BEWARE!! SonicMania PC has Denuvo. DRM that reportedly breaks computers.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I was looking forward to this game, but now I'm not getting it. Nothing pisses me off more than some software breaking my hardware. Updates infuriate me to no end. So I'd rather miss out on what seems to be a pretty good game, then risk my computer. Or worse, something going wrong with my computer coincidentally, and my having to suspect Denuvo of causing it. I spent hundreds fixing my computer after a download of the Spelunky Metroid Mod, and I now only download from Steam. Apparently I have to be wary of Steam downloads, as well. This just sucks!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The whole Denuvo breaking computers thing is a lie made up by pirates. the whole dumb. It destroys your SSD was false. So i am guessing Denuvo didn't break your pc and something else happened.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have several games that use Denuvo and my pc is fine. The only major difference is that whenever I listen to music on Youtube, my motherboard swears at me in Latin.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Efesell

If you have played a PC game in the last few years you've played one with Denuvo and it presumably hasn't broken your computer so it's probably okay.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OurSin_360

This denuvo outrage is one of the craziest things ive seen. All the games with denuvo work fine for me, honestly steam itself is more intrusive. Seems like pirates are mad because it does what its supposed to do by making their life harder and not mine.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it's only been I think in the last few months that it has become even reasonable to see a Denuvo game cracked so it made certain people hilariously angry as you might imagine.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

I'd like more information on the harmful effects of this DRM because I still don't buy it ("it" being that it is harmful). I've run Denuvo games on new to old SSDs ranging from 120GB, to 250 and now a new 500GB SSD without issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Considering the sheer volume of games that use it and the sheer volume of people who play these games without their computer bursting into flames I think this is an unreasonable assumption, As it's a pretty unintrusive form of DRM those againt DRM need to come up with something to make enemies of it and I'm 99% sure 'Denuvo blows up ur SSD' is a rumour designed to cause these sort of threads to start hysteria. It's probably just coincidence

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played quite a lot of games with it and my SSD is just fine.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By mike

If there isn't anything to substantiate this, the topic should probably just be closed. Anyone?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

@mike: Sega commented on how there is Denuvo in Sonic Mania, and apologized for how it originally wasn't listed on the Steam page. I don't know about how/if Denuvo "breaks computers", but the game does have DRM.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike

@clagnaught: Yeah I was specifically referring to the "breaks computers" part, which is essentially what the entire topic is about. If that is nothing but a rumor, which I think it is, there probably isn't a compelling reason to keep the thread open. I'm not sure though, I haven't paid any attention to Denuvo since it came out and people realized it wasn't melting SSD's after all.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I've had with Denuvo is increased initial load times, specifically for Dishonored 2.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jesus Christ, this thread feels like it's 2009 again.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so they did actually delay the release on PC to add DRM? Jesus, I thought people were joking.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol this is dumb. Give me denuvo over the shitty DRM software from 10 years ago.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dryker said:

I spent hundreds fixing my computer after a download of the Spelunky Metroid Mod, and I now only download from Steam.

If true, this sounds more like the mod did your computer in than Denuvo did

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@mike: From my limited knowledge of how Denuvo works, I can't possibly see a way it could ever have melted any SSDs. Seems like unsubstantiated rumours spread by the "remove denuvo so I can pirate your game plz" crowd.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Only thing i ever heard is something about it writing and rewriting data over and over which pirates claim will damage your ssD or something, and people blaming it for bad pc ports like Arkham knight etc or just causing performance issues. Personally i think it's pirates trying to rally the troops to make it easier to pirate again, but maybe i'm wrong?

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mike said:

@clagnaught: Yeah I was specifically referring to the "breaks computers" part, which is essentially what the entire topic is about. If that is nothing but a rumor, which I think it is, there probably isn't a compelling reason to keep the thread open. I'm not sure though, I haven't paid any attention to Denuvo since it came out and people realized it wasn't melting SSD's after all.

It is 100% nothing but a rumor. It's based on a misunderstanding of how the DRM works. People thought, for some reason, it was encrypting and decrypting files on the fly, which would cause extra drive writes. Even if that was true, most people would never wear out the write cycles on their SSDs. Of course, that's not even how the DRM works, according to Denuvo, so there's no chance it will wear out your SSD. Denuvo sucks, just like every ineffective copy-protection, but it doesn't break your computer.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Did Jeff's director's cut video make OP think this was actually a torrent site?

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Denuvo was cracked anyway, but then again I hate DRM because of all those trash DRMs in the mid 2000s like SecuROM, StarForce, Tages, and Safedisc that actually did mess up performance, ruin Windows registries, and prevent legit copies from working.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the steam forums, Denuvo is the cause of both cancer and AIDS. Just a heads-up.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am Just glad developers dont use starforce anymore.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@crimsonjesus: Denuvo can't simply be cracked once and then it's a free for all, it has to be cracked for each individual game and even then the game may not work 100% like a copy you've paid for. I think certain devs are typically against it but publishers are all for it. There was the case of Rime recently where people were complaining about shit performance in the game because of Denuvo and the Dev basically said "crack our game and we'll remove it" and that happened shortly after.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Denuvo does no such thing. stop spreading lies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: And RiME still performs like shit on PC, so I guess it had nothing to do with Denuvo.
I have never heard of this stuff about Denuvo but it sounds silly and not true.

EDIT: Jesus Christ the store page reviews for Sonic Mania are insane. People claiming they feel "violated" by this "malware". This is like some tinfoil hat shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, my anti-virus just forcibly removed sonicmania.exe because it detected it as a "security risk". That has never happened with any Steam game for me before. Maybe Denuvo is kind of shit after all? I've had Sonic Mania installed since yesterday and suddenly my anti-virus software was not happy with whatever it was doing apparently.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mike

@boonsong: In all likelihood this has nothing whatsoever to do with Denuvo. There are countless other Denuvo games that have never triggered anything like that before.

At any rate, I'm going to close this topic for now as it really isn't going anywhere and it's clear at this point that Denuvo does not "break computers."