Board games!

Dexter345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Dexter345

Hey guys, I tried searching for a thread dedicated to the tabletop cousin of our preferred pastime, and was surprised that I wasn't able to find any.  I'm curious to know if any of you ladies and gentlemen are into board gaming as well as video gaming.  Personally, I didn't get into board games until Catan was released on XBLA, but it has snowballed since then.  I bought the tabletop version of Settlers of Catan, several expansions and spinoffs for that series, and now I have a pretty substantial collection of other board games.  Some of my favorites include:

Shadows Over Camelot (It's a co-op board game, which is a weird concept until you play it.  It's everybody vs. the game, and it's actually pretty difficult sometimes.)
Quarto! (It's like a more complicated tic-tac-toe, and it's great because games only last five minutes, so it's a good game to play while everybody is deciding what big game to play.)
Memoir '44 (It's a really good World War II board game, which is a genre that isn't quite played out in the tabletop arena like it is in the video game universe.)

I'm also really interested in checking out the game Descent: Journeys in the Dark, but I currently lack the extra funds to make a major purchase like that (costs more than a new video game).  Anybody else out there into board gaming?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By mazik765

I've played Catan a few times with some friends, but I don't own it nor do I play any tabletop games with any degree of regularity (except for the occasional game of Warhammer 40k...but that's not a board game). I would love to play more of Catan or some other games but not many people I know who want to put that much time into a board game.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Example1013

I own 2 Risk sets (one is missing pieces, hence the new one), multiple Monopoly sets, and 2 Stratego sets. Kickin' it old school.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Tally_Pants

i play board games like Monopoly / Risk (regular & LOTR which is actually pretty fun) / Sorry / Pictionary etc

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Example1013
@Tally_Pants: I've never bought a themed Risk game because their rulebooks only account for 2 factions. My friends and I are cutthroats, so we play real Risk (AKA free-for-all). I know you could just use regular Risk rules, but that doesn't account for the fact that there's also pretty much only 2 kinds of pieces as well. 

Pictionary isn't technically a board game, unless you're playing it on a black/whiteboard.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tally_Pants
@example1013: LOTR risk is the only "spin-off" title i'v played, and its only good v bad but its suprisingly fun, but typically if i can manage to convince people to play risk with me its the regular free-for-all risk. Long Live Australia!!
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Example1013
@Tally_Pants said:
" @example1013: LOTR risk is the only "spin-off" title i'v played, and its only good v bad but its suprisingly fun, but typically if i can manage to convince people to play risk with me its the regular free-for-all risk. Long Live Australia!! "
Dude FUCK australia. Cheapest shit ever in any game of all time.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Yanngc33

I have loads of Monopolies and Risks and other stuff including a Pokemon game

Dexter345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dexter345
@example1013 said:
" Dude FUCK australia. Cheapest shit ever in any game of all time. "
Yeah, Australia has been a balance issue since Risk first came out all those years ago.  Some of the newer sets address it, but personally, I won't play standard Risk any more, because the games just take too long.  Risk with objectives like in Risk: Factions is A-OK though.
Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have played Monopoly before but not much or correctly. I used to play chess a decent amount as well and enjoyed it, but I haven't played in a few years now.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Punk1984

Dude you need a boardgame fix? Get ZOMBIES!!! and a case of beer; you'll be set.

Dexter345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dexter345
@Punk1984:  I actually have Zombies!!!, and I'd say it's just all right.  I really like everything about the cards--the artwork, the flavor text, the effects--but the game itself is a bit disappointing.  I'd actually be interested in modifying the rules to make it cooperative instead of competitive, Left 4 Dead style.
Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Punk1984
@Dexter345: I think your problem is your playing it wrong. You see the zombies aren't your enemies the other survivors are. You need to do everything you can to eff those people up. Don't try to co-op it (unless your doing to be sneaky. I see how you are like a ZOMBIES!!! ninja get them to lower their guard and then BAM! "Shoes Tied") :)
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By mfpantst

Diplomacy is the beast board game ever.  If you don't like it, FUCK you.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By butano

Carcassonne is a good one, Arkham Horror is a fantastic one as well. Munchkin is a card game, but that one is fun to play in a group setting.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By SSully
@mfpantst said:
" Diplomacy is the beast board game ever.  If you don't like it, FUCK you. "
I just read on Amazon that is takes 6 hours to play. FUCK THAT
bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#17  Edited By bobafettjm

Blokus is a really fun puzzleish board game. 7 Wonders is also a pretty awesome game.

Truitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Truitt

I think you've made a good start. So many good games to choose from that aren't Monopoly or Risk.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FateOfNever

Let's see, board games I can think of that I own off the top of my head - Betrayal at House on the Hill, Risk Godstorm, Risk 2210, Risk, Monopoly, Stratego... I also really want to check out the Arkham Horror game(s) but, money's tight so haven't had the chance to pick it up lately.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mfpantst
@SSully said:
" @mfpantst said:
" Diplomacy is the beast board game ever.  If you don't like it, FUCK you. "
I just read on Amazon that is takes 6 hours to play. FUCK THAT "
If you can't devote six hours of your otherwise meaningless life to play a game that is part strategy part socio-dynamic experiment.  Then fuck you.

Seriosuly though, Diplomacy is one of the purest 'foreign-policy'/strategy games you can play.  There are no dice rules, and a set number of units that you can have on the map and a 1 on 1 attack always ends up in a tie.  You only get by with careful negotiation and sound expansion policies.  Worth the 6 hours.  There's also online variants where each turn lasts a week- giving way for more diplomacy.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tally_Pants
@example1013 said:
" @Tally_Pants said:
" @example1013: LOTR risk is the only "spin-off" title i'v played, and its only good v bad but its suprisingly fun, but typically if i can manage to convince people to play risk with me its the regular free-for-all risk. Long Live Australia!! "
Dude FUCK australia. Cheapest shit ever in any game of all time. "
Its a solid tactic...4 territories, 1 entrance, 2 bonus army men. its not a huge help but its still a sweet advantage. If it wasn't meant to be utilized then you think they'd take it out of the game... Risk has been around long enough lol
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Example1013
@Tally_Pants said:
" @example1013 said:
" @Tally_Pants said:
Its a solid tactic...4 territories, 1 entrance, 2 bonus army men. its not a huge help but its still a sweet advantage. If it wasn't meant to be utilized then you think they'd take it out of the game... Risk has been around long enough lol "
They have taken it out. Multiple times. I just happened to receive a board where they put it back in. 

I wouldn't have gotten another risk game if I hadn't lost my Risk II CD-ROM, though. That was a good version.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mfpantst
@example1013 said:
" @Tally_Pants said:
" @example1013 said:
" @Tally_Pants said:
Its a solid tactic...4 territories, 1 entrance, 2 bonus army men. its not a huge help but its still a sweet advantage. If it wasn't meant to be utilized then you think they'd take it out of the game... Risk has been around long enough lol "
They have taken it out. Multiple times. I just happened to receive a board where they put it back in.  I wouldn't have gotten another risk game if I hadn't lost my Risk II CD-ROM, though. That was a good version. "
So on the australia Topic- it's only a real obstacle to domination if you're playing with cards and the value of the trade in goes up and the player who has australia uses his cards later in the game- i find Australia too conquerable otherwise and just stay away from that shit.  Europe or africa/South America for me!
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Example1013
@mfpantst said:
" @example1013 said:
" @Tally_Pants said:
" @example1013 said:
" @Tally_Pants said:
They have taken it out. Multiple times. I just happened to receive a board where they put it back in.  I wouldn't have gotten another risk game if I hadn't lost my Risk II CD-ROM, though. That was a good version. "
So on the australia Topic- it's only a real obstacle to domination if you're playing with cards and the value of the trade in goes up and the player who has australia uses his cards later in the game- i find Australia too conquerable otherwise and just stay away from that shit.  Europe or africa/South America for me! "
The problem with Australia is that, if someone takes it on the first turn, they can just put all their damn troops on either the one border country or Siam and just sit there, because they get an extra 2 reinforcements each turn to make up for the fact that they're not taking any territory with the main body of their armies, while the rest of us have to scrap it out for a continent because no other continent is more than half as defensible as Australia as far as continental borders go. South America is the next-best thing, and it's still got 2 continental borders (or twice as many as Australia).
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By imsh_pl

Settlers of Catan
Munchkin
Risk 

Also Quarto is one of the most strategic games I've ever played.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mfpantst
@example1013:  See I've rarely seen that work, because eventually you need to be taking over territories for cards and the 'australia' only player seems to get screwed in that equation.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Example1013
@mfpantst: Well see, what you do is you take over Australia on the first turn, camp out a bunch of guys at the border, and then just use your reinforcements and a non-Australia territory (since you start out with about 10 territories owned) to conquer other areas and get Risk cards. And you're offsetting the 6+ guys who you have camped out at the border of Australia by getting 2 more reinforcements per turn than everyone else, starting with the second turn. So by the fourth turn, it's about evened itself out as far as cost vs. reward. 

