Are most internet forum users right about Halo being overrated?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By majormoe

If you ask a lot of internet forum users what games they find the most overrated, they'll say Halo. Do you think they're right? I say yes, because I'm a hardcore gamer.

What so special about Halo that makes it good? Dynamic A.I. with and sandbox combat? Pffft! No way! Those stuff are so lame, outdated, and casual. Games with overly scripted A.I. like Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty 4, because that stuff is interactive and hardcore. When I play Half-Life 2 and COD4, every fire fight is the same and it's so satisfying because I don't need to use strategy with the straightfoward combat system. Halo is lame, because it forces me to fight against intelligent enemies and use a sandbox combat system, it's so dull because it forces me to use strategy and I hate strategy. I like it better when I have to move from one scripted set-piece to another, fighting the same waves of brain dead A.I. and solving easy seesaw puzzles

The multi-player is so lame, because it's not about whoever shoots first wins, it's about use tactics with the sandbox combat. That stuff is so boring, because it forces me to skill and I can't camp or I'll be punished for it. That's why I play games like Call of Duty 4, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, and Counter-Strike. Because it allows campers to win, because that stuff is hardcore.

What else? Tight controls for a console FPS that allows you to individually aim your weapon with smooth precision? Hah! That stuff is for noobs! Good console first-person shooters like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and TimeSplitters 2 that use auto-aiming and sluggish controls. Cuz that stuff is hardcore.

We internet users are so hardcore, we spend more time f***ing around on the internet and complaining about games than playing them. That is why we like broken and badly design games like Alpha Protocol over well designed and polished games like Mass Effect 2. Cuz we hardcore!    

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

All your threads seem to be bitching and moaning about games you don't like. Christ, you're so bad you make me seem like a positive guy.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august

Meh.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bravetoaster
@MysteriousBob said:

" All your threads seem to be bitching and moaning about games you don't like. Christ, you're so bad you make me seem like a positive guy. "

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you. 

Also, Hardcore Gamer is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasta
@majormoe said:
" That is why we like broken and badly design games like Alpha Protocol over well designed and polished games like Mass Effect 2. Cuz we hardcore! "

You high? Things like that don't happen. 
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By guiseppe

Yes, but that's mostly because I've nevver gotten what the big deal about it is. It feels stale and the guns look and feel like they're sold at Toys R Us.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidSwords

Hardcore Gamers = Retards

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Azteck

I liked Alpha Protocol.. and Halo. You don't have to choose you know.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bravetoaster
@LiquidSwords said:
" Hardcore Gamers = Retards "
I like the way you do math.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman

No.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Popogeejo

Yes but that doesn't actually mean much other than the fans are passionate. Overrated is a product of the fandom, not a problem with the game and people who use the "overrated" as a complaint about anything are simply idiots.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cegoraph
@majormoe said:

"We internet users are so hardcore, we spend more time f***ing around on the internet and complaining about games than playing them. That is why we like broken and badly design games like Alpha Protocol over well designed and polished games like Mass Effect 2. Cuz we hardcore!     "

Yeah, it's quite obvious that this guy isn't meant to be taken seriously.
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hondorondo

and so tonight we say... HIP HIP CHIN CHIN

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Gizmo
@MysteriousBob said:
" All your threads seem to be bitching and moaning about games you don't like. Christ, you're so bad you make me seem like a positive guy. "
Yeah, don't you have other things to worry about then people enjoying playing a particular franchise of game. OP is pathetic.
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

You're just as bad as the people you're hating.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

On the internet, everyone is right and everyone else is wrong.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Um flag?

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wickedsc3

i think your a little heavy on the sarcasm.  But on to your point, some people like halo some don't.  Why do u care is some people think its overrated, if you like it that's all that matters.  I personally played halo odst and liked it, but i also play mw2 and like it.  And i could care less that people think mw2 is crappy, i have fun playing it and thats all that matters to me.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cegoraph
@Abyssfull said:
" On the internet, everyone is right and everyone else is wrong. "
Cuz we hardcore bro!
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Hooray for silly generalizations! 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Most forum users aren't right about anything. So...no.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

It's absolutely overrated. Not in a "lol it's bad but the people who like it are too stupid to realize it" sense, just - it really wasn't first about any of the stuff it's hailed as the inventor of - it was just very well optimized for being played on consoles, unlike most similar games before it. So, it's certainly an historically important game, it certainly revolutionized console gaming - but it did not revolutionize the FPS genre. Despite that, many claim it's the best and most revolutionary FPS ever made.

Which I personally think is sad, since those people don't seem to realize that the genre had existed for nearly a decade before it was released.

