Are We DESTOYING Video Games??

Snowfelhake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Snowfelhake

We as a community, play games and we recommend games and we talk about games to other people  
but when the time comes that we stumble upon a new type of game or a new genre all together.. 
we complain and we talk about as much negative things to do with that game as possible.

So I guess the question is should we as a community focus on those negatives as much as we do?

Maybe chuck a few positive points in there as well ?

Just to try and encourage that designer or programmer that went out on a limb to try new ideas, the question is are we destroying video games with our negativity?

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
@Snowfelhake:
Can you think of some example where designers have tried to innovate and then been shot down by people? What positives can you bring to those discussions?
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Most new IPs are pretty bad. Not all of them, but most.

Snowfelhake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Snowfelhake
@TheKeyboardDemon: 
Blacklight: Tango Down is a big one. . . i loved this game it is a budget multiplayer shooter.. . but i think that the game deserves a much bigger community then it currently has. . . . 
this game just feels unique overall but all the comments i have seen on it have been about how the gameplay was rubbish and the maps were few and poor.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By benjaebe

New IPs with new ideas will never get the kind of warm reception that established franchises and genres will get, but I think they'll always attract a core group of really big fans that allow developers to improve upon ideas. Mirror's Edge is a really good example - people either loved it or hated it, and if they ever make a sequel (I hope) then they'll have a chance to address people's issues with the first.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By tourgen

I don't think forum posts from gamers count for much.  The community is small and doesn't represent the game-buying public.  Anyway it shouldn't matter.  Speak your mind, be honest, and spend your cash wisely.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I like Blacklight too, I like the way they have added RPG style levelling, the way weapons can be upgraded and the way a team can literally rush their enemy spawn points and take control of that area until the enemy is able to turn the tables and wrestle for control of the other base. I find the game challenging and entertaining though it is occasionally frustrating. The HRV adds another tactical twist as well, but the last few days I have been having trouble getting online with this game as there's no one playing or the servers were down on 1 occasion.

Snowfelhake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Snowfelhake
@benjaebe: 
i loved mirrors edge. . . . especially when you got into a good run and knew exatcly what to do when... .. but there were some bad points too .. would definelty buy a sequel
frontman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By frontman12

Well, what is Blacklight: Tango Down doing that isn't being done by Black Ops, Bad Company 2, or Reach?  Not to say it's a bad game, I only tried the demo.  However, when you try to compete with the juggernauts that already are fighting over the competitive FPS audience, you need to bring something new, fresh, amazing, etc.  As far as new IPs, Alan Wake, Enslaved, Bayonetta were all fun, solid experiences, to name a few that came out last year.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Badhands

I think that if a game is truly good then even if it is a new IP it will get recognition and a good fan base. I will use borderlands as an example, the game was under most peoples radars until it came out then when it did it got huge. Why did it get huge even though it was a new IP with an abnormal play style? Simple, because it was good.  I am not saying that all good new IPs will get big but I think that is a game comes out and is good people will buy and play it.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By EuanDewar

You seem to misunderstand this business, cause negative feedback is how this shit works son.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm

Modern Warfare 2 destroyed modern gaming.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Simplexity

Just because you have an original idea does not make it a good one.

Innovation is all fine and good but at the end of the day it has to be fun.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Welcome to the gaming culture.  

I don't think we're destroying games. What is destroying games are bigger budgets that require bigger profits in order for a game to be viable. This cuts much of the innovation as each blockbuster needs a broad commercial appeal. 

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By floodiastus
@Snowfelhake said:
"  

We as a community, play games and we recommend games and we talk about games to other people  
but when the time comes that we stumble upon a new type of game or a new genre all together.. 
we complain and we talk about as much negative things to do with that game as possible.

So I guess the question is should we as a community focus on those negatives as much as we do?

Maybe chuck a few positive points in there as well ?

Just to try and encourage that designer or programmer that went out on a limb to try new ideas, the question is are we destroying video games with our negativity?

"
I dont think we are too negative at all. Magicka that just came out I was very positivt towards despite all the bugs, cuz it got a whole new idea it brings to the table. 

Games are getting bad because it is getting mainstream, most gamers share a love for sub-culture shit like zombies, futuristic weapons and rusty walls, that shit is gonna be long gone in a few years, only big ass explosions and voice overs from Colin Farrel will be left, heed my words. 
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fwylo
@Jeust said:
" Welcome to the gaming culture.   I don't think we're destroying games. What is destroying games are bigger budgets that require bigger profits in order for a game to be viable. This cuts much of the innovation as each blockbuster has to have a broad commercial appeal.  "
I like this answer.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117

If anything, I think it's easier now for small independent devs with new ideas to get their games out there. Full retail games are more about playing it safe, but the downloadable space has given us some amazing games.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By melcene

New IPs that don't work out because someone went out on a limb.  Huh, that's funny, I seem to recall new IPs that were a little different getting very high marks over the last few years.  Like Borderlands, for example.  Not only was it an RPG/Shooter mix that did well, but the artwork was completely different from what everyone's used to.  Demon's Souls.  Since when does the gaming community usually want a game that's HARD?  But this one did well.  Honestly, just sounds like you're kinda down because the particular games you like don't have much of a following.  Which is often the fault of the company's advertising, or lack thereof.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dabe

Critical analysis and introspective thought on games is what is missing. Instead of letting things slide, we should assess whether the impact of a certain mechanic has any relevance to the narrative or if it reinforces anything the game is trying to accomplish. Instead we feel the need to pour tons of effort into wantonly murdering artifices for nothing more than puerile entertainment... 

