Asus G74SX-A1. Top of the Line gaming laptop?

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ulong

As title says, the Asus G74SX-A1 is a good laptop right? I want to get a pretty nice one that will last me for a while as far as getting games that come out later on and stuff.

So it's 2 Questions: 
Is Asus considered a good reliable brand in general?
also
The numbers all look impressive, but I'm actually kind of dumb when it comes to looking at computer specifications. I use computers at a completly good level, but looking at all the data for "this much ram, etc" all starts to make my head go blank for some reason. These are considered very good Top of the line or near top specifics for a gaming laptop to have right?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hunkulese

Asus is a great brand name. It's not really top of the line but it's a fantastic laptop for the price. If you want something significantly better you'll probably have to pay at least $1000 more. It's not bad by any means and is still a beast of a laptop it's just not top of the line.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ulong
@Hunkulese
Cool. thanks for the information.

This would totally run skyrim on high right? Just won't last as many years into the future as far as running upcoming games as a more expensive laptop would.
DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DonPixel

@Ulong: I just bought the ASUS Republic of Gamers G74SX-DH71 in Amazon because I have no room for my old workstation at my new place

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G74SX-DH71-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B005PAJI4Y

Asus is a good brand, they focus on performance>> convenience >>design and they also one of the biggest more reliable PC part manufacturers out there.

To begin with Skyrim is not to taxing, Most modern Video Card will run that game just fine, The Nvidia 560M is the best laptop card at the moment and should be a good to go for at least 3 to 4 years IMO, It runs battlefield 3 and The WItcher 2 in ultra no problem @laptop screen native resolution 1920x1080 1080p

Also try checking Tested.com forums, people there is very knowledgeable about this stuff as it is the site focus.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chummy8

This is the one that is currently sitting in my amazon shopping cart. Just waiting for money.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ulong
@DonPixel: you know what. I's really bad that I didn't even think to post in the tested forum right?  I should deffinatly have posted this there.

Is there any difference between t he G74sx-dh71 you linked and the a1 beyond 0.2ghz? The specifications look identical to me other then that 2ghz to 2.2ghz
DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DonPixel

@Ulong said:

@DonPixel: you know what. I's really bad that I didn't even think to post in the tested forum right? I should deffinatly have posted this there. Is there any difference between t he G74sx-dh71 you linked and the a1 beyond 0.2ghz? The specifications look identical to me other then that 2ghz to 2.2ghz

Yeah at that range of hardware .1 or .2 Mhz of difference doesn't seem much but they do increase the price. If you have some dollars to spare and want to make your laptop to kick ass (even more) I would recommend a SSD HD:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256GB-SSD-SATA-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320956752&sr=1-1

You can install a drive bay caddy instead of the optical drive and have an SSD for your system and frequent used applications&games and let the 1.5TB HD for everything else.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I have an ASUS Laptop for video games and its fantastic, plus all ASUS laptops come with a one year accidental damage warranty so if your roommate pee's on it or you drop it down the stairs and it breaks you are not out over $1000. I would also like to add that the slight increase in processor speed is irrelevant as the i7 in my laptop overclocks itself to 2.9GHz automatically when it realizes it needs more speed via TurboBoost.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ulong
@DarkGamerOO7 said:

I have an ASUS Laptop for video games and its fantastic, plus all ASUS laptops come with a one year accidental damage warranty so if your roommate pee's on it or you drop it down the stairs and it breaks you are not out over $1000. I would also like to add that the slight increase in processor speed is irrelevant as the i7 in my laptop overclocks itself to 2.9GHz automatically when it realizes it needs more speed via TurboBoost.

Relevant to my concerns. good to hear.
McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By McShank

@Ulong: Asus and Toshiba Qosmio's are the 2 better brands out there that dont charge you purely on their name. I have a i5 Qosmio that is a year old and cost me a little over 1000$ after shipping and tax and I can play witcher 2 on high. Friend just bought an Asus and he is running the same game but on settings even higher then mine and still has 25-30fps+ in fights. And from the specs, your laptop is almost double in power compared to mine and should run anything on high for a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've never understood how you're supposed to use a gaming laptop. On the all the laptops I've ever used at least, the keyboards are incredibly cramped and lack the textile clickiness and the reassuring tlck you'd want from a keyboard, especially when playing a game. Also, what scenario's would you use one for? Would you use it on the plane? You'd be better just bolting wheels onto your case.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By monetarydread

Don't buy a gaming laptop! 

It's a great idea in theory, but the components suck down too much power to be truly portable.  In my experience, what is the point of having a massively underpowered pc (that GTX 560m is nowhere near as fast as its desktop counterpart) for twice the price, that still has to be plugged into a wall to be used properly. 

Edit:  As far a laptops go.  Asus is a reliable brand and the specs are pretty good for a laptop.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@DarkGamerOO7 said:

However for prospective ASUS laptop buyers, make sure you register it in 30 days though in order to "activate" your warranty. Not that you would actually think to do this from any of the ads or packaging save for a slightly more than wallet sized warranty card. I nearly got burned by this.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By ch3burashka

Skip the laptop; buy a desktop.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By benpicko
@MonetaryDread

It's a great idea in theory, but the components suck down too much power to be truly portable.  In my experience, what is the point of having a massively underpowered pc (that GTX 560m is nowhere near as fast as its desktop counterpart) for twice the price, that still has to be plugged into a wall to be used properly. 

Edit:  As far a laptops go.  Asus is a reliable brand and the specs are pretty good for a laptop.
Yep. Listen to this guy.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

Buy/build desktop, purchase cheap laptop for portable needs.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Ulong
I'm using a 1-1.5 year old G71 and it runs Skyrim on high with some settings on Ultra at well over 30fps.

@chrismafuchris said:

I've never understood how you're supposed to use a gaming laptop. On the all the laptops I've ever used at least, the keyboards are incredibly cramped and lack the textile clickiness and the reassuring tlck you'd want from a keyboard, especially when playing a game. Also, what scenario's would you use one for? Would you use it on the plane? You'd be better just bolting wheels onto your case.

Plenty of uses.
You can be traveling a lot, and always want to have a gaming machine on hand, in a hotel or otherwise. It's basically a portable gamin rig you can comforably fit in a backpack.
The portability also has great uses even just at home. You can very very easily play at a adesk and when you feel like it play on the bed, or carry a laptop to the living room and connect it to the huge TV in a couple of mins. It's super convinient.

Hell no you don't use a gaming laptop on a plane. They are huge (if you are using a 17inch one) andthey guzzle battery like no tomorrow.

@benpicko said:
@MonetaryDread

Yep. Listen to this guy.
It all depends entirely on your needs.
Yes they use a lot of power so if you are playing you need to be connected.
Yes they are way more expensive then equivalent desktop systems.

But if you want a system that can max beautifull games that you can carry around wherever you need it, gaming laptops are great. And if you don't have issues with money.

@DystopiaX
Only if your needs are not playing great games in many different places.
Appuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Appuh

Ulong, be sure to check out this MSI as well: http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT780DX.html

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By amomjc

That is a really nice laptop, always pains me to see laptops jumping over my desktop :P

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Looks nice, but I have no idea why anyone would need 12g of ram

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowshi

You use a gaming laptop, because you don't have room/desire for a desktop. It's pretty fucking obvious, really.