Or you can take an alternate tactic, and use all those troops on the Australian border to take over like China or Mongolia, and then Tactical move back to the border at the end of your turn. And if you do that, you can both turtle on Australia and conquer territory with your main body of troops.
Dexter345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dexter345
@mfpantst: Hearing "no dice rules" is always a plus for me.  I was actually underwhelmed the one time I played Arkham Horror because combat is purely dice rolls.  I have a friend who loves Diplomacy, and he used to try to get me to play it during high school, but I never did for some reason.  I'd love to give it a shot.  Might have to wait until PAX where I can rent out a copy for free.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mfpantst
@Dexter345:  Yes you ought check it out.  There is a website for playing online, diplomacy.ca (yes it's canadian and in this case, that's good).  But you really need to play it in person a couple times or two to get a handle on how the game works.  The rules are generally simple (because there are only two unit types) but also moderately complex because of how movement works.  

There are boats and armies.  Armies can move or support.  Boats can move, support or transport.  It's been a while since I've played the game- but in general on unit can occupy one square and attacking a square that another unit already occupies requires greater numbers in terms of support than the opposing piece has.  A tie in numbers of the attack unit+support implicitly goes to the defender (defender is not ousted) however a tie in terms of moving into a neutral territory results in nobody occupying the territory.  You also enter in retreat orders seperately (I believe) incase you realize that you will lose a territory to attack.  If you enter no retreat, your unit is lost.  

You have x many total units as you have x supply centers (supply centers are special territories on the map), so expansion is strictly limited to your country's control of supply centers.  As such- the map is pretty evenly divided between supply center and non-supply center points.

See- so the game is complex in a neat way.  Strategy of the game comes down to how well you can negotiate with your co-players to your advantage- and how well you can strategically lie (or strategically read someone else's lie to you) during the negotiation sessions between each turn.
Dexter345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dexter345

I've just been informed that there is a Battlestar Galactica board game and it sounds awesome.  semi-cooperative, with accusations flying like in Shadows Over Camelot.  I want it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By JJOR64

CROSSFIRE!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SlightConfuse
@Tally_Pants said:

me and my friends would play LOTR risk all the time, fun spin off 

Agricola  is a civ- like  game where you build a farm and have to manage  resources in order to build the best farm.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mfpantst
@JJOR64 said:

" CROSSFIRE!

"
this.
Deltex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deltex
amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By amir90

I can recommend the board game Talisman, it takes awhile to finish thou :P

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By ESREVER
@Deltex: Fantasy Flight does Twilight Imperium. I haven't played too many board games, but TI is fuckin' awesome to play with a bunch of people. 

It's very much like the 4X style of game, and it can take roughly around 12 hours to finish a game. My classmates and I use to hold weekends dedicated to this game. The politics and combat make diplomacy such a great part about this game because how hilarious certain outcomes can be.. The rule book is sort of intimidating, but once you get past the two hours it takes to set it up, it such a blast to play. Because the board is made up of movable hex tiles, it allows each and every game to be played different. You will have a different universe made for each game. 

Highly recommend board game fans to check this game out as well as its expansion. There's a bunch of modifiers built in as well if you're looking to mix things up a little.

Deltex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Deltex

@ESREVER looks interesting i might have to pick up a copy :)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

There need to be better ways to play Board Games online.  Still upset about that Arkham Horror game we had here on the forums that broke down about halfway through.  I'd just gotten deputized.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By crusader8463

I love me some Risk, but I never had friends to play it with so I have never gotten to play a real game of it. Other then that though, playing trouble, checkers, and monopoly with my mom as a kid is the most varied I have gotten with board games. I love playing board games and would play every one going, but they cost too much and they all require friends to play against. Two things I have never had access to. 

I love me some chess too, but sadly I never got to play much of it. My High School started lunch Chess games that got really popular for a while, literally half the school was playing it at one point, but it died off real fast because we never had the time to finish a lot of the games.

Dexter345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dexter345
@ESREVER:  That looks like it's right up my alley.  I have a weakness for hex grids, in board games and video games.  Although, 12 hour games doesn't sound appealing to me.  One of the reasons I like Memoir '44 is that it's a good strategy war game that only takes about 45 minutes per round.  Shadows Over Camelot takes about an hour and a half once you know the rules, and even then I have trouble convincing my friends to invest the time.