a different youtube account for them, as I suggested in my original post.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@DystopiaX said:

@KingWilly said:

@DystopiaX said:

You might want some Preparation H, for an asshole you're awfully sensitive.

I didn't say I didn't like or want the intern content. I just want a simple, organized method for viewing the videos. Playlists would be good. I'll see the Halo co-op vids (which are good), the Fear Gauntlet, Quick Looks, Endurance Run, all of that. Just keep them organized so it isn't a huge fucking chore to slog through them all. Simple solution, isn't it?

Or maybe I'm not seeing things from your perspective all the way up there on that high horse.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EightBitShik

I am with you on this one. More power to the interns but it should be separate or at least have a disclaimer because yeah youtube is a big advertisement for Giantbomb to bring in new people and it's probably not the best way to say "Hey we are bad ass". It could be worse though the videos could have Patrick. BAZINGA!!!

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#42  Edited By KillyDarko
@The_Patriarch said:

No. The Fear Gauntlet of Condemned: Criminal Origins was some of the best GB content this year in my book.

THE best, in my very own personal book.
bslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bslayer

I disagree. I love the intern videos (most of them). I mean, have you seen the Fear Gauntlet? It's awesome. The Let's Play of Halo: Anniversary was kind of annoying for the first 2 episodes because of the sound effects done by the interns. They stop doing those, though. The interns do a great job of providing additional content that the main staff just don't have time for.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By time allen

you take the internet too seriously

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By Skogen

Look on the bright side. At least they aren't wasting their bandwidth posting the intern videos on the main site.

gale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gale

@KingWilly: They already are organised in playlists? For example, with the exception of the Endurance Run, all the things you mentioned have playlists. They're not updated as often as they should be (and that's pretty bad, given how hard it is to find actual content in amidst all the trailers) but they do exist.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Commisar123

I wish they were on the actual site so I could know when new ones were up easier

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By McGhee

@Juicebox said:

I like the interns. You guys should just come out and say that your jealous.

Sure I'm jealous, but that doesn't make them entertaining.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By vaiz

I used to hate the shit out of the interns, but they've grown on me. I've come to the conclusion people are bound and determined to hate anyone who is not Drew, Dave, or one of the OG 4 at this point. U jelly bros?

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sirdesmond

A lot of the intern content is great and is clearly labeled as Intern content in almost every situation I've seen it. The Fear Gauntlet is better than most of the Giant Bomb features in recent memory and it's an intern piece.