Basically, people like killing things in a virtual world. People also like to shut their brains off. The banality of modern big budget titles works with this ideal in synergy.
KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#20  Edited By KillyDarko

I'm always up for new IP's and I also tend to be really forgiving of their possible mistakes, as long as they deliver something fresh.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By haggis

So we're supposed to make video games better by not complaining when they suck? That seems backward to me. I think most gamers are honest about their opinions on boards, and that all that feedback is useful. For most games, for every detractor there is someone defending the game. It's hardly negative in an overwhelming way (unless a game is horribly broken). If developers actually read boards more often and with a careful eye, they'd be better off. Of course, I don't think they actually do much of that. But they should.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ch13696

I don't think it's just that. It's more of the fact that when something popular comes out then publishers tend to run that idea into the ground. Leading us to continuously talk crap on the IP. For example, the music genre. Ever since Guitar Hero came out. It was a great title until Activision bought Red Octane. 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Skald

Did you read the Josh Olin thing? Because that's his opinion as well. 

Personally, I don't buy into it. It's all about money these days.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beej
@Snowfelhake: If I might ask, what did blacklight tango down actually innovate? It seemed to be a relatively generic modern FPS with a few minor changes (digital grenades are kind of cool, but I don't think they count for everything)
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FritzDude

I would say kind of. We are to spoiled with our games these days. The standards for games are high, and games trying to be high looses with piss-poor support or even shutdown. People are afraid to buy unknown games because of the influence other people have, like review scores, and the "check-list" of components needed for a game, like Multiplayer. I guess you could say we are more cautious about our purchase, and that reflects to the whole industry. And because of this, new IP's dont sell, hence, new ideas dont sell. We buy games we are comfortable with, whether or not is a known company or a known game character or a designer, we are all leaning towards sequels.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hexx462
If anything we're seeing big budget $60 titles becoming much more stagnant as well as having the quantity of these release reduced. Whereas in the downloadable/indie space we're seeing a lot more risk being taken. I don't think discussion amongst gamers that tends to focus on negative aspects of games has any bearing on it whatsoever. In general comments on the internet steer towards the negative people that enjoy something tend not to have as much to say (since they're content) as rampant complainers do. Sales will always drive what is utimately released.  
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By penguindust

I don't know what I want.  I fear change and the unfamiliar.  At the same time, I'm am tired by re-runs in gaming.  I complain a lot about what's new and long for the "good ol' days"...except when a developer tries to "rip-off" something from my childhood.  I only like things other people like and I only buy games I've played before.  Developers need to listen to my opinions more, cater to my needs.  I just want something like that thing I played that was so awesome, but this time I want it to be different and with more stuff but also more intuitive but not dumbed down.  Oh and I may or may not want 3D and motion control, too.  Is that so much to ask?

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bwmcmaste
@tourgen said:
" I don't think forum posts from gamers count for much.  The community is small and doesn't represent the game-buying public.  Anyway it shouldn't matter.  Speak your mind, be honest, and spend your cash wisely. "

This represents my sentiments on this subject precisely.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

You don't seem to really find much negativity unless you're on comment boards. People in real life don't bitch nearly as much as random assholes on the internet. I don't take anything people say on the internet very seriously. And I encourage game programmers to do the same.  

Although to be honest, new IPs are constantly getting recognized and praised by journalists. So I don't even think you're correct to begin with. 

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TomA
@Napalm said:
" Modern Warfare 2 destroyed modern gaming. "
This.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

We're certainly not destroying games as a whole, but I do think people could be clearer about making the distinction between a bad game that didn't try to innovate and a bad game that tried to do something original.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 02sfraser

Games get positive feedback when it's deserved. A lot of budget and indie games become big hits because of communities talking about them and the ones that don't is probably because they're not very good.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I have to say that one of the reasons for all the repetitive game franchises is due to the fact that people are asking for the same thing over and over again. Then when the game is released and it's not "innovate" those same people complain.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By KarlPilkington

Wtf does "DESTOYING" mean?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@fwylo said:
" @Jeust said:
" Welcome to the gaming culture.   I don't think we're destroying games. What is destroying games are bigger budgets that require bigger profits in order for a game to be viable. This cuts much of the innovation as each blockbuster has to have a broad commercial appeal.  "
I like this answer. "
me toos
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By X19
@Snowfelhake said:
" @benjaebe:  i loved mirrors edge. . . . especially when you got into a good run and knew exatcly what to do when... .. but there were some bad points too .. would definelty buy a sequel "
Me too.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Romination

We're not. Good games (tend to) sell well and bad games (tend to) sell bad. 

There are exceptions, but whatever. It's an industry, and people will always do what you don't expect.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Claude

I played and loved Endless Ocean: Blue World, so I'm good.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Why is "destroying" in all caps? And why is it spelled wrong?

All very important questions.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iam3green

i don't think that a community forum harms the video game industry. i think that it would be journalist that are popular that can destroy the industry. they could say that the game sucks so nobody would buy it. i don't think reviewing it would destroy a game. i just think that we destroy games by saying the negatives because they stand out more than good if it's noticeable.