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By majormoe
@fisk0 said:
" It's absolutely overrated. Not in a "lol it's bad but the people who like it are too stupid to realize it" sense, just - it really wasn't first about any of the stuff it's hailed as the inventor of - it was just very well optimized for being played on consoles, unlike most similar games before it. So, it's certainly an historically important game, it certainly revolutionized console gaming - but it did not revolutionize the FPS genre. Despite that, many claim it's the best and most revolutionary FPS ever made. "
Yeah! cuz sandbox combat haz beenz done beforez inz gamez liek doom, half-lifez, and godleneeyez 007!
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By vaiz

Hey, cool, it's this thread again.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FreakAche

You guys know that he's being sarcastic right?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@majormoe said:

" @fisk0 said:

" It's absolutely overrated. Not in a "lol it's bad but the people who like it are too stupid to realize it" sense, just - it really wasn't first about any of the stuff it's hailed as the inventor of - it was just very well optimized for being played on consoles, unlike most similar games before it. So, it's certainly an historically important game, it certainly revolutionized console gaming - but it did not revolutionize the FPS genre. Despite that, many claim it's the best and most revolutionary FPS ever made. "
Yeah! cuz sandbox combat haz beenz done beforez inz gamez liek doom, half-lifez, and godleneeyez 007! "
No, those are not example of sandbox FPSes, but there were several in the late 90's - Codename: Eagle, Wargasm and maybe to some extent Battlezone (first person FPS/RTS hybrid) - EDIT: oh, and Tribes, obviously, probably the closest to Halo when it comes to level design, visual style and gameplay in general.
majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By majormoe
@RiotBananas said:
" @MysteriousBob said:

He does have the Dreamcast logo as an Avatar. 

Also, I think he's being a tad sarcastic but it's not working and he looks like a tool. "
yeah I r tool cuz i leikz teh haloez!..... NOT! i r not sarcatik! i r honst cuz I dont leikz teh haloez! real gamerz dont playz haloez! only poser gamerz do! im a hardcore gamer!
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gargantuan

"Do you think they're right? I say yes, because I'm a hardcore gamer."

Stopped reading there. No, I don't think Halo is overrated because the Halo haters outnumber the Halo fanboys a lot. 

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@FreakAche said:
" You guys know that he's being sarcastic right? "
Notice how he was able to bash every other game that isn't Halo sarcastically saying Halo sucks.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@Gargantuan said:
"  "Do you think they're right? I say yes, because I'm a hardcore gamer."  Stopped reading there. No, I don't think Halo is overrated because the Halo haters outnumber the Halo fanboys a lot.  "

I'm not sure, I haven't seen much in the way of Halo hating. Can't say I hang on any other US centric gaming communities than Giant Bomb though, so I've probably just missed that.

The Halo games are undoubtedly good games and historically important, but just not as genre defining as their fans often claim them to be.

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By majormoe
@fisk0 said:
" @Gargantuan said:
"  "Do you think they're right? I say yes, because I'm a hardcore gamer."  Stopped reading there. No, I don't think Halo is overrated because the Halo haters outnumber the Halo fanboys a lot.  "

I'm not sure, I haven't seen much in the way of Halo hating. Can't say I hang on any other US centric gaming communities than Giant Bomb though, so I've probably just missed that.

The Halo games are undoubtedly good games and historically important, but just not as genre defining as their fans often claim them to be.

"
Liking Halo is fine, being a Halo fan makes you an idiot. That is why internet users are smart, and Halo fans are not.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cookiemonster

No Caption Provided
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I agree with everything you said even though I didn't read what you said.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By animateria

Yeah, I'm totally hardcore, bro.

None of that softcore business, yo!

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't listen to the internet. 
The internet thought "Snakes On a Plane" was going to be a runaway smash hit.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Brendan

I know it's not that funny, but does noone get that this is some kind of satire?  It's so obvious it's punching me in the face!
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Brendan said:
" I know it's not that funny, but does noone get that this is some kind of satire?  It's so obvious it's punching me in the face! "
Notice where he decides to sarcastically "hate" Halo while also bashing other games effectively saying those games are the crap and Halo is the best.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@Brendan:
Well, yes, it's obvious, but that doesn't mean we can't just ignore him and try to have a rational discussion about it none the less.
majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By majormoe
@fisk0 said:
" @Brendan:Well, yes, it's obvious, but that doesn't mean we can't just ignore him and try to have a rational discussion about it none the less. "
You can't have rational discussions with Halo fans! Cuz they are blidn to the games they so love! Unlike Half-Life fans! They are open-minded and intelligent, unlike Halo fans. It is the reason that no Halo fan is also a Half-Life fan.  

Fuck Halo, and fuck it's fanbase of megacunts! Yahtzee FTW!
JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JoeyIA
@SethPhotopoulos: Fo Sho! *hits flag link*
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#47  Edited By Sin4profit

open minded and intelligent people don't start forums about how right or wrong the opinion of another is....

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

I have no idea what's going on here, but I suddenly have the craving for a BLT.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrKlorox

aaannnnnd score a point for lowest common denominators. as if you people needed greater numbers

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By fjordson

$200 million in one day speaks much louder than basement dwelling "hardcore gamers".