Black Hair In Video Games

jezus210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello all!

I wanted to share this Vice article about an open-source library of black hair for video games. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed that black hair in video games tends to be...well...terrible. I'm Hispanic, and whenever a game has a character creator, I make a person of color. Sometimes a character that looks like me but not always. And every time I make a black character, the hairstyles seem like such an afterthought that I usually just go with a buzzcut. Anyway, I hope that developers utilize this library, and maybe I can make a character with good hair for once

(I'm looking at you Mass Effect 5)

Anyway, what do y'all think? Do you feel the same way as I do? And if you're a developer, what do you think? Would it be easy to integrate content from the open-source library into your game?

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

With a few exceptions, I feel like hair of any type is not really that great. Like we're just not there yet. But it's something that needs to improve and will improve. Being able to see yourself represented in games is important.

snaketelegraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is awesome. A lot of the styles shown in the article are really showy and cool, which even if games can't use them directly I hope at least inspires some larger studios to stray from like, just bland cornrows/afro/maybe a fade or short dreads. A lot of games barely even have good options for wavy to curly hair let alone kinky. At least in games without character creators I think there's been some improvement (thinking about that lady from Deathloop and that other lady from Redfall) but I hope that spreads so people have more options to represent themselves.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sancho_Panzer

Could be lego man monohair clods for all I care.

@hippie_genocide: Hey, cool username. Was it inspired by Primal Scream, by any chance?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seem's a great idea, I'll look forward to seeing more varied hair in games. I pretty much always settle for a something bland AF in character creators because of a lack of good options.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

I thought you were talking about actual black hair and not something racial, lol

I'm all for making tools and resources devs can use rather than just complaining