• 62 results
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Edited By isomeri

Poll Are you subject to a data cap? (475 votes)

No, I can use as much data as I want 41%
Yes, I have a data cap on my mobile device but not at home 26%
Yes, I have a data cap on my home internet but not on mobile devices 5%
Yes, both my mobile devices and home internet have data caps 26%
What's a data cap? (show the answers) 1%

The issue of data caps has been ongoing on international gaming forums and the press for years now. However the launch of the Xbox One X and domestication of 4K gaming has brought the issue to the forefront once again, due to the ensuing large game download sizes.

As a result, I became interested in how much of the GB community is effected by data caps. Are your connections capped, how drastically and how much do the caps effect your behavior?

As a northern European, I'm lucky enough to not have data caps on my home or mobile internet. As a result I don't really pay attention to how much data I use. The one exception is using mobile data while traveling inside the EU, in which case I only have 10 GB of free data per trip. But for the sake of this thread, let's constrict the issue of data caps to domestic restrictions only.

• 
clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

My mobile has a data cap, although I will likely never reach it, based on how I use my phone.

At one point, I had a 2 TB data cap, but I never managed to hit that either.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#52 fisk0  Moderator

I'm Swedish, I've got a 50 GB cap for my phone, and an unlimited 250mbps/10 line at home.

The phone connection didn't use to have a cap, but they added one two years ago as I had to get a new contract.

I pay about $60/month for the phone and $100 for the cable internet/tv bill.

BaronVonJace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My home internet is not capped but its slooooooow. For the CoD WWII patches on a regular PS4, it took almost five hours to download. Roommate tried blaming the PSN for slow speeds and that our home internet is fine. No 10 mbp/s is not fine.

If and when I get a PS4Pro, I dread the downloads for PS4Pro enhanced games...

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By McShank

Cell = 10gb between me and my mum "She paid for my phone for years, I pay for hers now" for LTE on Verizon for close to 130-140$ a month after tax.

Home = Unlimited Data *No slow down at any usage* at 1GB download speed for 80$ on Wave Cable. They also just upgraded a few months ago to the 3.1 DOCSIS so its the newest lines. Was on 1tb with comcast and went over the cap twice this year due to heavy usage. Happy comcast isnt available where I live now so I get unlimited with faster speeds for cheaper!

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

English.

No Cap on the internet, you'll be hard-pressed to find a data cap on any internet package from the major providers... it truly seems to be a primarily American net policy. However it's almost impossible to get unlimited data on phones in England (though the caps are starting to increase so I expect to see it as more popular option soon) I have 50GB on my new contract, previously the highest I could get was 20GB

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Thank god we don't have datacaps on home internet. Mobile however. :/

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@davequirky: The cable companies here effectively act as regional monopolies. There is little price competition, because in many places (cities and suburban areas, at least) the ISP you get can depend entirely upon which street you live on. Honestly I wonder why the big companies even bother to advertise, since so few people really have much choice. Every now and then a new local ISP pops up in an area, but they don't seem to be large enough to affect prices from the other big ISPs.

There's probably something that these companies do that prevent them from fitting the legal definition of "monopoly," but damn if it doesn't feel close to it.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Polish here. No cap on the Internet and almost no cap on phone (I get like 30GB a month + have a 1.4TB of bandwidth allowance I got as a gift from the cell company) for like 9 bucks a month.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By fnrslvr

In Australia. Not currently on the NBN, probably worth mentioning that since it's the hot debacle in Australian internet service provision and I'd be remiss not to note where I am with regard to it. I'm kinda of half a mind to actively resist the NBN for the time being, especially if the harebrained fixed wireless rollout plan they have for my area turns out to be accurate. (Would get mad attentuation in the bushland surounding my place, and we're very close to an FTTN rollout.)

I'm not fundamentally against data caps, but I'm totally against ISPs being assholes about the caps or enforcement of them, or things like selective throttling. Used well, caps can be used to make customers aware of the unnecessary strains they place on a network, such as by leaving Youtube on autoplay at HD quality in a back room for a month. ISPs can also mirror popular content locally and unmeter it, which prevents upstream congestion and lets customers use their metered data on more niche interests. Hopefully that reduces wastage, increases network reliability, and lowers prices. But my experience has been that metered data is rationed out, unmetered arrangements are inconsistent and to some extent cronyish and un-neutral and implicitly reinforce region-locking, and ISPs are unforgiving of data cap breaches due to technical misconfigurations or user mistakes.

EDIT: oh, my cap: 200GB; unmetered Netflix, Steam, and Xbox Live, among other services. It's generally okay in practice, but it has bitten me in the ass a few times, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bitter about it. The bigger issue I've experienced is that the old Telstra copper last-mile that connects my place to the exchange has broken down and needed servicing on something like an annual-to-biannual basis, each time requiring the usual several-week exchange with Telstra over whether the line is actually busted, getting the right service guy out to find the problem and fix it, etc. NBN shouldn't be using that shit.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm in Taiwan. I pay just over 30usd a month for broadband at home (100down,50up - no cap). My phone is with a different company and is the same price for a 6gb monthly limit. 4G lte with great reception, I don't use even half of that cap in a month though and a lot of the price is subsidising the handset which was free at purchase and I had nothing to pay at all for 12 months. I can't complain.

Dokaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually quite shocked at the amount of people under data caps on their home internet. It's not a thing here. I'm on 1000/1000 fiber with unlimited use, and I get those speeds 99% of the time.

Mobile is capped at 25gb, but it also includes free calls and costs $20 a month so it's not that bad.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

No cap at home. 2GB on phone, though the prices for going over are very cheap.

Best part about no longer living in the U.S. is not having to deal with Comcast or Verizon. Actual competition between carriers is great.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Comcast’s data cap and this might be my first month going over. I get close every month but this will probably be my first month over

billsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this is a problem for me. It is also unamerican as fuck. We need to start a 'gaming lobby' ... like the NRA for games.... a GRA... that fights for our rights with all the blood sucking politicians.