• 52 results
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By project343

So, I've been playing through Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. It's a janky-ass jank game that feels like it's from a small, Northern European studio. It's contrived, it's bizarre, and boy, does it try hard to leave an ugly first impression. And it's a remake of the utterly broken Divinity II: Ego Draconis--a second chance.  

Yo son, there's an action bar. And 'NUMBERS.'
 Yo son, there's an action bar. And 'NUMBERS.'

Through the entire first 10 hours, I feel like I loved it for what it was: something traditional. But I think the 'fun' came with a promise I made with myself: this will get better with time. Fast forward: I'm 25 hours in, and I think I adore this game--it's a complete blast.

Skip along to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, a game I'm currently replaying in preparation for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and I'm running into the same issue when talking to others about it. Most people I talk to who happen to LOVE the RPG genre tell me something along the lines of: "oh ya. I couldn't get into Oblivion. Got out of the first dungeon then it completely lost me." So, despite enjoying the genre, they were still lost to the game's "initiation" process.

[grade qualifier] + [item type] + [effect name] - [gold value] - [weight with 1 decimal place] = [(effect type) + (value) + (duration) + (destination)] * 8
[grade qualifier] + [item type] + [effect name] - [gold value] - [weight with 1 decimal place] = [(effect type) + (value) + (duration) + (destination)] * 8

But then I got thinking: are role-playing games inherently an 'acquired taste'? Do you always have to slog your way through overwhelming amounts of interface, steep learning curves, numerical values, ability lists, min-maxing suggestions, dozens of important characters/locations/themes/lore, and unintuitive controls to simply enjoy each game in this genre? Is there a way to overcome this without losing the core foundations of what an RPG is?
ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShadowofIntent

Morrowind was my first open world rpg and i fell in love the first time i played.  People need to learn how to use a quest log.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The two games you've chosen are difficult to get into.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think they're necessarily an acquired taste, look at all the kids who've played Pokemon as one of their first games and ended up sinking hours into it. As I hope my previous example helps prove I also don't think RPGs inherently contain aspects such as overwhelming interfaces, or bad controls, these are just the products of bad design, and elements such as learning curves and game depth in general vary greatly from RPG to RPG. I didn't enjoy Oblivion either but then again I felt rather lost in the game all the time, I didn't enjoy the game world, and I found the combat pretty bad.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

I don't recall having to "slog" through any part of Oblivion specifically. I think in many situations it has more to do with patience. RPGs are very different from first-person shooters in that you can't just say "Okay, this button aims, this button shoots, let's go."

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't think they are. 

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By project343
@ShadowofIntent: My problem with Morrowind was the dice-rolling disconnect between a physical hit, and a technical miss. Swing an axe at a dude's face and just watch as he doesn't even react or take damage. Stats, in this instance, represent far less of a dynamic element of your character, and more of a world-breaking contrivance that utterly distinguishes the game as a fictional, designed world.

@FancySoapsMan: Well, I suppose this discussion primarily surrounds Western-styled RPGs. Although, there are certainly some areas of Japanese design that 'wrangle' players out of the experience: invisible walls, an overemphasis on animation, random encounters, dense story introductions, etc..
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd say no, but then I'd remember that I hated Earthbound and Final Fantasy VI back when I was first playing JRPGs. Oh, what a fucking idiot I was back then.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aronman789

RPGs like Oblivion can be a bit hard to get into because of how open it is, I for example didn't play it when I first got it because the amount of freedom hurt my brain.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By crusader8463

Situations like yours I like to think of as that condition that hostages can some times fall into where after a long time they start to sympathise with their captors.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Generally speaking, RPGs are a genre of degrees, and while most people here are fully capable of playing Oblivion, whereas I'm sure more than a few would rightfully balk at some of the crazier stuff I've blogged about. To use your example, Divinity II is a really clunky game. I played the demo, and it seems like something I'd purchase for $20. In that game's case, it's less an acquired taste more about "What total jankiness are you willing to ignore for the sake of being able to play another open world RPG before Skyrim comes out?" the problems of that game having more to do with bad design than any sort of complexity. I could understand if someone balked at playing Baldur's Gate, because that game is long, fairly difficult and demands a lot from the player. So I guess my answer is "Yes, but only up to a point"

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

Can't say they're an acquired taste. They just aren't for everyone. 

Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Ubik
@project343 said:
" So, I've been playing through Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. It's a janky-ass jank game that feels like it's from a small, Northern European studio. It's contrived, it's bizarre, and boy, does it try hard to leave an ugly first impression. And it's a remake of the utterly broken Divinity II: Ego Draconis--a second chance. 
I'm curious: what felt janky about Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga to you?  I've been playing--and genuinely enjoying--that game on and off for a few weeks now; in fact, the only reason I haven't finished it is because I got sidetracked when Dragon Age 2 came out (so many dragons, so little time, you know how it goes).  Honestly, I'd say The Dragon Knight Saga is as polished and stable a game as I've seen in the past few years.  Post Script: I never played Ego Draconis, which I understand to be totally broken.

As far as Morrowind goes, I sunk 40+ into that game and gave up when I lost all concept of what the hell I was doing wandering around that world.  Also, first-person melee combat has never been engaging for me.  Both factors have kept me from trying Oblivion.

Lastly, I don't know if RPG's are an acquired taste, but I'd suspect that there's definitely an accepted level of interface/system bullshit that most RPG players take for granted that perhaps other people might not be willing to put up with in a game.  The fact that most RPG players are willing to "grind" in what's supposed to be a fun way to pass the time must say something about us.  It's a good question, though.  I wonder what particular pleasure centers in my brain RPG's latch onto that keep me coming back for more?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Certain RPGs definitely are, moreso than games from other genres I think, but I don't think the entire genre is an acquired taste.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

I think that many JRPGs are aquired taste but with there being so many other RPGs out there which can fid audiences (as there's sci fi with Kotor or Mass Effect as well as the huge amount of fantasy RPGs). As there's so many RPGs out there there might be some franchises that could be acquired tastes though best tip if you don't like the game but like the idea of building the character/class/skills & go through the story then go browse around on game sites (ie. here as well as gamerankings to get a good overview of reviews for a game from other sites as some older RPGs are lacking on giantbomb for reviews) then find it's demos or buy it cheap on steam or amazon's new & used section then try it out.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OmegaChosen

An acquired taste would mean everyone would revile them at first before slowly getting used to them and that certainly isn't the case. You just have to have the right mindset to play RPGs.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

Just like every genre, some games are better than others.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yinstarrunner
"slog" is a really weird word to use when a lot of that stuff is what attracts me to the genre in the first place.  An RPG without complexity, like Mass Effect 2, drives me away.
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, Oblivion got worse and worse the deeper I got into it. By the time I hit the 25 hour mark I was all: "fuck this game".

Never played it again.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Andorski
@EpicSteve said:
" Can't say they're an acquired taste. They just aren't for everyone.  "
I feel like both phrases are the same.  To like something, anything... you have to have a inclination for it.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I don't think it's an acquired taste, more that there's a different barrier to entry for something like Neverwinter Nights when compared with some generic shooter (CoD, MW, MoH, ME2, etc.)

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blueaniman93
@FancySoapsMan said:
" The two games you've chosen are difficult to get into. "
yeah, some rpgs can be difficult to get into and there are always simple ones
i got into it with final fantasy and have been playing them ever since
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well I know that dice rolls always make me hard....

RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RudeJohn

Been playing the Dragon Knight Saga revision since I picked up my pre-order a few days ago. And while I typically couldn't care less about in-game music, the bonus CD makes for some easy listening.

D2:DKS isn't the best looking, but she definitely puts out. Visuals may be a bit last gen, but I've yet to have any problems, e.g., getting stuck in the environment or having it freeze up.

It's not the deepest or most complex rpg you'll every play, but it is fun. There is some humour and the scripting is solid.

Like a lot of games, it can seem barren at times, as in "Where the hell is all the wildlife?" And it would make for a more enjoyable experience if enemy npc's would respawn. Going back to empty dungeons for loot is just plain boring.

Perhaps DKS will inspire me to return to Oblivion. Played it for a few hours once and lost interest as soon as I had to follow some idiot around in the rain. Think I fell asleep.  :-x

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jasta

Depends entirely on the game. There's a good chance a bunch of people who enjoyed Mass Effect won't like Oblivion, loved the Pokemon games but hate Diablo, all are RPG's yet they are completely different. 

