• 177 results
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By zeforgotten

@Milkman: Here's me not really caring about how I may annoy you but I wasn't comparing this community to just the 8.8 "fiasco". I was comparing this community to all of System Wars on GameSpot. This community is just as terrible as IGN, GameSpot and Kotaku and it makes me laugh out loud when people think that this community doesn't have prepubescent trolls, pathetict fanboys or annoying spambots.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Karl_Boss

I remember that.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#103  Edited By swamplord666

@ZeForgotten: You were still zeforgotten if that helps! you were an internet troll before trolls were a thing.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By zeforgotten

@swamplord666: Haha, me a troll? Were you one of the people I used to bash for being amazingly retarded on the forums? If you consider that trolling then you probably didn't browse the forums as much as the rest of us. The fun thing about GameSpot forums was that you were able to derail a thread so much that even the mods didn't care. So when a thread got stupid a bunch of us just decided to take the thread and turn it into something else and then they never got locked. It turned into fun times instead of those "OMG! you'te bashing my game and console that my mom paid for" comments that were in those threads originally :P

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#105  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Slaker117 said:

@jkuc316 said:

@arab_prince said:

Twilight Princess was garbage.

I'm pissed at Jeff for not giving it below a 6.

Now that I think about it, has he ever given a score below 6 that was controversial?

I doubt it. With the way things worked back at Gamespot, the disk would have had to be broken and on fire to warrant a score that low.

Didn't he give Shenmue 2 like a 6.8, and that was the running joke before 8.8?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Milkman

@ZeForgotten said:

@Milkman: Here's me not really caring about how I may annoy you but I wasn't comparing this community to just the 8.8 "fiasco". I was comparing this community to all of System Wars on GameSpot. This community is just as terrible as IGN, GameSpot and Kotaku and it makes me laugh out loud when people think that this community doesn't have prepubescent trolls, pathetict fanboys or annoying spambots.

Sure, we have trolls, fanboys and spambots. Like I said, it's not perfect. But it's much better than most. More importantly, again, I ask: if this place is so horrible, why are you here? You didn't quite answer that question.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Hameyadea

I remember way back, in a land before time (something like 6 years ago). 8+ was a great game, nowadays anything below 9.5 is garbage. Oh, the memories.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Deusx

Oh god I remember that. I was angry too but I didn't insult Jeff. I was too immature to realize people have different opinions than mine and that reviewers should act more like Jeff in some cases.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By zeforgotten

@Milkman said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Sure, we have trolls, fanboys and spambots. Like I said, it's not perfect. But it's much better than most. More importantly, again, I ask: if this place is so horrible, why are you here? You didn't quite answer that question.

Because of guys like you who are so easy to piss off just by saying a few terrible things about your precious community ? .. No I'm kidding, that's not why.

But because, as it is with all community-based sites like this one, among all the shitty users and terrible threads, there are a few good threads worth looking at. Like the photoshop threads too.

also, the majority of my posts come from before this place got infested with all kinds of terrible people but that always happens when a site becomes more popular. I'm just glad that the youtube community is starting to come here too, those are the best comments ever :D

Edit: Is this weird spacing between my lines happening on PC too or is my phone just messed up?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Milkman

@ZeForgotten: Well, clearly you're the gold standard of internet commentating. I hope we all learned a little something today. I know I sure have.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Hameyadea said:

I remember way back, in a land before time (something like 6 years ago). 8+ was a great game, nowadays anything below 9.5 is garbage. Oh, the memories.

I have played and enjoyed both The Cursed Crusade and The First Templar.

What kind of abomination does that make me D: !?!?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By vitor

I was underwhelmed by Zelda: TP so it bothered me none when I saw the 'low' 8.8 score. Sure, it's a good game. But it already felt so archaic and similar to the prior releases that I couldn't really get into it.

Looking forward to see what Skyward Sword shook up to be getting a 10/10 from Edge and others.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By zeforgotten

@Milkman said:

@ZeForgotten: Well, clearly you're the gold standard of internet commentating. I hope we all learned a little something today. I know I sure have.

