Baldur's Gate or Diablo 2?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

Really want to play both these games but I assume I only have enough time for one of them before Dragon Age 2 comes out. Really torn about which one to play first. Ideally the shorter/easier one, though they both look great..

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

Diablo 2 much much much much much much much much shorter than Baldur's Gate. 

Also it's more actiony and easy to get into from the start.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FourWude

story / characters - bg2

loot /combat - the devil 2

bg2 is longer and deeper. diablo 2 is more action focused and repetitively addictive.

ThornBlackstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThornBlackstar
@bigmuffpi: Baldurs gate will take you a while to get into, and Diablo 2 is the kinda game were u will eather not be to bothered playing it after an hour or you will be sucked down the rabbit hole, and there quite diffrent games, isometeric and rpg are really the only connection, But tbh, get both, start Diablo 2, but there both worth having
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Diablo 2 is both shorter and easier. It's also a totally different game from BG. If you want to get in the mood for DA 2, play Baldur's Gate, considering that the first Dragon Age was a deliberate throwback to Baldur's Gate and its sequel. You might want to install some mods or something to make the experience easier for you if you go that route. A widescreen patch is a must, and the TC mod that makes it run on the Baldur's Gate 2 version of the engine is also recommended.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Undeadpool

I assume you mean Baldur's Gate 2, and you need to realize you're asking about two VERY different games. The fantasy trappings are really all they have in common. 
If you want a much more involved storyline and characters that will probably take you ~40-60 hours (depending on if you have the Throne of Bhaal expansion), go with Baldur's Gate. 
If you want a way more combat-heavy and loot lusty kind of game that will probably take you around 20-30 hours (depending, once again, on an expansion with the word Baal in it), go with Diablo 2. 
Also: how weird is it that both games have Baal/Bhaal in their expansion title?

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Aronman789

As I said about 2-4 minutes ago on somewhere else, isometric view makes my eyes puke, so I'd go with the one where I at least get to see lots of pixelated gore. 

Also go bard, THE BEAR HAS ABS.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By animateria

Problem (?) with Baldur's Gate is that it uses the older Dungeons and Dragons rule set (2nd Edition), and has a lot of stats that can be confusing.  

Anyways even compared to Dragon Age, I think Baldur's Gate 2 has the better character interaction and story. DAO disappointed me enough for me to quit after a while.  

Combat is only a small part of those CRPGs after all.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Baldur's Gate is more like DA than Diablo is.

But it's not an easy game to get into.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

Diablo 2 will be pretty easy to beat in a month.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By melcene

Yeah as already said, if you're looking for shorter/easier, Diablo 2 is your bet.  But definitely get back to Baldur's Gate at some point.  Though if you ARE talking Baldurs Gate 2 (and not the original), I'd say BG2 is easier/shorter than BG1 was.  At least that's my recollection.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By RainVillain

Thanks for all the tips y'all. Going to start with Diablo 2. Sounds like BG (1 and 2, btw) are going to need a LOT of time. I'll deal with those when I'm done with DA2 or something. 

I bought Diablo 2 + expansion on Blizzard's site and have installed them on my mac and it's running well (phew!). Any tips or things I should know before diving into Diablo 2? I tried to get Diablo 1 running but couldn't find it, not to mention my mac doesn't support classic environment (which I assume Diablo 1 needs).  
Any sortof of plot points I should know going into D2? I honestly know nothing about the game except that it plays like Torchlight. xD

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By animateria
@bigmuffpi said:
" Thanks for all the tips y'all. Going to start with Diablo 2. Sounds like BG (1 and 2, btw) are going to need a LOT of time. I'll deal with those when I'm done with DA2 or something.  I bought Diablo 2 + expansion on Blizzard's site and have installed them on my mac and it's running well (phew!). Any tips or things I should know before diving into Diablo 2? I tried to get Diablo 1 running but couldn't find it, not to mention my mac doesn't support classic environment (which I assume Diablo 1 needs).  Any sortof of plot points I should know going into D2? I honestly know nothing about the game except that it plays like Torchlight. xD "
You should know there aren't any respec options so chose a skill and you are stuck with that choice. 

Unless you're playing singleplayer offline... Then you can just download a save editor. Though get used to that too much and you might abuse it's power. 

Otherwise it's a straight forward game with more loot than you can ever imagine. 
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By fwylo

Diablow

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Diablo 2

Pixel_Kaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hafnalas: Not only is all of this incredibly wrong but also yo, I think this conversation had it's day.

Lionsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 2 for LAN play!

Baldurs Gate 2 is the best single player RPG ever made, though.