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By Leafhopper

No I don't think so. I think they are just something that require thinking, something people don't want to do now a days.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero

No, just most of them are crappy. Might I suggest Fallout 3? What a game!

bongoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By bongoboy

For me RPG were an easily "acquired taste". Obviously, not everyone feels this way. RPG elements are almost inescapable in gaming since many games use basic forms of RPG elements like simply leveling up your character.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fenixrevolution

I think any genre is an acquired taste, honestly. When I had a lot of free time, I loved RPGs, but now that I don't have that much time, they feel like a chore.

Personally speaking, the same can be said of any genre now. If I'm not ensnared in an hour or so, I probably will not finish that game. Off the top of my head, the last games that I did finish quickly were RDR, Batman: AA and Uncharted 2.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@ajamafalous:
thank you wise sage
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Example1013
@crusader8463: Stockholm Syndrome.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think this applies to certain games.  Divinity and Two Worlds are definitely ones that spring to mind.  They're fairly mediocre and have their fair share of flaws but are still quite a lot of fun to play once you get into them.

I've also been playing through a few of the Dragon Quest games recently and I think this applies to them as well.  I don't really understand why it has such a massive following in certain countries.. the games are rather basic, stories and characters are rather flat, and they tend to require a huge amount of grinding to progress at certain points.  But there's a certain charm to the simplicity of them, something I think the Final Fantasy series has lost.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The OP should try being a teenager and having Fallout 2 be your first experience with the genre. That shit'll put you right off of RPGs in general.

Seriously, I couldn't even get out of the first goddamn dungeon for years*.

I think RPGs are not so much an acquired taste, but more so they require more patience to start. You need to create your character, and you need to really think about what kind of character you want to play. Then comes the fun part of learning how to play the game in a tutorial setting (something RPGs have gotten much better at over the last several years or so), and then you're dropped into a world to do your business. In most old RPGs I've played, the tutorial level can be incredibly punishing if you don't roll a specific build, and doubly so if you haven't got the slightest clue as to how to play. Especially in the case of Fallout 2 (and I loved it), it was total information overload in the character creation process. Then the game began and it was school-yard bully hard. 

With all of this said, I think the genre is my absolute favourite now, and I recently dug out my Fallout Trilogy pack to replay the oldies. Traditional is good when it's done well,  and it turns into Divinity II (read: shit) when it's not. 

*it did not take me literal 'years', probably more like a couple of weeks in the summer of '99. Sure as shit felt like years at the time, though.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

They're not all the same acquired taste. Mostly, RPGs are for people who prefer taking their time and prefer having the option to grind out of a challenge. More and more people want the ability to basically toggle "easy mode" without literally toggling easy mode, that's why so many other kinds of games now have loot and leveling up, all that shit. People who play RPGs in general are more interested in an experience than in challenging themselves. Look at Demon Souls. Add one little nuance, requiring timing for your hits, and RPG vets are calling it the hardest game in the universe. Its because that's not what most RPGs require. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By penguindust

Nah, they're not an acquired taste like coffee.  I've never known anyone who took a sip of their first cup of coffee and said this is what I've been searching for all my life.  That can be said of RPGs, though because there are other factors in our personality that shapes us to enjoy RPGs.  A love of narrative, free exploration and visible improvement are among the qualities RPG fans have, I believe.  I came from the paper & pencil world of RPGs before getting into computer RPGs, so I was drawn to the genre early on and terribly disappointed in offerings of the 90's.  It wasn't until I shed some of my preconceptions of what is an RPG that I was able to enjoy the games more.  Plus, advancements in technology helped and I immediately fell for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind which felt like the tabletop games I grew up with. 

@WinterSnowblind:  When it comes to Dragon Quest, what appeals to me in each game is its familiarity.  Unlike Final Fantasy, I never have to learn a new combat and spell system.  I know if I want to save, I go to a church; as soon as I get some cash, it's smart to bank it, etc.  The monsters are like old friends (the knight on the slimeball) and chances are I'm going to have to take sometime and grind a level or two to keep progress with the bosses.  They are charming, yes but also comforting because I know what I'm going to get in each game.  I'm not saying that all are equally good, but I never need to spend a lot of time figuring out the "how tos" of the game's mechanics. 
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By project343
@Ubik: Camera positioning coupled with the reticle (I mean, any third-person RPG with a reticle that dictates camera movement), the lack of control while jumping, the AI and their inability to outsmart player movement (think: jumping on top of a rock to blast melee enemies without retaliation), the incredibly low-grade voice acting coupled with piss-poor facial animations, the slightly-too-long delay on the dragon transformation, etc. etc.