Again, I don't care if anyone learns anything from me or not. I'm not here to impress a bunch of people that I don't care enough about to even cry for if you guys died in a car accident tomorrow for some unexplained reason. But if you enjoy youtube comments more than my comments, why do you keep replying? don't you think you should have stopped sooner or perhaps just said "no" and never replied in the first place? I'm just curious.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114  Edited By veektarius

@mosdl said:

will GB give Skyrim an 11.11?

Let me tell you, if I ran this website, I would do that regardless of the quality of the game.

I would also have the GOTY awards done while drunk. That shows how committed I am to hard-hitting video game coverage.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ZeForgotten said:

GiantBomb certainly isn't perfect, but just quickly check out the comments section on IGN or the forums over on Gametrailers.

We have a much better community here.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By zeforgotten

@WinterSnowblind said:

@ZeForgotten said:

GiantBomb certainly isn't perfect, but just quickly check out the comments section on IGN or the forums over on Gametrailers.

We have a much better community here.

The problem is I see those comments here too, either for the reviews or in the specific forums for a game. I'm not saying this community is the worst but I think it's wrong to call it a community without annoying fanboys creating threads that resemble System Wars on Gamespot (The Worst Community Price goes to the Battlelog forums, seriouls go check those out. No moderators at all. Not one)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By BoG
@ZeForgotten: Well, let's be honest. This is the internet. Every site is going to have whiny babies. Every site is going to have a couple of users who complain about a game they've never played getting a low score. It has happened on GB, and it will happen again. I think, however, that most GB users tend to be the type who don't get their panties in a bunch over that sort of thing. The site was founded after Jeff was fired for being honest in a review, and the staff stated in the beginning that they would be totally honest in their subjective reviews. If that means Skyward Sword gets 3 stars, so be it. If any of us had an issue with a game getting the score it deserves, even if it is lower than we hope, we expect a duder to be a bit more mature about it considering the site's history.
Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@BoG: Who are you to assume I wear panties?

I find this generalization highly offensive.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By zeforgotten

@BoG: That's what I'm saying. I just think that when people call this place the perfect community that they're just wrong. If it was a perfect community there would be no discussions on the forums... And you mods would be bringing us all coffee in the morning. It still scares me to think that soon the Youtube commenting people will be here too with their "first" and "thumbs up so everyone sees!" comments.. Now, work hard at making this community the perfect community in the world by bringing everyone coffee! (at least the ones who drink coffee)

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@N7
Man. People were really mad at Jeff weren't they?

Fuck. I wasn't even this mad when my world got flipped, turned upside down. So I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, and tell you how I got my priorities in check and never became angry at video game scores on the internet.
I love you for this.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By swamplord666

@ZeForgotten: sorry bad choice of words. it was mostly just shit stirring. Not complaining though! i found it funny :P

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By zeforgotten

@swamplord666: Me too, good times. :P

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Aegon
Avatar image for jigsawintospace
JigsawIntoSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By JigsawIntoSpace

@aegon: That's the Gamecube version review, which came out a month or so after the Wii version. The Wii version received the 8.8 score.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what's more immediately fascinating is the thread titles. Here are some of my favorite (any emphases or parentheticals are mine).

• "Sign if you want Greg Kavision or anyone else to rerate this game."
  • "nobody will even see this topic."
  • "Get to 500 posts by posting random quotes about ZELDA..." (Talk about a real useful way to spend one's time; it was at 402 posts).
  • "Sunday is gonna be the second greatest day in history :D"
  • "Don't you see gamestop is bought by Microsoft."
  • "FINALLY AN HONEST REVIEW by AN UNBIASED SITE." (There's a lot of assumptions and contexts to this one that would be fun to break down. Mostly it's crazy how far this one is in the other direction to the above.)
  • "... It's Jeff!" (This one piques my curiosity. Probably not as good as I hope it would be.)
  • "Jeff G is on a one-man mission to kill the Wii" (This is one is kind of awesome and probably my favorite beyond that 500 posts ridiculousness and Greg Kavision).
splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what's more immediately fascinating is the thread titles. Here are some of my favorite (any emphases or parentheticals are mine).

