Aussiepowa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Aussiepowa

Hey GB community, 
As some of you may be aware aussie game prices are out of control and have been for some time .... Eb Games (Gamestop) have saturated the market and have very little competition, the average price we pay here starts at $100 and for some titles for example Halo Reach can climb to $120 
Today , with Medal Of Honor being released soon and money a little tight im thinkin okay i'll trade Reach only to find that the $120 game i purchased 4 weeks ago is worth $48 trade value so ok...... i look around at the pre-owned section there is Reach for $112 ...... 112- 48 = 64 im like whooo yeeee thats one expensive yellow sticker so.... 
ok so we know the deal with Gamespot , but they have a AUS forum section plus they have teamed up with Eb Games so i figured that my voice would be heard the loudest there.. 
So if anyone would like to help and add there 2 cents i would be grateful here is the link 
http://au.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26276805&page=3 
Anyway GB rules the world and cant wait to finish my business relocation so i can justify to the missus my GB membership ... 
XBLA - AUSSIEPOWA 
Twitter - aussiepowa  
Thx.. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

I...don't think this is going to help. But yes, that is an insane rip off. preowned is evil.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Bones8677

If it's any consolation, us Americans would like to express our displeasure that our Aussie brothers and sisters pay so much more for their entertainment than we do. It also smacks the face that your internet is so piss poor too. Keep the fight alive.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MisterChief

Gamestop haven't teamed up with EB. They own them.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eric_buck
@Aussiepowa: I moved to Aus last year and was horrified. I buy all my games online for normal prices though.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shirogane
@MisterChief said:
"Gamestop haven't teamed up with EB. They own them. "

I believe you're getting GameStop and GameSpot mixed up.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterChief
@Shirogane said:
" @MisterChief said:
"Gamestop haven't teamed up with EB. They own them. "

I believe you're getting GameStop and GameSpot mixed up. "
Yeah. Those two are pretty easy to mix up.
Aussiepowa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aussiepowa
@Bones8677:
.. you know normally i dont blink a eyelid and hand over whateva $$ it takes cause gaming is my passion.. its what i love to do but things being a bit tight with me at the moment it really made me go "hold up this aint right .. and how many aussie gamers does this affect on a regular basis " so for what its worth i thought  i'd add 1 more voice to the cause .. thx for the support
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

We've been so close to parity with the US for ages that Aussie game price are basically a crime. 

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Hourai

$120? Dear god...

Onced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onced

The prices are nuts. Even with the text bolded, italicised and underlined I can't exemplify it enough. It's fortunate that Steam has acceptable prices on most of its games. MW2 priced at eighty-nine US dollars nearly a year after the release is a pretty big exception though. I don't mind laying out the odd one-hundred dollars for a high quality game, but when it's censored to hell and back (L4D2, my eyes are straight on you) due to our archaic rating laws, I get irritated. With most campaigns clocking in at around five or so hours nowadays, it becomes a microscopic inspection to justify the purchase. 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By EVO

It's not just games; We're getting ripped of for pretty much everything. Just shop online, or if you have a store nearby, JB Hi-Fi and Game usually have some pretty good deals. EB can suck a dick.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mrfizzy
@Aussiepowa: hey, im also an aussie and yeah our prices suck but if your actually paying $120 a game you are getting ripped off, if you need a game the day its released JB hifi usually has them for about 70-80 and then they chuck the price up in the next 2-3 days. If your after some older games then i recommend shopping online, esspecially from the UK. www.thehut.com is good. i got Dragon Age: Origins off them the other day for 11 pounds ($21), if id got it at retail here it would have been $64. 
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I've taken to buying stuff on steam since it's so much cheaper 
also I never buy anything from EB anymore, I always go to JB HiFi and that tends to be a fair bit cheaper
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lemoncookie01

100for a new game?that fucking sucks.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Grimace

Oh come on man, don't be silly. 

Any new release game can be found at a good price if you look beyond EB, GAME and the like.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cramsy

Only reason I buy games here is because I get 25% staff discount at GAME. Otherwise I just shop online. Fuck our prices. Complete bullshit.

Aussiepowa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aussiepowa

@mrfizzy: Thx i'll check out www.thehut.com as ill be importing from now on purely on principal ... where as i have done before for example Ghostbusters(late release in AUS) and L4D2(cencored in AUS)

@Grimace:
  Yes that is true that is why i'll be importing from now on ... But ive always out of  convenience shoped at Eb cause there are 3 within 15 min of each other and apart from JB HiFi which can have resonable prices normally around $89 but for instance Medal of Honor Tier 1 will be $109 ... but you know it still would be nice to walk into your local retail store and pick up a game and not feel ripped off

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Red12b

You think you have it bad, NZ is worse...

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eric_buck
@Aussiepowa: Try ozgamesshop.com. They're super cheap.
Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sidekick-Trio

Edit: Eric_Buck beat me to it. Another vote for  http://www.ozgameshop.com It's a British site but it's all in Australian prices. I've preordered Fallout: New Vegas for $58 and Fable 3 for $61 from them.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm from the UK, and while prices here aren't as high as in Australia, we generally pay a good amount more than the US, but Aussies & Europeans aren't getting a hugely bad deal. When you compare prices directly, sure, it looks like a bad deal, BUT there are other factors to take into account. The average wage in America is pitifully low compared to virtually every other country in the developed world. I don't have the exact facts and figures for wages in Australia, but I can guarantee the average wage is a lot more than in the US. And when I'm buying a game (or anything), I really don't care about currency exchange rates and whether or not it would be cheaper in another country, I care about the price of the game relative to the amount of money I have to spend. While sure, I am paying more for a game, I have more money to spend. And the extra money I pay will go towards paying all the people involved in getting the game to me (from store assistants to delivery drivers to production operatives) a half-decent wage.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@MattyFTM:   The average UK wage is higher (as is your cost of living, which your wages are scaled towards, so you don't actually have more money to spend), but that isn't the same in Australia.  We're essentially on par with the US with the averaged exchange rate and cost of living factorred in.  Australia just pays more for game at retail because RRP is arbitrarily set higher here based on old habits of high import tariffs in '80s when we were at the mercy of distance, before the rise of the Internet and Globalisation.  What generally happens here is that retailers will discount heavily within a couple of weeks of release because game shelf life is actually really short here. 

As you can see here the US actually has a higher median household income than both the UK and Australia.  We earn less than you do, per capita, but our cost of living is much cheaper than yours.  This is why we periodically rate well in terms 'livability'.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By metal_mills
 http://www.gamecafe.com.au/default.aspx

Lists places to buy games from cheapest to most expensive(guess which is normally the highest?). Just use that. I normally buy games off Zavvi or 365games. Cheap and little to no shipping. You can buy MoH for $62. Buy that and sell Halo: Reach for about $80 on Ebay.
Aussiepowa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aussiepowa
@Ferros:   &  @Eric_Buck:   & @Metal_Mills: 
    Thx guys i'll check em out