They're all small things, and some of these blemishes are certainly 'charming,' but they do make the game incredibly clunky, janky, and unapproachable. It's like comparing Mass Effect 1's gunplay with Gears of War--the mechanics are all roughly the same, but the level of jank in Mass Effect is overwhelming.

@yinstarrunner: It's less about complexity, and more about making the game user-friendly. Opening a menu and seeing a ton of numbers is not user-friendly. When you start up an RPG for the first time, there are two things that players need to haul their way over: 1) the complexity to the systems at work, and 2) the lack of finesse that the developers in presenting these systems [read: jank]. These systems don't necessarily have to be something like 'an enchanting system,' but rather, it could be something as simple as player movement. Aside from The Elder Scrolls series, there are few RPGs that I'd say handle player movement properly--invisible walls, awkward animations, commitment to animation (think: Lost Planet), awkward objects in the environment as obstacles for the player, etc..

I'm just wondering why role-playing elements almost always come hand-in-hand with these nuanced issues. Just look at Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect 1, Bioshock (to a degree), Fallout, Oblivion, or Vampire: The Masquerade. Is it a budgetary issue? Is it a conflict of 'a lot of complex content not working in tandem'?

It's this that leads to what I call "an acquired taste." Because anytime that you (at least for me) enter a role-playing game, I have to suspend my disbelief, hope for the best, and invest a couple dozen hours before I start to enjoy myself. It's almost like I'm riding off my fantasies about the systems at work (I can't wait to have this awesome fireball spell that I can get at level 17), and pretending to not be slugging through jank to get to that enjoyment.
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phrosnite

I think... yeah they are. I've played many RPGs and I liked most of them but very few I loved...

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By melcene

RPG's aren't an acquired taste, but there are some games in the genre that are more difficult to get into.  For example, you have a lot of people who enjoyed at least one of the Mass Effect games.  But you have plenty of people from that same group who wouldn't be able to get into an Elder Scrolls game.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By floodiastus

The problem with oblivion was the horrible animation and broken leveling system. Otherwise it was fine, but those things made it nearly unplayable.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By project343
@floodiastus: So if we're talking a lack of refinement, can you list an RPG that is perfectly refined and ready for mass consumption? I mean, this is my point.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Guys, I loved Oblivion but really couldn't get into Fallout. Yet I despise generic fantasy shit and have a boner for sci-fi.

WHAT DO I DO?
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project343 said:
" @ShadowofIntent: My problem with Morrowind was the dice-rolling disconnect between a physical hit, and a technical miss. Swing an axe at a dude's face and just watch as he doesn't even react or take damage. Stats, in this instance, represent far less of a dynamic element of your character, and more of a world-breaking contrivance that utterly distinguishes the game as a fictional, designed world."

You aren't playing a proper RPG without bashing your head against contrived game mechanics, silly. And either way, gameplay is not the most important aspect of a game like TES, and in the most important things, Oblivion falls far short of Morrowind (and the gameplay is still pretty terrible. Give up on Bethesda coming up with satisfying combat mechanics).

Anyway, I haven't played Divinity, but games like Morrowind and Oblivion aren't hard to get into because they are RPGs, but because they are sandbox games. The more sandbox a sandbox game, the less the game motivates the player in the traditional way. Traditionally, a game will give the player a clear set of defined goals. It's usually overwhelming when you are provided a big open world and told to "go have fun". A lot of gamers aren't used to that experience, they don't know how to make their own fun. I blame their parents. :|

Anyway, RPGs aren't really an acquired taste so much as they require the player to not expect instant gratification. Usually. Sometimes, as I said before, the appeal isn't in the gameplay at all. EverQuest was a terrible game, (and by extension, so are pretty much all derivative MMOs, including WoW), but man when I was a kid exploring that massive fantasy world, I loved every second.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project343 said:
" @floodiastus: So if we're talking a lack of refinement, can you list an RPG that is perfectly refined and ready for mass consumption? I mean, this is my point. "
Diablo.
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By floodiastus
@project343 said:
" @floodiastus: So if we're talking a lack of refinement, can you list an RPG that is perfectly refined and ready for mass consumption? I mean, this is my point. "
Mass Effect 2?
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Guys, I loved Oblivion but really couldn't get into Fallout. Yet I despise generic fantasy shit and have a boner for sci-fi.