• "Sign if you want Greg Kavision or anyone else to rerate this game."
  • "nobody will even see this topic."
  • "Get to 500 posts by posting random quotes about ZELDA..." (Talk about a real useful way to spend one's time; it was at 402 posts).
  • "Sunday is gonna be the second greatest day in history :D"
  • "Don't you see gamestop is bought by Microsoft."
  • "FINALLY AN HONEST REVIEW by AN UNBIASED SITE." (There's a lot of assumptions and contexts to this one that would be fun to break down. Mostly it's crazy how far this one is in the other direction to the above.)
  • "... It's Jeff!" (This one piques my curiosity. Probably not as good as I hope it would be.)
  • "Jeff G is on a one-man mission to kill the Wii" (This is one is kind of awesome and probably my favorite beyond that 500 posts ridiculousness and Greg Kavision).

Man I HATE that Greg Kavision guy.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Greg-Kavision is broken. I think the connector's corroded.

cyberfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compare that to the watch dogs review which got 3 stars. Most of the comments there are pretty decent, some agreeing with Jeff. Shows some progress (or just better moderation).

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Jeff's outbursts regarding Yoshi's Island?

Where is your god now...

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a pretty worthy necro. Can't believe people getting so worked-up over scores...videogame scores at that! Reminds me that I should try and find that recent-ish thread about insane Shenmue fans...

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But how many p's is Greg-kavision?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8.8 is probably the fairest score it got. An incredibly polished game with some pretty stellar graphics for the Wii that has absolutely 0 new ideas.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So.....then was the same as now?

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By thesquarepear

Nintendo fans (like many franchise fans) are hardcore passionate people who will deride 'non-believers' like Jeff. More proof in the comments to Quick Look: Mario Kart 8

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Why do people complaining about review scores? Also, an 8.8 is pretty good. Shit, anything above a 6 I will probably buy.

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha I remember the outrage at that score. I remember lurking the System Wars board on Gamespot at the time, it was so stupid. 9's were everything, and kind of still are People get upset over stupid things, what can you do?

That's also kind of inherent with having a 100 point score system. I'm sure there was tonnes of outrage over other games in the past. It made a lot of sense when they brought it down to 20 to have .5 increments. It made the review process a lot easier for the reviewers and the readers to understand. Bringing it down to 10 now wasn't necessary to be honest, but whatever.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#138  Edited By Vextroid

The new Gamespot redesign made the top part perfectly represent Jeff's 8.8!

No Caption Provided

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#139  Edited By Yummylee

Fun times. It borders on parody the reaction was so incredibly extreme. Kinda embarrassing to think back to how there's still been plenty of that sort of BS on here, too... Catherine, Lost Planet 2, DmC -- oh, it's going to take another few decades before those memories begin to dissipate.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably the reason why GB uses the 5 stars model. 75% of the games will get 4 stars anyway, so the games won't be ranked by their scores that easily ('What this game got a 7.4 while the other game got a 7.5, wtf!!')

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon:

Thank you for digging this up. The parallels between this and any website that gave GTA V a score below 9/10 are staggering.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By hippie_genocide

In retrospect, he was probably being generous with that score.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

You know, when I was, what, 9 years old, I bought into the entire system war nonsense and stupidity. SEGA for LIFE! NINTENDO SUCKS!

Then my parents brought me a N64.

Ever since that day, I've realized what all console bullshit is about:

"I can't afford X, therefore X is shit".

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Wow, never saw this thread.

Man, those topics make me frown big time. Really makes you think how dumb people can be on the internet. 8.8 is a great score.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#145  Edited By cornbredx

I probably responded to this thread when it was originally posted, but it is really gross how shitty little kids on the internet can be sometimes.

@aegon: wow that's weird. May have been skewed by the new site or something. I don't know how it handles those old algorithms or whatever.

Or maybe they did it to fuck with people haha =P

edit: oh, ha. I see people answered what that's about. heh

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, god DAMN! People were nuts back then. I don't even know what they were complaining about, an 8.8 is a great score.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like all the topics complaining about GameSTOP's review staff. Also, Greg's (who would obviously have scored the game much higher) last name is apparently Kavision, and being fat invalidates one's opinion. These are gold!

I am still laughing at Kavision. It's almost a better name.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think Jeff overrated the game.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@random45: back then? They still do that! Go on GS for a major game review and see people bitching about the score it gets.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Well, we can take solace in the fact that ssbmchamp109 took back his comments.