citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane

Hello, my fellow duders!

I am in the market for a new TV for gaming (long story short - my previous TV got into an accident while I was away).

My previous TV was 50", and I found that to be my ideal size. The viewing distance will beI don't want to break the bank, so looking in the up-to-$800 range. The two that I have looked at most recently are the Vizion E50 and Samsung UN50J6200.

What would your suggestions be, Giant Bomb?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm currently looking as well with pretty much the same size and price preference, and debating between the 50 inch or larger Vizio or the 50inch of the 4k M series. The difference in picture quality is supposedly worth the price increase even if you're not viewing 4k content, and I guess it's more future proof in case 4k matters in few years. I'm still not sure if it would be better to put the extra toward a larger E series model or what the big November deals will look like so I'm holding off for now.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alanm26v5: I was looking at the Vizio M series, but I've heard that the input lag isn't good on them in terms of gaming. Then again, I don't know if it's enough to notice a difference between the E and M models.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Friend has a Vizio and the input latency was god awful.

Check out Rtings.com for great reviews and in depth specs. That's what I used when I was shopping around and it made the process a lot easier for someone that is very very indecisive.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow said:

Friend has a Vizio and the input latency was god awful.

Not all Vizios are created equal - just like how there is a broad range of quality and features across the product line of Sony and Samsung TVs. I admit I don't have experience with every single Vizio out there, I'm sure there are some models that have unacceptable levels of input lag. I've never owned one, though.

I currently have two Vizio TVs, I used to have three but I sold one. There is no perciptlbe input lag on any of these Vizios, and I am very sensitive to things like that. For a long time, a Vizio was my primary gaming display, and I still use my XVT-553SV (55") hooked up to my living room PC for gaming. I find them to be fantastic, affordable displays. The bigger one is the E65-C3, and the input lag on that one is ultra low on that one as well. Picture quality on both is incredible, and friends who own other, more expensive TVs are regularly commenting about how good they think the picture quality looks. The black levels are amazing for an LCD, the full-array LED backlighting really helps here and in my opinion looks so much better than edge-lit LCDs. Sound quality is decent as well, and of course they both have built-in Netflix and Hulu apps if you use those services, but personally I still use a Roku 3. The other Vizio I owned was an M32-SL something, a 32" 1080p 120hz model. No noticeable input lag on that TV either, and I used it almost exclusively for PC gaming.

I highly recommend Vizio, especially if you get it from somewhere that has a generous return policy. That way you can try it out in-home and always return it if you aren't satisfied for some reason. If I was in the market for another display, I would look to Vizio first and most likely end up buying another one, they are that good. But don't take my word for it, I'm sure if you look at the online reviews overall for the model you're interested in, you'll find a lot of the same sentiments.

@citizenkane I recommend taking a look at Costco if you're a member. They have some good deals on Vizios, and at least for the Costco locations around here, they usually carry at least six or eight different models at any given time. Otherwise, Amazon might be your best bet. I think Costco still enjoys the best pricing on Vizios, because that is where Vizio originally got their start in retail years ago. Costco also used to carry Vizio models that weren't sold anywhere else, so keep an eye out for that.

Anyway...VIZIO! Highly recommended, buy one! Although of course, if you find a deal on a Samsung or Sony and can get the same features and picture quality for less money, I wouldn't ignore something like that.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: My previous TV was a Vizio M50 I got last year and loved it. My parents also have 2 Vizios.

Would you suggest the E50 or M50 model? Both are in my price range.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@citizenkane: I think the current M50 is a 4k model? If so, I'm afraid I can't help you on that one. I'm not sure how Vizio's new 4k displays are, or what they are like for gaming. Especially if you are going to be outputting a lower resolution.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mike: Oh of course, I was just adding an anecdote to the discourse. That's why I included the rtings website; so he could compare all of the models he is considering.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Here's the original article that made me even consider a 4K as an option.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-500-tv/
If I had to pick one right now, I'd probably go with the 50 inch M, which would hopefully last me several years. I also noticed there's an additional discount for Amazon Prime members on most of the VIzios. Still, I'm going to wait until next month personally in case the prices go lower.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Low latancy is essential for gaming. I like SONY, they have models with low latancy but keep in mind that not all models have the same latancy. The only good site I know that tests latency is hdtvtest.co.uk but keep in mind they are UK models.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up getting the Vizio E55. You are right, @mike, the picture is gorgeous on this TV, especially after I tweaked the calibration settings.