Best version of Snake Eater to play

thebignasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

I'm finally getting around to playing MGS3 (I know, I'm late to the game), but I'm having trouble deciding how to play it. I have subsistence, and I recently got a 3DS, so for those that have played both, which is the better version in your opinion? I'd also be willing to consider picking up the HD collection if people think it's worth the $30 due to the enhancements and the fact that it also has Peace Walker.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

You should play MGS 2 because that's a better game.

(But seriously, I would go for the HD collection, especially if you haven't played Peace Walker. I don't really know much about the 3DS version but I can't imagine that would ideal.)

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

ps3/360

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

HD Collection. Looks great, runs in 60fps and comes with a bunch of (though not all) extras from Subsistence. The 3DS version is not very good from what I've seen.

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By espm400

I played the original PS2 release and the Xbox HD collection, and would seriously recommend the HD collection, if only for the camera improvements. I would also strongly urge against the 3DS version, but that may be because I dislike hand-held ports of full console release games.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The HD Collection version. It's fantastic.

thebignasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Okay, got it. I guess HD collection it is. Just curious, does it matter between PS3 and 360? It looks like the 360 version is easier to find these days, but I can probably find a PS3 version if it turns out to be much better.

@milkman I prolly should've mentioned that I did already play MGS and MGS2 back in the day.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

The 3DS version is pretty good (says the guy who hasn't played the HD Collection).

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have the 360 HD collection and it's great. You wont be disappointed with that version. Im sure the PS3 HD collection is about the same.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I haven't played the HD version yet (playing peace walker HD right now), but im sure it has less jaggies and better looking overall then the PS2 version, and since it was designed with a PS2 controller in mind i don't see playing it on the 3DS any fun. And i think the HD versions are more or less the same performance wise on either system, so i would try and find out how many people are still playing online on peace walker, i can normally find 100-200 people on the PS3 version.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Subsistence has the third person moveable camera, so that should be fine.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd say go with the PS2 subsistance version. With the recent HD re-releases they removed the Guy Savage minigame, the 3ds release is interesting to see just to show off the 3DS technical power. But I do think subsistance should be played because then you can play the emulation of Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake and see where all the references they keep making in all the games.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

I'd say go with the PS2 subsistance version. With the recent HD re-releases they removed the Guy Savage minigame, the 3ds release is interesting to see just to show off the 3DS technical power. But I do think subsistance should be played because then you can play the emulation of Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake and see where all the references they keep making in all the games.

Metal Gear 1 and 2 are in the HD Version. Its essentially just Subsistence without the minigames and online

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By bgdiner

Yep, the HD version is your best bet. Wasn't terribly enthralled with Peace Walker (bring on the hate, I'm ready), but MGS2 and 3 are fabulous.

I need scissors! 61!

BulimicBalzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Jeff Gerstman hate MGS3 for any other reason then tedious menu stuff?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By crithon

@crithon said:

Metal Gear 1 and 2 are in the HD Version. Its essentially just Subsistence without the minigames and online

Yes, I meant to imply HD version when I said "Subsistance."

I'm also reminded, 3DS version lacks Ape vs Monkey which is an excellent way to learn how to play the game. I admit I enjoy the Peace Walker controls onto MGS3 for the 3DS.

FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, got it. I guess HD collection it is. Just curious, does it matter between PS3 and 360? It looks like the 360 version is easier to find these days, but I can probably find a PS3 version if it turns out to be much better.

@milkman I prolly should've mentioned that I did already play MGS and MGS2 back in the day.

The PS3 version keeps the design from the PS2 controller. Which had/has pressure sensitive buttons for things like how tightly you're using the gun trigger. The 360 controller can't do that so they had to come up with a different scheme for a lot of inputs. I think that's the big difference between the two versions.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

Track down the original PS2 release before the re-released it as Subsistence with the updated camera controls. Then you can know how we struggled.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@cheh said:

@thebignasty said:

The PS3 version keeps the design from the PS2 controller. Which had/has pressure sensitive buttons for things like how tightly you're using the gun trigger. The 360 controller can't do that so they had to come up with a different scheme for a lot of inputs. I think that's the big difference between the two versions.

The pressure sensitive buttons suck. If the 360 version has a better control setup I'd go with that, unless you want the authentic experience in which case go for the PS3 version. I don't know what the 360 setup is so it may be no better or worse. The PS3 version looked and ran great. I'd recommend that version. If you have a PS3 I believe you can buy the game individually on PSN so you might do that if you don't want 2 and Peace Walker.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I played through it for the first time on Vita and it was a fine experience so I would assume the console HD collection would be as well. I played the 3DS demo and was not impressed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@bgdiner said:

Yep, the HD version is your best bet. Wasn't terribly enthralled with Peace Walker (bring on the hate, I'm ready)

I'm with you on Peace Walker. All of the base management stuff is really neat, but the actual 'stealth' gameplay is super shallow and watered down from what the series is known for; even the original MGS had more depth to its gameplay than Peace Walker. If anything the game presents itself more as a shooter, given the frequency of boss battles, but it's not an especially satisfying shooter either. The way enemies react (as in barely at all) to being shot makes the weapons feel weak, and the actual boss battles themselves can go on for what feels like forever. I suppose you're meant to face the APCs/Tanks/Helicopters ect. with a posse, but they should have scaled the bosses for the sake of playing it solo all the same.

Also, must I really have to keep beating my volunteers in CQC so as to actually recruit them?? They don't even fight back, so the entire mechanic just feels pointless and would have been better served if they'd just join you from the get-go.