WHAT DO I DO?
"
Fallout 3 was a terrible game compared to Oblivion. That's a fact.
Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ubik
@project343 said:

" @Ubik: Camera positioning coupled with the reticle (I mean, any third-person RPG with a reticle that dictates camera movement), the lack of control while jumping, the AI and their inability to outsmart player movement (think: jumping on top of a rock to blast melee enemies without retaliation), the incredibly low-grade voice acting coupled with piss-poor facial animations, the slightly-too-long delay on the dragon transformation, etc. etc.

They're all small things, and some of these blemishes are certainly 'charming,' but they do make the game incredibly clunky, janky, and unapproachable. It's like comparing Mass Effect 1's gunplay with Gears of War--the mechanics are all roughly the same, but the level of jank in Mass Effect is overwhelming.

I'll definitely agree with you about those weird two or three beats between when you press the key to transform into a dragon and when you actually do pop into your dragon form, but I genuinely enjoyed all the other aspects you seemed to hate.  That's cool--different strokes for different folks--but I was impressed with the way Divinty II handled some of the most annoying pitfalls of open world games.  Whenever I would get "stuck" in the world, for instance, the game would automatically pause and readjust my position instead of crashing or making me go back to a previous save in order to continue.  Also, I enjoyed the voice acting and the refreshing perspective it had of not taking itself too seriously.  

As for the first Mass Effect, you'll get no argument from me about its level of jank.  That game was a damn mess that I loved in spite of its many flaws. 
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By project343
@Bellum said:
" @project343 said:
Diablo. "
Diablo: my first experience was walking into a graveyard, looking for a character that I had to kill. It was a red hooded thing that took out most of my health in a single blow. I ended up beating it by kiting it while pinching off it's health bar. That was about 10 minutes of kiting. At no point was that fun. After realizing that every boss fight was like this, I quickly stopped playing.

I suppose I equate 'a lack of an acquired taste' with 'proper streamlining.'

@floodiastus said:
" @project343 said:
Mass Effect 2? "
This is the one example I could think of in my own head. And even then, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 swings far more into 'shooter with RPG elements.'

@Ubik said: 
I'll definitely agree with you about those weird two or three beats between when you press the key to transform into a dragon and when you actually do pop into your dragon form, but I genuinely enjoyed all the other aspects you seemed to hate.  That's cool--different strokes for different folks--but I was impressed with the way Divinty II handled some of the most annoying pitfalls of open world games.  Whenever I would get "stuck" in the world, for instance, the game would automatically pause and readjust my position instead of crashing or making me go back to a previous save in order to continue.  Also, I enjoyed the voice acting and the refreshing perspective it had of not taking itself too seriously.  

As for the first Mass Effect, you'll get no argument from me about its level of jank.  That game was a damn mess that I loved in spite of its many flaws. 
"
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love these things as well. I love a good janky game every now and then. But they are janky, and they are wonderful examples of why a large majority of this genre is horribly unapproachable.
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By floodiastus
@project343 said:

@floodiastus said:
" @project343 said:
Mass Effect 2? "
This is the one example I could think of in my own head. And even then, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 swings far more into 'shooter with RPG elements.' 
 I disagree completely, ME2 is more of an RPG than than most other RPGs to date, it focuses on the ROLE aspect of RPGs and not just numbercrunching that other RPGs do. It has to do with developing your character because of his actions and roleplaying his dialogue options.

Orlias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Orlias

I don't think they are an acquired taste. Though some RPGs might be, but that doesn't mean the genre is like that.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ChickenPants

As someone who grew up on RPGs and consider them my favourite genre I disagree. All those things that you mentioned are just second nature to me now. You should just appreciate the wide diversity of RPGs and not play one expecting the pick-up and play ease of an FPS. I enjoy exploring new systems and mechanics and seeing what the game enables me to do within their boundaries.

Also, forget about trying to min/max your character. Just pick skills/traits .etc that appeal to you and play the game the way you want to play. Don't be afraid of messing up your character.