Back to the days of bullet hell games?

Bahamut_Mega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bahamut_Mega

When did this happen? I just logged on to the PSN and looked at the new games. And I saw 4 or 5 "bullet Hell" games. Bullet hell games from Japan have been more of less dead for the past 10+ years. Because of this I myself haven't played one of these games in so many years. I remember a long time ago I had some skill that this style of game play. ( Not saying I was grate but I could hold my own ). So with these games coming back into play does anyone think that we as gamers will be able to enjoy them again, to the same level that we did in days gone by? And how long will it take for someone to get good / ok at this type of gameplay again?  

An even better question with this style of game play coming back will we be seeing games like Star Fox 64 and Panzer Dragoon coming back into play? If so SIGN ME UP!!! 

Please let me know what you guys think - Thanks :)
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Mrnitropb

I would much rather have another Ace Combat of Hawx, than a bullet hell game. They bug me, and truthfully i suck at them. ut arcadey flight game? Can't get enough.

Bahamut_Mega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bahamut_Mega

hmmmm..... I'm not sure if that's really on topic. But yes their haven't been a large number of Ace Combat games in a number of years ether.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur

What is a "Bullet Hell" game, like a "Schmup?"

Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Food

bullet hell games are actually kind of recent.  you probably mean shmup.  bullet hell refers to a specific type of shmup where the focus is on dodging the insane amount of bullets that the game throws at you.  like this:

but yeah shmups are sort of making a comeback.  I think it's because of the rise of digital distribution.  this type of game is easy for a small team to make and appeals to a specific niche audience which makes them a good choice for psn or xbox live.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria
@mylifeforAiur: 
Bullet Hell is an extreme version of shmups. Example here... though it is played on the hardest difficulty so it's usually not this hard.

@Bahamut_Mega:  Starfox and Panzer Dragoon aren't bullet hell games. They are rail shooters. If you want one of those you're in luck. The Wii has both Sin and Punishment games (First one is on Virtual Console). Child of Eden is pretty much a tripped out version of that. And it seems that Kid Icarus might have those elements as well.

And there aren't really any Bullet Hell games on PSN. The Gundemonium collection from what I know are just regular Japanese indie-shmups.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The last Shoot 'em Up I played was Genetos. That was a long time ago.

gill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gill

The mere fact that people can successfully play the stuff in those videos scares and confounds me to no end.

Bahamut_Mega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bahamut_Mega

First off I know that Star Fox 64 and Panzer Dragoon aren't bullet hell games. they are rail shooters. What I was thinking was if bullet hell games are making a comeback do you think that we may see some new light strategy rail shooters like the games above. And after 10 years of not seeing bullet hell ( Shmups ) can they really make a comeback in the hearts of gamers? 

EDIT : I've only heard the term "shmups" once, before tonight :)